OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I wonder if what happened wasn't the consequence of what Rebel Wilson said. Like Will saw this and thought the next person that says something about my wife, I'll do something about it.
I'm sure it had a little something to do with it, but not just that. Clearly, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Smith is a comedian himself, been in the industry for over 30 years, he's a megastar, and he's not this violent disrespectful type. Heck, even his movie called ''bad boys'' is ironically about being....great cops.
He also raps proudly about how he's reached the type and never relied on cuss words to fill his songs.
This is very out of character of him, and with his wife cheating, it's clear the man is going through some stuff.

Reactions: Kimota and Redux91

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think anyone who believes this was staged at this point will never change their mind. It crossed my mind as a possibility initially, but in hindsight, having a chance to reflect on what happened I think the chances this was staged are close to zero. Will Smith has nothing to gain by portraying himself as a real life asshole that abuses ppl in the name of entertainment or for the academy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done long term damage to his brand and has trouble getting roles in the future.

I agree with KrissE here, there is no reward/motive for either Chris Rock or Will Smith to do this as a scheme. Especially for Will Smith. This is only damaging, there is nothing positive to come from it. There are obviously marital problems here that led Will to react this way.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It seems you just want it to be fake and so are looking at any tidbit to give credence to your opinion.
Chris Rock was laughing when Smith walked up to him because he's a comedian, Smith is at the very least a good acquaintance if not a friend, so he's probably thinking he's going to say/do something funny or harmless.
In no way is he thinking ''Will Smith is going to hit me'', and you can tell that by his reaction.
Heck, you, yourself, say it's inconceivable someone would do that, so there you go. Everyone agrees that's it's inconceivable, Chris Rock included, which explains his reaction.
It's inconceivable someone gets turned on by having someone else take a dump on their face and yet, it happens.

And again, if it were to be fake, you have not come up with a single credible motive as to why they'd do that. Money? Fame? No, they both have more than plenty of it. Ratings? Nope, they don't work for the Academy. So why??
Not to mention, neither of those guys are known for that type of comedy. If it was Jim Carey, then I'd be more inclined to side with you, but it wasn't.
Rock is staying relatively quiet about the whole thing and I read that he was discouraging fans from saying bad things about Smith during his current nightclub tour. I believed it was fake because no one has ever seen something like this happen during an awards show, it was f***ing weird and it looked staged. Smith laughed initially when Rock made the GI Jane remark and then he's up on stage walking towards him and the incident happens, it all looked like a WWE bit to me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Rock is staying relatively quiet about the whole thing and I read that he was discouraging fans from saying bad things about Smith during his current nightclub tour. I believed it was fake because no one has ever seen something like this happen during an awards show, it was f***ing weird and it looked staged. Smith laughed initially when Rock made the GI Jane remark and then he's up on stage walking towards him and the incident happens, it all looked like a WWE bit to me.
Yes, sure, we all had the same initial thought of "it's gotta be fake", but we've had time to analyze and process this and it's pretty clear by now it was not staged.
At this point, you're only being stubborn.

Apr 28, 2010
They need to step up and punish him, if a fan rushed the stage and did something like that he/she would have been cuffed and thrown in jail. I felt it was staged because I couldn't believe that someone that famous would risk everything over a joke. I still can't understand why Rock stood there with his hands behind his back and just took it, hence the reason I thought it was staged.

Will Smith will risk everything for Jada. It wasn't because of the joke.
He's been dealing with this insecurity even when Tupac was still alive.
Jada has embarrassed him enough and still wouldn't get a divorce.

Will knew there would be consequences either way.
If he didn't do shit = Jada will shit on him
If he did = hollywood will shit on him

He chose the latter.

Definition of a broken man..

As for Rock, I thought he was just being a professional on national TV and he's actually in a good place in his life. I couldn't imagine him retaliating there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Will Smith will risk everything for Jada. It wasn't because of the joke.
He's been dealing with this insecurity even when Tupac was still alive.
Jada has embarrassed him enough and still wouldn't get a divorce.

Will knew there would be consequences either way.
If he didn't do shit = Jada will shit on him
If he did = hollywood will shit on him

He chose the latter.

Definition of a broken man..

As for Rock, I thought he was just being a professional on national TV and he's actually in a good place in his life. I couldn't imagine him retaliating there.
He handled it well, but that joke was a low blow.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And yet Smith had been working under exclusive directions from God.

There is no “world of love and kindness” where Smith is involved. He didn’t apologize to Rock in his acceptance speech. In fact, he doubled down by justifying his role as a protector.

I hope they prevent him from attending next year’s Awards. If he wants to really make a difference, forget the stylized after-the-fact hollow apologies. Let him put his time and money toward actions that make a difference for victims of violence. And maybe learn a little humility along the way.
Jeeze, Runner, you're asking for too much now. He's just an actor. He only knows how to pretend to do those things in movies, not actually do them in real life.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Many people maintain Will Smith was triggered by an insult to his wife. At first I thought he was triggered by Jada's death stare.

But then something occurred to me. G.I. Jane is the story of a woman becoming tough as a man. Seeing as Jada pressured him to have an open talk on national TV about her cuckolding him, maybe Will understood the joke as Chris Rock saying she wears the pants in the house.

Reactions: Runner77
Apr 28, 2010
He handled it well, but that joke was a low blow.
It was a mild joke. It wasn't even considered disrespectful. Not enough to get your face slapped in front of an audience. Could've just walked away or dealt with it off camera.

Like I said, the slap wasn't even about the joke. It's more of a reaction to please Queen Jada. Will is that desperate.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm sure it had a little something to do with it, but not just that. Clearly, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Smith is a comedian himself, been in the industry for over 30 years, he's a megastar, and he's not this violent disrespectful type. Heck, even his movie called ''bad boys'' is ironically about being....great cops.
He also raps proudly about how he's reached the type and never relied on cuss words to fill his songs.
This is very out of character of him, and with his wife cheating, it's clear the man is going through some stuff.

I'm not excusing him but it's a pure toxic relationship that he should done away with a long time ago. I remember when Smith started dating her, people were shocked because she always liked bad boys. And they were thinking he was too nice for her and he would never be enough. Many people saw this early, even myself who I am basically a bystander and don't know their private life. But little I knew HOW she would not be satisfied. ;) It's time for him to move on.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I really like Severance but I the latest episode was stretched a bit just to delay an important event to the next episode. I wish I could binge the series instead of waiting for the weekly episode.

Reactions: Beaker

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One of the mildest jokes ever told.
It was tasteless when looking at the context. He's no hero. That being said, he absolutely did not deserve to get slapped over it.

Anyways, it gave me an excuse to finally make one of those Batman comic things. :laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
One of the mildest jokes ever told.

It was very disrespectful.

You'd call someone mocking your wife's medical condition mild? Ok.

He chose to run his mouth, and he has to deal with the consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It was very disrespectful.

You'd call someone mocking your wife's medical condition mild? Ok.

He chose to run his mouth, and he has to deal with the consequences.
Well context matters.
If I'm going grocery shopping and a grown man laughs at my girl, then ya, I'll confront him about it as it would be disrespectful.
But if I'm attending a show with many friends, colleagues, peers, an award show where presenters/hosts have a longstanding history of cracking daggers, and an acquaintance/friend of mine throws a little shade my girl's way then no....I'm not going to take this personal. They do it at the Oscars, emmys, grammys, heck...even the freaking Espys.

Let's be clear here, the joke was not insulting. He referenced GI Jane, who btw is this bad ass soldier who had to fight and prove that women can be just as good of soldiers as men. She literally is fighting for the entire female gender in military and comes out on top. So if a little comparison to her shaved haircut is what is oh-so-disrespectful then what about all the other jokes like....Rebel Wilson saying ''Will Smith did great in King Richard but his best performance is being okay with all of his wife's boyfriends''??..or what about all the Ricky Gervais jokes??..
Some need to loosen up a bit.

And for real, we're talking about hair loss here...not f***ing cancer, not aids, not some paralysis. Yes, I know how important it is, but this isn't some life threatening or debilitating disease. JPS also has publicly been speaking about this for years and has embraced her reality. She also still looks quite good in her shaved head.

At worst this is a bad joke, or in poor taste, but very disrespectful?? Hell no, he didn't call her ugly or sick.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well context matters.
If I'm going grocery shopping and a grown man laughs at my girl, then ya, I'll confront him about it as it would be disrespectful.
But if I'm attending a show with many friends, colleagues, peers, an award show where presenters/hosts have a longstanding history of cracking daggers, and an acquaintance/friend of mine throws a little shade my girl's way then no....I'm not going to take this personal. They do it at the Oscars, emmys, grammys, heck...even the freaking Espys.

Let's be clear here, the joke was not insulting. He referenced GI Jane, who btw is this bad ass soldier who had to fight and prove that women can be just as good of soldiers as men. She literally is fighting for the entire female gender in military and comes out on top. So if a little comparison to her shaved haircut is what is oh-so-disrespectful then what about all the other jokes like....Rebel Wilson saying ''Will Smith did great in King Richard but his best performance is being okay with all of his wife's boyfriends''??..or what about all the Ricky Gervais jokes??..
Some need to loosen up a bit.

And for real, we're talking about hair loss here...not f***ing cancer, not aids, not some paralysis. Yes, I know how important it is, but this isn't some life threatening or debilitating disease. JPS also has publicly been speaking about this for years and has embraced her reality. She also still looks quite good in her shaved head.

At worst this is a bad joke, or in poor taste, but very disrespectful?? Hell no, he didn't call her ugly or sick.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see them both apologize to each other and move on.

If there really aren't any other underlying issues between them that led to this and are part of the context, that shouldn't be a problem.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
At the end of the day, I'd like to see them both apologize to each other and move on.

If there really aren't any other underlying issues between them that led to this and are part of the context, that shouldn't be a problem.
Chris Rock has nothing to apologize for. You are also opening up a very dangerous door. Should comic's apologize any time someone takes their jokes too personal? Might as well just stop stand up comedy. That's ridiculous.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Chris Rock has nothing to apologize for. You are also opening up a very dangerous door. Should comic's apologize any time someone takes their jokes too personal? Might as well just stop stand up comedy. That's ridiculous.
No not any time. But yes, sometimes they do, as we've seen in the past...

I don't think you're necessarily reading the context right when you say he was comparing her to a superhero/action figure in a positive light...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No not any time. But yes, sometimes they do, as we've seen in the past...

I don't think you're necessarily reading the context right when you say he was comparing her to a superhero/action figure in a positive light...
I think his point was very clear, Jada shaved her head, let's do a bit on GI Jane. That's it that's all.
Even he says it after "Dude...it was a GI Jaaane joke".
Again, it's alopecia, she's not doing f***ing chemo, and she's been openly discussing it for years.
The context is easy to read, you just have some way overreacting. It was not disrespectful in the least, at most you can say bad/poor joke, that does not warrant an apology.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad