OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
The season finale of Severance was amazing.
One of the best sci-fi/fantasy show I have seen in years.
I can't wait for season 2.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The season finale of Severance was amazing.
One of the best sci-fi/fantasy show I have seen in years.
I can't wait for season 2.
Was waiting for the season to finish before jumping in — don’t like waiting between episodes. Good to know it was well liked.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Was waiting for the season to finish before jumping in — don’t like waiting between episodes. Good to know it was well liked.
The last episode has a 9.8 rating on imdb (1.4k ratings so far).
The show may not be for everyone but I think the premise is brilliant and fascinating.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I wonder what impact it’s going to have on his acting career. Can’t imagine how anyone would want to consider him any time soon. Wouldn’t surprise me if the general public wanted to boycott him.
For me, it has no impact at all. I really think there is a collective over reaction to a simple incident. Honestly, where is the red line in a situation like this ? If Chris Rock would have insulted his kid would have Smith’s reaction been more acceptable? What if Rock would have squeezed her harm instead of insulting her ?
I honestly don’t see how biatch slapping is worse than verbal abuse .
Should PK Subban be prevented from donating money and spendin time at a children’s hospital because he gets into a fight a couple times a year ?
Even if it’s not for my generation, I’m ok with wokism and cancel culture for specific things like weeding out sexual predators and xénophobes, but for this Rock-Smith altercation? Gimme a break ….

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
For me, it has no impact at all. I really think there is a collective over reaction to a simple incident. Honestly, where is the red line in a situation like this ? If Chris Rock would have insulted his kid would have Smith’s reaction been more acceptable? What if Rock would have squeezed her harm instead of insulting her ?
Should PK Subban be prevented from donating money and spendin time at a children’s hospital because he gets into a fight a couple times a year ?
Even if it’s not for my generation, I’m ok with wokism and cancel culture for specific things like weeding out sexual predators and xénophobes, but for this Rock-Smith altercation? Gimme a break ….
All the cancel culture crap aside.....

You don't think physically assaulting someone is worse then calling them names?

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012

Call me old school, but I have for my part never 'not' reacted to an agression. either physical or verbal. Also, I have never ever been the one to initiate any agression , either physical or verbal with anybody.
I think we have come to an era where people think they can say or write anything about anyone without any consequence ; and that doesn't fly. Controlled violence and agression is, and will always be one of the many solutions to prevent unneccesary escalation.
I don't know these two dudes, but I'm pretty sure that the situation is resolved by both parties now.
In my opinion for this precise incident, the as4&hole is the one who initiated the conflict, not the one who reacted to it.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Call me old school, but I have for my part never 'not' reacted to an agression. either physical or verbal. Also, I have never ever been the one to initiate any agression , either physical or verbal with anybody.
I think we have come to an era where people think they can say or write anything about anyone without any consequence ; and that doesn't fly. Controlled violence and agression is, and will always be one of the many solutions to prevent unneccesary escalation.
I don't know these two dudes, but I'm pretty sure that the situation is resolved by both parties now.
In my opinion for this precise incident, the as4&hole is the one who initiated the conflict, not the one who reacted to it.
You'd do nothing in this particular setting which is the right action to take. This want some bar or street situation.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

It's the context. Slapping someone on the street and at the Oscars is a completely different thing. I don't think Will should be punished about getting movie roles cause he didn't cause any trouble on a movie set. He should be mainly punished for his actions in the context by which they happened. He did the slap at the Oscars so the Academy are punishing him for ten years so he cannot attend this place. So that's fine. Just like when you fight in hockey, you get a 5 minutes and are not punished outside

When you attend a show with stand up comedians there's a sort of society convention, a deal if you will with the spectactors and the person telling the jokes. Just like court jesters in the medieval days. Their roles is to laugh at the World and even the spectactors listening to the person telling the jokes. And the spectactors can become the butt of the jokes as well even if it hurts. It's sort of the concept of laughing at yourself and letting your ego aside. And if you don't want that, then don't go to this show or don't put yourself close to the stage. Furthermore the Oscars are supposed to be holy ground. A place of class, of happiness, of honoring the greats. It's the same as a sport Hall of Fame. People dress up for possibly their greatest moment in their lives. What happened with Will was ugly, ungentlemenly, something you would see in the streets from the slapping, bad language, shouting, bringing a negative vibe to everybody's heart. When it should have been their moments. He disgraced the place. So there should be punishment.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

No question. Rock could have been dealt with after the show, in a civilized manner. There is no place for violence in the particular context where Smith acted.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No question. Rock could have been dealt with after the show, in a civilized manner. There is no place for violence in the particular context where Smith acted.
Totally agree but if you would have the power to remove that slap from history MIB style and nobody would remember anything including Rock would you? I certainly would not XD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Totally agree but if you would have the power to remove that slap from history MIB style and nobody would remember anything including Rock would you? I certainly would not XD
I'd rather not remember than to have witnessed the sad incident that happened.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Verbal abuse? Jesus...he didn't even make fun of her baldness, he simply acknowledged that she had a shaved head by referencing a movie.

I dont believe in cancel culture but I am capable of identifying context and making a joke about having a shaved head is in no way shape or form the same thing as physically attacking someone. Like....it has nothing comparable.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'd rather not remember than to have witnessed the sad incident that happened.
That's the thing about publicity stunts,they live on in infinity.Who can forget ''nipplegate'' or the Madonna/ Spears thing? I don't watch football or shows like that and even I know about them as does most of the modern western world and most likely others as well.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
These are always fun.

That's a talent! I know little about ''art'' but always thought that artists aspire to become great portrait artists like Rembrandt van Rijn and deviate to other styles as not being able to do so,but of course that's open to debate of which I disqualify myself as not an area of expertise,much to the chagrin of a many of relatives.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Didn't know where to put this,but here should be fine as it is a form of entertainment:dunno:
Not sure if there are cooler, trippy elevator rides out there.:cool:

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
In maybe the last edition of this thread there was some talk about good war movies. I have been watching my fair share recently, and just found a pretty good one that war movie junkies should probably watch if they haven't already. It's called The Big Red One (The Reconstruction). The Big Red One

If anyone has seen it or watches it let me know what you think.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Didn't know where to put this,but here should be fine as it is a form of entertainment:dunno:
Not sure if there are cooler, trippy elevator rides out there.:cool:

Most people are just content getting to the floor they need to go without a breakdown. My daughter and others in her condo building got stuck several times in the elevator that services it — and here we are witnessing a whole other level of production for an elevator ride. Looks like it could be something borne from the whims of a rich f*** who doesn’t know what to do with his/her money — maybe even a day trading crypto incel.

Imagine the cost of living or working in a building housing that kind of contraption. The perfect enticement for the offspring of an oligarch.

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad