OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well context matters.
If I'm going grocery shopping and a grown man laughs at my girl, then ya, I'll confront him about it as it would be disrespectful.
But if I'm attending a show with many friends, colleagues, peers, an award show where presenters/hosts have a longstanding history of cracking daggers, and an acquaintance/friend of mine throws a little shade my girl's way then no....I'm not going to take this personal. They do it at the Oscars, emmys, grammys, heck...even the freaking Espys.

Let's be clear here, the joke was not insulting. He referenced GI Jane, who btw is this bad ass soldier who had to fight and prove that women can be just as good of soldiers as men. She literally is fighting for the entire female gender in military and comes out on top. So if a little comparison to her shaved haircut is what is oh-so-disrespectful then what about all the other jokes like....Rebel Wilson saying ''Will Smith did great in King Richard but his best performance is being okay with all of his wife's boyfriends''??..or what about all the Ricky Gervais jokes??..
Some need to loosen up a bit.

And for real, we're talking about hair loss here...not f***ing cancer, not aids, not some paralysis. Yes, I know how important it is, but this isn't some life threatening or debilitating disease. JPS also has publicly been speaking about this for years and has embraced her reality. She also still looks quite good in her shaved head.

At worst this is a bad joke, or in poor taste, but very disrespectful?? Hell no, he didn't call her ugly or sick.
That's exactly how Bill Maher approached it in the opening monologue of his show (some foul language):

Maher also alluded to a some kind of altercation that apparently occurred between Will Smith and Liza Minelli -- his version of a joke, I guess.

To your point about context, it should also be said that Pinkett is a celeb in her own right, having appeared in several high profile movies -- granted, she's not a top level celeb but she is more than than a girlfriend or wife who is not a celeb -- Pinkett very much has a public profile. She makes a living in the entertainment industry and is part of that circle and understands what stand-ups like Chris Rock do.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I finally found evidence of the Will Smith/ Liza Minelli shoving match:

Kg1ilbf.jpg

🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota and PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Oscars all too often offer moralizing type messaging about doing the right thing, putting in hard work, how anyone can do it if the (insert name here) Oscar winner was able to do it, about life, etc.

But then, in unscripted moments, this happens:

Smith is asked to leave after the incident but has the gall to refuse. Apparently, Rock told Academy officials that he didn't want Smith to be removed by force. Man, if that's how it came down, Rock showed a lot of restraint.

Despite his assault of Rock, he is allowed to receive an award while the Academy does nothing to limit his time on stage. Shows no remorse whatsoever toward Chris Rock.

Follows that up with full on after-Oscar party celebration, as if nothing had happened:

And of course, all too easy to act tough and entitled when the individual you're assaulting is Chris Rock ...

Not surprisingly, Smith will bear the brunt of jokes that are continuing to write themselves.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Delete

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The Oscars all too often offer moralizing type messaging about doing the right thing, putting in hard work, how anyone can do it if the (insert name here) Oscar winner was able to do it, about life, etc.

But then, in unscripted moments, this happens:

Smith is asked to leave after the incident but has the gall to refuse. Apparently, Rock told Academy officials that he didn't want Smith to be removed by force. Man, if that's how it came down, Rock showed a lot of restraint.

Despite his assault of Rock, he is allowed to receive an award while the Academy does nothing to limit his time on stage. Shows no remorse whatsoever toward Chris Rock.

Follows that up with full on after-Oscar party celebration, as if nothing had happened:

And of course, all too easy to act tough and entitled when the individual you're assaulting is Chris Rock ...

Not surprisingly, Smith will bear the brunt of jokes that are continuing to write themselves.

To Robyn's point...Smith ruined his oscar night forever. This is no longer the night Smith won best actor, it's the night he lost his mind and slapped a comic.
Man is losing a lot of respect and fans.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
To Robyn's point...Smith ruined his oscar night forever. This is no longer the night Smith won best actor, it's the night he lost his mind and slapped a comic.
I'm wondering whether both are toxic individuals... Will and Jada.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder what impact it’s going to have on his acting career. Can’t imagine how anyone would want to consider him any time soon. Wouldn’t surprise me if the general public wanted to boycott him.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I wonder what impact it’s going to have on his acting career. Can’t imagine how anyone would want to consider him any time soon. Wouldn’t surprise me if the general public wanted to boycott him.
The world will forget tho. Smith is a simp for his wife though, after all the bs with her cheating and him crying on ET I’m sure he can be reacast as a romantic

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The world will forget tho. Smith is a simp for his wife though, after all the bs with her cheating and him crying on ET I’m sure he can be reacast as a romantic
His talent agency, law firm and celebrity reputation makeover experts are probably devising a script for it as we're writing this. Typical Hollywood.

Last edited:
Reactions: GardinerTheForward

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The Servant S3 : That same weird, slow moving story and sinister vibe as the first two season. A little disapointed there's still so many things left unanswer, after 3 seasons I'm still not sure at all of what actually going on. But strong acting performance and super uncomfortable atmosphere kept me going. 7.6\10

Moonfall : I don't know. The acting was meh, the special effect are okay for that type of movie......but the scenario, the story, just don't make any sense and even stupid at many points. They just invent stuff at every turn to put a crazy story and tons of special effects together. They could have stick with the starting plot and developed well instead of this overload of none sense 5.2\10
Same for Moonfall. Trying to recreate Independence Day, Emmerich failed again. Nothing can. He’s obsessed by the moon, BTW.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I think anyone who believes this was staged at this point will never change their mind. It crossed my mind as a possibility initially, but in hindsight, having a chance to reflect on what happened I think the chances this was staged are close to zero. Will Smith has nothing to gain by portraying himself as a real life asshole that abuses ppl in the name of entertainment or for the academy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done long term damage to his brand and has trouble getting roles in the future.

I agree with KrissE here, there is no reward/motive for either Chris Rock or Will Smith to do this as a scheme. Especially for Will Smith. This is only damaging, there is nothing positive to come from it. There are obviously marital problems here that led Will to react this way.
People have to realize that Will Smith is going through some serious mental health issues. His biography did a lot to create more turmoil last fall. Add to it his wife’s personal (public) life. His reaction was that of a man who’s father wasn’t the best role model (to say the least); he is now starting to cope with the after effects.
He will be shun by Hollywood for a couple of years.
He needs to take a break and escape in Nepal or something. And consult.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Same for Moonfall. Trying to recreate Independence Day, Emmerich failed again. Nothing can. He’s obsessed by the moon, BTW.
In a related concept, Luna, the Roman goddess of the moon, begat the word “lunatic.”

Reactions: dinodebino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Wouldn't go as far as a boycott. He messed up, but he also didn't kill anyone. I'm not one for cancel culture.
I'll still watch a movie if he plays in one I find interesting, I just lost some respect for the man.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wouldn't go as far as a boycott. He messed up, but he also didn't kill anyone. I'm not one for cancel culture.
I'll still watch a movie if he plays in one I find interesting, I just lost some respect for the man.
I was never a fan, so no love lost. But, I can see how some might be able to separate the incident from his movies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Will Smith slapped with 10 year misconduct penalty. Plus an additional two minutes for roughing.

Enjoy your time in the box.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I watched a bit of Star Trek PIcard. It's a lot better than Discovery, and guess who shows up to screw with Jean-Luc?

His old nemesis Q. They find themselves in a different reality cause J.L. did something in the past he shouldn't have, and now they must fix it. Typical Trek fare.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad