OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Season 1 of true detective is one of the best show ever made.
Yeah it was really special I heard season 2 is meh but me and my girl are open to watching even if its a little less good than season 1, heard season 3 is good would you recommend both?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah it was really special I heard season 2 is meh but me and my girl are open to watching even if its a little less good than season 1, heard season 3 is good would you recommend both?
Started season 2 but could not finish. Did not work for me. Heard the end is better than the beginning though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think it was staged, one joke that Smith laughed at, and then he goes all WWE at the Oscars of all places? I smell BS.

1 - Will laughed at the joke.

2 - The slap didn't even look that real. It's almost as if Chris Rock braced for it and turned his face.

3 - As soon as Rock got slapped, he just carried on. No rubbing his face, no adjusting his jaw. He just got "slapped" and simply said "Will Smith just smacked the shit out of me." He didn't miss a beat.

Also, when Will walked back off the stage, he had a smirk on his face. And then suddenly he gets angry?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
All 3 are incredible
1 and 3 are on equal footing (10/10) and 2 is still a 9.8/10

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

2 - The slap didn't even look that real. It's almost as if Chris Rock braced for it and turned his face.

3 - As soon as Rock got slapped, he just carried on. No rubbing his face, no adjusting his jaw. He just got "slapped" and simply said "Will Smith just smacked the shit out of me." He didn't miss a beat.

Also, when Will walked back off the stage, he had a smirk on his face. And then suddenly he gets angry?
Chris Rock was bullied his entire life. He knows how to deal with this. It’s jarring, he was clearly surprised by it. But he kept his composure considering a billion people watch this event.

Will was “smirking” when walking back because he’s an arrogant violent shithead. He thinks mighty highly of himself. You can tell with the BS he spewed during his acceptance speech. Somehow thinks it was the Lord’s duty for him to smack a guy.

If it was staged, Will wouldn’t have sworn on live TV twice and Chris would have had a better punchline.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Started season 2 but could not finish. Did not work for me. Heard the end is better than the beginning though.
I didn’t love it when I first saw it while it was on tv but after a rewatch I realized it was because I had to wait a week between episodes

Watching them all in a more rapid succession really improves it imo just because of the complexity

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The damage is done. It's almost like an Olympic gold medalist gets their moment on the podium having the medal put around their neck and having their national anthem played only for the Olympic committee to find out later they tested positive for a banned substance. And then the one who actually gets the medal just has it shipped to their address. It's like the damage is done. They didn't get their moment.

Whether they strip Smith of the award doesn't matter anymore. He got to go on stage and get his moment.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The damage is done. It's almost like an Olympic gold medalist gets their moment on the podium having the medal put around their neck and having their national anthem played only to find out later they tested positive for a banned substance. And then the one who actually gets the medal just has it shipped to their address. It's like the damage is done. They didn't get their moment.

Whether they strip Smith of the award doesn't matter anymore. He got to go on stage and get his moment.
In revenge, the award show will be remembered for the slap and not for his acceptance of an Oscar, nor the movie he was in.

Eco

Oct 7, 2013
QC
This is one of those things I'm already tired of hearing about.

I don't think it was staged at all.

And while I'm not a violent guy myself, I know enough of the social gossip (thanks wife) around Will Smith and his wife to guess that things have been rocking in their house hold and that his wife sounds like she is really struggling since being diagnosed with alopecia. You can tell Will laughs at the joke, but his wife doesn't find it funny one bit, so I can only assume that he sees how the joke effects his wife and then decided to stand up for her.

This was likely something that had been emotional for Will and his wife for months now, a lot of tension and emotions around it, throw in a bit of alcohol (just assuming), and you get a move that is uncharacteristic on live TV.

No excuses, but I'm also not going to roast the guy as I don't know what's going on behind closed doors and what they are dealing with. What I can relate to though is if you want me to try and smack you, say something in front of me about my daughter or wife that I find to be demeaning or 'crossing the line'.

Eco

Oct 7, 2013
QC
In revenge, the award show will be remembered for the slap and not for his acceptance of an Oscar, nor the movie he was in.
Like the show with Kayne interrupting Swift in.

It happens, and sucks for those who are there to be rewarded for their hard work and dedication.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Like the show with Kayne interrupting Swift in.

It happens, and sucks for those who are there to be rewarded for their hard work and dedication.
Kind of, but nobody cares about the oscars, so it's not like the winners are losing out on anything really.

Eco

Oct 7, 2013
QC
Kind of, but nobody cares about the oscars, so it's not like the winners are losing out on anything really.
I didn't watch, but wasn't there an award given to a deaf actor who gave a great speech?

If I'm right in that, then it's those kind of moments which will be lost, sadly.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You know who already has the jokes written for what happened? Chris Rock. He's gonna have a field day with this event with new material.

It reminds me of a segment of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, where Jerry has Steve Harvey as a guest:

I remember another comedian on the show saying that no matter what tragedy occurs in the world, comedians have the jokes written that night. They won't do them yet. But they already have them written.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Oscar ratings have dropped off a cliff and it is Hollywood after all and they are actors. It was staged.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The fact so many people care about a slap, one way or the other, is funny in itself. One thing is sure a meme is born ;).
The new meme will overtake the Batman slap on Robin and this:

rick-chq.gif

Reactions: OldCraig71 and LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad