OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Seems like we see eye to eye on a lot of things. lol Mitchum was fantastic. Van Cleef and Palance as well. A lot of actors in the 30s and 40s were based as model for Batman and his rogue gallery. Bogart for Two-Face, Edward G. Robinson for Penguin, James Cagney for Riddler, Marlene Dietrich for Catwoman.
And Kirk Douglas as the Joker.

Reactions: Fenris

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
And VERY realistic. Probably the most realistic series of the genre.

Definitely, that's one of the things I enjoyed most about the show.

From what I understand a lot of the missions were based on real missions that occurred, and the tradecraft used by the agents is very realistic.

My only complaint was the ending, which the director of the show decided to hand off to someone else for the first time in the series during the last two episodes, but nevertheless, awesome show.

Reactions: dinodebino

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Really? Interesting. I thought he might have been based on Conrad Veigh when he was in the silent movie "The Man who Laughs".
First time I heard about him but you are right, he really looks like the Joker. From what my fast research told me, Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson, two young illustrators were inspired of him when they created the Joker. He was a german actor from the expressionism movies. He died in 1943, the year of the first batman movie, so his talent had never been used to play the Joker. But the two batman serial movies of the 40's (1943 and 1949) were not good. Not many people will spend 232$ for each series on dvd. There is the batcave but no batmobile, Batman rides a regular car and is not very athletic, lol.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
First time I heard about him but you are right, he really looks like the Joker. From what my fast research told me, Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson, two young illustrators were inspired of him when they created the Joker. He was a german actor from the expressionism movies. He died in 1943, the year of the first batman movie, so his talent had never been used to play the Joker. But the two batman serial movies of the 40's (1943 and 1949) were not good. Not many people will spend 232$ for each series on dvd. There is the batcave but no batmobile, Batman rides a regular car and is not very athletic, lol.

Yea I think I have seen part of it on You Tube. There's some episodes available. Also there's a movie called "The Bat" about a vigilante that dresses as a bat to commit murders. That also inspired Batman. There's a You Tuber that created a fake 1930s Batman using scenes from other flicks. I think Orson Wells is Bruce Wayne, the Man who Laughs is The Joker, etc...it's very really done. I was watching that thinking wow that would be my dream Batman. lol That time period is perfect for it.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The Adam project: Good little typical Ryan Reynolds movie although there's nothing special. A little bit similar to Free Guy, and action, sci-fi, funny movie for everyone. Not much down time, story has a couple of holes but overall entertaining. 8.2\10

Vikings Valhalla: Huge fan of this first series (not much of the second part of that series). Little nostalgia, a little redundant if you saw the first series but I will still be waiting for season 2 and 3. Just like the first series, they got back to the original 8 episodes format which is a lot better and the production is very good overall. Still not as good as the first series. 7.6\10

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
WTF? Really? One of my favorite actors of all time. Broadcast News, Altered States, the Accidential Tourist, The Doctor, Dark City, etc... And of course General Ross in the Marvel flicks. What a big loss.
Probably the prostate cancer he was diagnosed with in 2018.

Reactions: Runner77

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I had no idea that the final season of The Last Kingdom had been released on March 9th and I just noticed it now. Looks like I have some The Last Kingdom season 5 to enjoy for the next few days.

Great TV series and sad to see it end. I think though they're planning a future movie.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Caught covid so i have watched a lot of stuff.

1883: 8.25/10 Great show. Sam Elliott is amazing in it.

Turning red: 8/10 One of the best movie of the year with Riders of justice.

Drive My Car: 7.8/10 One of the best movie of the year. Probably the best movie with King Richard amongst the Oscar nominees.

Parallel Mothers: 7.8/10 One of the best movie of the year. The movie should have been nominated for the foreign category instead of The Hand of god.

mayor of kingstown season 1: 7.8/10 good season with over the top violence.

Yellowstone: 7.5/10 Good show despite a very average season 4.

The Wheel of Time: 7.5/10 good 1st season.

C'est comme ça que je t’aime season 2: 7.5/10 good season.

Peacemaker: 7.5/10 good 1st season.

the legend of vox machina: 7/10 decent animated show.

Reacher: 7/10 Better than the Tom Cruise garbage movie but still an average show.

Last edited:

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
If I post the unedited clip will it get taken down?

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 60M/yr scam artist, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Will sure doesn't have to cuss to sell records, he's above that. Swearing is bad okay?

But going on the Oscars stage to punch the host over a joke about his unfaithful wife is obviously something he's more than comfortable doing!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That was, err, wild at the Oscars. Will Smith went full character on Chris Rock. Awkward en tabarnac!
I quit on him and the show as he was blathering his dumbass spiel. I had just tuned in, did not realize there had been an incident with Chris Rock.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looking at more clips of Smith’s assault, at first I thought that he had punched Rock. Instead, it was an open palm slap, which explains how Rock maintained his balance. Obviously, doesn’t make it any more acceptable, it’s still an assault.

Reactions: llamateizer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad