OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A country who have been in war doesn't live after that without scratches. The whole people are injured, it takes two generation to erase the trauma of a war.

True but I was speaking more anthropological in that the citizens are ''groomed'' and ''conditioned'' from young and yield certain type of ideology.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You can say that about Americans as well. They always seem to need an enemy. Remember the "Freedom Fries" when they hated the French? lol

I always gravitate to these old school who-done-it but even the first one was kind of bland to me.

I like Branagh but it did not seem like the right fit. Not a fan of Ustinov in any adaption either though.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My brother has the DVD series, he's watched them all at least 4 times. He's recently widowed and just moved into a seniors residence. He found some fans and they've been watching it in the common tv room and getting great laughs. The staleness and repetition of the jokes is what makes it so good, and my brothers and sister and I used to follow along with the theme, each doing our own instrumental part. Mine was the scale up and down bass part. Loved the Sunbeam Tiger too. Mel Brooks was a comedic genius.

Gilligan, Happy days, 3's company. My God, you need help. Don't include M.A.S.H. in that bunch. That show, which didn't have a laugh track by the way, was a masterpiece.

I can think of one thing Marley, Miley and me have in common, :D:rolleyes::P

Speaking of which, I'm due.

Sorry to hear that. Are you able to visit your brother easily?
Was the title meant to be a double entendre?
I could have made a much longer list in fact,it was getting long. As for mash., read again,I said some is corny, and they had a laugh track but not in the OR.

Reactions: Runner77 and peate

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
True but I was speaking more anthropological in that the citizens are ''groomed'' and ''conditioned'' from young and yield certain type of ideology.
Yes I know. I saw a man born here who says the two towers down on NY in 2001 was a good thing to happen. That is his opinion and there is no law against that in Canada. And not everybody is shocked or angry about what's happening in Ukraine. Just read newspapers from different countries. Last night I read an article saying how lefties should think of Ukraine invasion. Lefties are bi-polar about that, like the extreme right.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
lmao!! I always found Ustinov damn annoying. I don't know why.

Just maybe he wasn't a very good actor?:dunno: Don't know if he annoyed me or what,but the one that annoyed me was this guy.:banghead:

police-academy-zed.gif

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yes I know. I saw a man born here who says the two towers down on NY in 2001 was a good thing to happen. That is his opinion and there is no law against that in Canada. And not everybody is shocked or angry about what's happening in Ukraine. Just read newspapers from different countries. Last night I read an article saying how lefties should think of Ukraine invasion. Lefties are bi-polar about that, like the extreme right.

Chalk that up to another defective person in a loose definition of that as there are so many roaming the planet:shakehead

Good to see Steve is back BTW:thumbu:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Chalk that up to another defective person in a loose definition of that as there are so many roaming the planet:shakehead

Good to see Steve is back BTW:thumbu:
A lot of people are alienated. Some generation live in a world of video games ans their political opinion is anything but the truth. Some have their cultural background as Games of Trones and that's it. Some people don't know a simple thing about history and some conspiracy people improvise the past history and the actual politics. You listen to them and you can hear any crackpot theory and hey claim it's the truth, they say it loud because they think that saying it loud makes it more true.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Just maybe he wasn't a very good actor?:dunno: Don't know if he annoyed me or what,but the one that annoyed me was this guy.:banghead:

police-academy-zed.gif
Ustinov is more boring. His documentaries and himself as an actor. You wanna see an old boring movie? Ustinov is a sure thing.
Those two guys are funny. Not extremely funny but they correspond to the cast character they wanted for the movie. Police Academy had all the clichés of the people who should not be in a police force. But by strange circonstances they were hired and we have 6 funny movies.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Saw The Batman today.

It's a solid movie, 3h but still a good ride. It's a crime / drama movie first, superhero second. I loved the action, twist, plot etc. Felt original, really dark and you almost felt like this batman mental state was the continuation of the previous trilogy (just the way he feels, confusion etc.). Dano as the riddler was just perfect, great character.

Really well written, good actors, only small disappointment I can't really tell here because of spoilers.

I had to look up who was the composer for this movie: Michael Giacchino. He's getting an Oscar for this.

I wasn't sure about Pattinson when it was originally announced , but he was really good. Just the prologue of this movie is a masterpiece.

“They think I am hiding in the shadows. Watching. Waiting to strike. I am the shadows.”

Last edited:
Reactions: PhysicX and Redux91

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Ustinov is more boring. His documentaries and himself as an actor. You wanna see an old boring movie? Ustinov is a sure thing.
Those two guys are funny. Not extremely funny but they correspond to the cast character they wanted for the movie. Police Academy had all the clichés of the people who should not be in a police force. But by strange circonstances they were hired and we have 6 funny movies.

That has to be one of my biggest nightmares as a person, be known as boring. You're right Ustinov is boring in my eyes. He represents a certain kind of person the old cultivated man in appearance with a slight comedic flair that has become a cliche. I cannot imagine that he has had to play a variety of different roles. lol But anyway I bet some people have liked him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saw The Batman today.

It's a solid movie, 3h but still a good ride. It's a crime / drama movie first, superhero second. I loved the action, twist, plot etc. Felt original, really dark and you almost felt like this batman mental state was the continuation of the previous trilogy (just the way he feels, confusion etc.). Dano as the riddler was just perfect, great character.

Really well written, good actors, only small disappointment I can't really tell here because of spoilers.

I had to look up who was the composer for this movie: Michael Giacchino. He's getting an Oscar for this.

I wasn't sure about Pattinson when it was originally announced , but he was really good. Just the prologue of this movie is a masterpiece.

“They think I am hiding in the shadows. Watching. Waiting to strike. I am the shadows.”

The only thing I didn't like was Bruce Wayne. I did not like the choice of the director to make him the same as Batman and Wayne and I thought Pattinson's acting lack variation when he was Wayne. He was stone face and that was it.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That has to be one of my biggest nightmares as a person, be known as boring. You're right Ustinov is boring in my eyes. He represents a certain kind of person the old cultivated man in appearance with a slight comedic flair that has become a cliche. I cannot imagine that he has had to play a variety of different roles. lol But anyway I bet some people have liked him.
You're right. You and me will agree Ustinov is boring but he surely have his fanclub. You pointed the kind of person who will find him funny or pertinent. I think his biggest fanclub must be in Canada, lol.

Reactions: Kimota

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
On quora they discuss who was the best to play Hercule Poirot, between Ustinov, Finney and Suchet.
Most comments says Suchet. I would agree too, Suchet is perfect but I'm not a big fan of Poirot. I think Christie created a character so complex to conterbalance Sherlock Holmes. But having a bizarre inspector brings a sequel of other bizarre characters like Columbo, Monk, Inspector T and Capitaine Marleau. A bizarre inspector is half of the show done. Maigret is a great character, not too bizarre and very human. I used to like Fitz very much, the original serie in UK with Robbie Coltrane.

https://www.quora.com/Who-played-a-better-Poirot-Peter-Ustinov-David-Suchet-or-Albert-Finney

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The only thing I didn't like was Bruce Wayne. I did not like the choice of the director to make him the same as Batman and Wayne and I thought Pattinson's acting lack variation when he was Wayne. He was stone face and that was it.
There has been so many Batmans. Every actor playing Batman brings another direction. If you are a batman fan, where do you stand, what or who is your batman? It started with a conventional action movie and it became more complex and dark movies. Is the batman character worth such psychologic complexity?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Billions has been one of my favorite TV shows since it started but without Damian Lewis this show isn't anywhere near as good as it was. I still enjoy most of the characters remaining but the "new guy" in the lead role just isn't cutting it for me.

It seems to have been renewed for another season next year but without Lewis, who I don't expect back, it wouldn't surprise me if next season is it's last.

Reactions: Runner77

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Pattinson signed a three movie deal. I think Bruce will evolve a lot. I think he'll be less emo and more playboy by the end of the trilogy. It's an interesting choice for the first movie but yeah, if he stays like that the whole trilogy, I'll agree with you.

I had not idea Colin Farrell was play The Penguin... Wow!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Pattinson signed a three movie deal. I think Bruce will evolve a lot. I think he'll be less emo and more playboy by the end of the trilogy. It's an interesting choice for the first movie but yeah, if he stays like that the whole trilogy, I'll agree with you.

I had not idea Colin Farrell was play The Penguin... Wow!

Good point, yea. Hopefully he evolves over time.

Usually when Bruce starts his war on crime, he has already created his two identities the face of happy go lucky playboy Bruce Wayne and the masked vigilante Batman. He is extra prepared.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There has been so many Batmans. Every actor playing Batman brings another direction. If you are a batman fan, where do you stand, what or who is your batman? It started with a conventional action movie and it became more complex and dark movies. Is the batman character worth such psychologic complexity?

Who is my Batman? Nobody yet. lol My ideal is the early 90s animated series. There is no better. It's film noir but romancized film noir. Gotham and all the characters were essentialy a mix of 1990s and 1930s/1940s. The only thing I would change a bit is make Bruce Wayne a little more threatening. Like a Timothy Dalton/Gregory Peck-type where he's this popular society man but you realise that he's not to be messed with. I think a psychological Batman/Wayne works but it should not overwhelm things because he's a man with a plan and doesn't have time to cry.

On quora they discuss who was the best to play Hercule Poirot, between Ustinov, Finney and Suchet.
Most comments says Suchet. I would agree too, Suchet is perfect but I'm not a big fan of Poirot. I think Christie created a character so complex to conterbalance Sherlock Holmes. But having a bizarre inspector brings a sequel of other bizarre characters like Columbo, Monk, Inspector T and Capitaine Marleau. A bizarre inspector is half of the show done. Maigret is a great character, not too bizarre and very human. I used to like Fitz very much, the original serie in UK with Robbie Coltrane.

https://www.quora.com/Who-played-a-better-Poirot-Peter-Ustinov-David-Suchet-or-Albert-Finney

Oh yea Suchet is fantastic. He has this darkness about him that the others do not have. And it relates to what we were talking about concerning Bruce Wayne. That same darkness hidden behind a respectable exterior. I just love this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Who is my Batman? Nobody yet. lol My ideal is the early 90s animated series. There is no better. It's film noir but romancized film noir. Gotham and all the characters were essentialy a mix of 1990s and 1930s/1940s. The only thing I would change a bit is make Bruce Wayne a little more threatening. Like a Timothy Dalton/Gregory Peck-type where he's this popular society man but you realise that he's not to be messed with. I think a psychological Batman/Wayne works but it should not overwhelm things because he's a man with a plan and doesn't have time to cry.

Oh yea Suchet is fantastic. He has this darkness about him that the others do not have. And it relates to what we were talking about concerning Bruce Wayne. That same darkness hidden behind a respectable exterior. I just love this.
I watch the animated batman some times. It's the only animated serie I watch with the Simpsons. I think it's the perfect Batman, with just enough darkness. Grapĥicly it's perfect. Gotham have to be a mix of gothic and art deco but in a film noir ambiance. Montreal have some of this buildings to make a good decor. Gregory Peck was such a great actor, he would have been perfect playing Batman in 1946 but the actor would refuse to play a comic serie character, lol. Another great actor would have been Robert Mitchum. And if they were not casted as villains, Lee Van Cleef and Jack Palance could have been excellent Batmans, in the 1950's. Robert Mitchum was a tough man. He would have kiss ass a lot of today's pseudo tough actors. He played in 3 kind of roles : detectives, bandits and war movies. He was the Clint Eastwood of his time. He had an intimidating presence, was cold and wasn't talking much.

On Suchet, he is a very good actor. I saw him in an episode of capt Marleau, he played in french and he was excellent. He is very undersetimated. Just talking of him, it makes me want to find Hercule Poirot on dvd and watch that serie again.

edit. I did an huge mistake, Mitchum played in a lot of westerns and I forgot that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris and Kimota

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
@Runner77 I circled back to Goliath season 2. I really enjoyed it this time around. I don’t know what happened last time, I think I may have dozed off in the first episode without realizing it and woke up on episode 2 and everything felt out of place and hard to follow. Tbh I’m not sure how it felt so disconnected from season 1, but after starting over on episode 1, you were correct. Great show and Billy Bob fits the part perfectly. Excited for season 3 now that I circled back.

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I watch the animated batman some times. It's the only animated serie I watch with the Simpsons. I think it's the perfect Batman, with just enough darkness. Grapĥicly it's perfect. Gotham have to be a mix of gothic and art deco but in a film noir ambiance. Montreal have some of this buildings to make a good decor. Gregory Peck was such a great actor, he would have been perfect playing Batman in 1946 but the actor would refuse to play a comic serie character, lol. Another great actor would have been Robert Mitchum. And if they were not casted as villains, Lee Van Cleef and Jack Palance could have been excellent Batmans, in the 1950's. Robert Mitchum was a tough man. He would have kiss ass a lot of today's pseudo tough actors. He played in 3 kind of roles : detectives, bandits and war movies. He was the Clint Eastwood of his time. He had an intimidating presence, was cold and wasn't talking much.

On Suchet, he is a very good actor. I saw him in an episode of capt Marleau, he played in french and he was excellent. He is very undersetimated. Just talking of him, it makes me want to find Hercule Poirot on dvd and watch that serie again.

Seems like we see eye to eye on a lot of things. lol Mitchum was fantastic. Van Cleef and Palance as well. A lot of actors in the 30s and 40s were based as model for Batman and his rogue gallery. Bogart for Two-Face, Edward G. Robinson for Penguin, James Cagney for Riddler, Marlene Dietrich for Catwoman.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad