OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The new meme will overtake the Batman slap on Robin and this:

rick-chq.gif
I'm Rick James Bitch!

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The part where he writes that the joke about Jada's medical condition being too much bear doesn't impress me. The guy was laughing when Chris said that joke.
There have been so many people canceled for so much less, there is no way that Smith would derail a show where he was up for the shows biggest award. As you said, he was laughing at the joke/reference to his wife only to do a 180 and risk his whole career over it. There is no way I am buying that. It achieved what it set out to do, the whole world is talking about 3 actors that "acted" and in doing so, resurrected a dead in the water awards show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

And yet Smith had been working under exclusive directions from God.

There is no “world of love and kindness” where Smith is involved. He didn’t apologize to Rock in his acceptance speech. In fact, he doubled down by justifying his role as a protector.

I hope they prevent him from attending next year’s Awards. If he wants to really make a difference, forget the stylized after-the-fact hollow apologies. Let him put his time and money toward actions that make a difference for victims of violence. And maybe learn a little humility along the way.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There have been so many people canceled for so much less, there is no way that Smith would derail a show where he was up for the shows biggest award. As you said, he was laughing at the joke/reference to his wife only to do a 180 and risk his whole career over it. There is no way I am buying that. It achieved what it set out to do, the whole world is talking about 3 actors that "acted" and in doing so, resurrected a dead in the water awards show.
I see that Tucker Carlson agrees that it was staged but Piers Morgan believes it was real.

When he had his talk show on CNN, Morgan had scheduled an interview with Pinkett. Morgan was led to believe that she was showing up alone, with her staff.

A few moments before the interview, Will Smith shows up unexpectedly and took Morgan aside. Smith warned Morgan to make sure that he would not make any derogatory comments about Pinkett, nor ask any humiliating questions. And then, proceeded to sit at the back of the room, watching over the interview like a hawk.

This on top of what I’ve been reading from several sources, leads me to believe the incident was real.

Eco

Oct 7, 2013
QC
The part where he writes that the joke about Jada's medical condition being too much bear doesn't impress me. The guy was laughing when Chris said that joke.
Yeah - I'm torn on this one.

My wife had some medical issues after our child (she's fine now), but it was really tough for her, and something we had a lot of talks about and difficult decisions in case of the worst case. It wasn't my personal cross to bear, but I was there each and every night through her tears, worries, struggles, and diminishing self-esteem. It was certainly a rough period for us, and if someone, comedian or not, make a joke about her looks, I bet I would have greatly overreacted to it if I'd have seen how it negatively effected her.

Plus, if you were to add in alcohol (assuming there was some involved), then I likely would have said or done something that I would regret the next day.

People who are upset that he didn't apologize to Chris directly during his speech probably don't realize that Will's adrenaline was probably still on full go and he wasn't thinking clearly of his actions and still in the fight mode trying to protect his wife.

I don't condone the violence, at all. But if I were to ever get in a fight, it would be because someone hurt my wife or daughter and then my protector instincts kick in.

Again, don't condone the violence, but I get it.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I see that Tucker Carlson agrees that it was staged but Piers Morgan believes it was real.

When he had his talk show on CNN, Morgan had scheduled an interview with Pinkett. Morgan was led to believe that she was showing up alone, with her staff.

A few moments before the interview, Will Smith shows up unexpectedly and took Morgan aside. Smith warned Morgan to make sure that he would not make any derogatory comments about Pinkett, nor ask any humiliating questions. And then, proceeded to sit at the back of the room, watching over the interview like a hawk.

This on top of what I’ve been reading from several sources, leads me to believe the incident was real.
We rarely disagree my friend but I am sticking to the fact that it was staged. With the number of people that get canceled today for simply saying the wrong thing and then we witness an act of violence on live TV and no charges are pressed and everything is fine and dandy, seems a little bit off to me. If Smith loses his career then I will change my view but until then I maintain that it was staged for the sake of ratings. Let's see if the left goes after one of their own?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We rarely disagree my friend but I am sticking to the fact that it was staged. With the number of people that get canceled today for simply saying the wrong thing and then we witness an act of violence on live TV and no charges are pressed and everything is fine and dandy, seems a little bit off to me. If Smith loses his career then I will change my view but until then I maintain that it was staged for the sake of ratings. Let's see if the left goes after one of their own?
It’s OK to not agree, none of us are close enough to the situation, so we’re left with connecting dots.

I can only say that in all my time here, I was never able to convince anyone of anything. Not that I was trying, I just realized early on that my version of the “facts” is not always the perception by someone else. Plus, there is a point of diminishing returns where you can spend a ton of time researching sources and it won’t matter one iota once the thread page changes to some other subject.

I believe that’s a worthy accomplishment. My streak of making unconvincing points continues, I see! 🤣

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Personally i'm not sure it was staged. Chris Rock is a pretty terribad actor. That would be an once in a lifetime oscar worthy performance for him. Smith laughing at the joke kind of not make any sense if it would be staged. If it would be staged he would already know the joke and would already know to not laugh at it. If you watch the video in slowmo you see Smith laughing at the joke but his wife look pissed off. I think he found the joke funny but then his wife did not and she passed the message to him. It looks real to me tbh.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Some people laugh when an awkward joke is said, or when really upset, as an initial reaction. Takes time to process.
I just don't get how this man is in such a privileged position he thought it was totally fine for him to interrupt a live show seen by millions, walk on stage, slap a comedian, sit back down in his seat and shout insulting words twice.
Like wtf.
I think Will has serious marital issues and he had to show the world how he's a Man because of Jps openness on her cheating on him and sleeping with other guys.

Reactions: Native

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why would they stage this for ratings? Rock and Smith have 0 stake in the Oscars. The ratings are irrelevant to them.
Why would both put themselves in such a public dispute? Your theory does not make any sense mate.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
I don't think it was staged. Why would Will Smith do this, what does he gain out of this exactly? The guy look like a complete fool right now. It was supposed to be the night of his life in which he received the consecration of an entire career and now the only thing that the world will remember is this event where he completely lost his mind in front of millions of people. IMO the Smith family clearly has some internal issues to deal with and they should to it privately because all of this looks really messy.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It’s OK to not agree, none of us are close enough to the situation, so we’re left with connecting dots.

I can only say that in all my time here, I was never able to convince anyone of anything. Not that I was trying, I just realized early on that my version of the “facts” is not always the perception by someone else. Plus, there is a point of diminishing returns where you can spend a ton of time researching sources and it won’t matter one iota once the thread page changes to some other subject.

I believe that’s a worthy accomplishment. My streak of making unconvincing points continues, I see! 🤣
I am not trying to convince anyone, it is just my view that it was staged, there's just too much at stake for everyone involved to attempt a career-killing move on live TV. We live in a time where merely saying the wrong thing gets people in trouble, I just see this as a staged act especially if Smith doesn't face repercussions for his actions.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why would they stage this for ratings? Rock and Smith have 0 stake in the Oscars. The ratings are irrelevant to them.
Why would both put themselves in such a public dispute? Your theory does not make any sense mate.
If Smith loses his Oscar for slapping a man on live tv the I will agree with you but if he doesn't face consequences, will you agree with me that it was staged?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad