OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm watching the David Beckham documentary on Netflix, and doing so as somebody who has very, very little knowledge of soccer.

I didn't realize that he was such a good player, I thought that he was a promising player who declined rapidly from the late 1990s onwards after he got famous. The documentary implies that he was one of the best players until 2010 or so, for example he did well for Real Madrid, and got to take free kicks and corners even though Zidane was on the team. That means that there was an actual thing that he could do better than Zidane, which is incredible.

I never really thought about club teams, my "knowledge" such as it is, is from international play. I tune in every four years and sometimes for the Euro Cup as well, and I recall Beckham and England in general always underperforming in international play, they're equivalent to the Maple Leafs in the NHL playoffs.

The owner of the LA Galaxy comes off as a fat rich American prick.

As a human being, Beckham comes off quite well, really down to Earth in his retirement life, he likes getting honey from his bees and he has a nice rapport with his wife of twenty years. They had a beautiful wedding too.

I did think he came off as a prick when he wanted to stay in Milan, by that point his wife had done a lot for him, he should have stayed in LA and been happy to support his wife in the period where she wanted to raise their children in relative ease. I get that he was bored in LA, but he could have used his connections to bring in some intermediate-level players to be his teammates. Also he missed one of his children's births to do a photo shoot with Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez. So that period 2005-2010 is not one where he looks good as a human being.

I saw that Lionel Messi was not capable of lifting his Miami team into the MLS playoffs. Perhaps that league has improved.

Or Messi is just getting really old... for soccer

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
We attempted this but didn't do it. Thought it would be like Dead Calm,nope!

@Jeffrey Steele did you watch Chimp Empire on Netflix?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on it.
Watch it? he's starring in it! lol

• Haha
Reactions: angusyoung

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Any good new horror movies I could check out? I'm at my 12 days of my 31 horror movies in 31 Days marathon but most of them were flicks I had seen before. I need some fresh blood, dammit.
I haven't watched it yet, but next time I subscribe to Disney plus, I'll give a try to "No One Will Save You". It looks more psychological than bloody though.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So I saw Megan for my 12th movie. I liked it for the most part. Feels like they had something great there but they lost their plot in the last about 20 minutes. Felt like it became a regular monster movie. I wished it would have gone to the same results but gone there in a more organic logical matter. I know it's basically female modern Chucky but when she starts killing and making sarcasting comment, it became literally like every other horror movie that's ever been made. It was a good watch but it's another "almost there" movie.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
While writers have ratified their deal with the studios, negotiations with the actors’ union are at an impasse with no end in sight:

• Wow
Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Went to see The Creator this weekend.

If you plan to watch this movie, don't expect a smart and sophisticated story. It's a pure scifi action flick with very little depth. Very simplistic and highly predictable. The cinematography is superb, though. Sigh.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

If you plan to watch this movie, don't expect a smart and sophisticated story. It's a pure scifi action slick with very little depth. Very simplistic and highly predictable. The cinematography is superb, though. Sigh.
Yeah the movie looks to be all about cinematography and nothing else. I'm a sucker for great cinematography though so i'll probably like him. It looks superb from the trailers i watched.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Netflix has come out with The Fall of the House of Usher. I thought it was absolutely terrific. If you like the works of Edgar Allen Poe then you’ll get all kinds of little Easter Eggs too.

Reactions: Runner77

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

If you plan to watch this movie, don't expect a smart and sophisticated story. It's a pure scifi action flick with very little depth. Very simplistic and highly predictable. The cinematography is superb, though. Sigh.
Yeah was a little disappointed in The Creator I can't lie, 20 minutes in you're like.. THIS is the story..?
I definitely felt the 'Akira' influence but it's like..
Then why not just do that

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
saw killers of the flower moon

an hour too long (at least). I admire and respect the film but it's not enjoyable.
DiCaprio and lily Gladstone should win Academy Awards, but the backlash is justified. I don't think 1st nations actors get enough screen time even though Scorsese optioned a book which is from the FBI's POV.
He did fold a love story into it, but the DiCaprio and DeNiro characters are so f***ing unlikeable

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

an hour too long (at least). I admire and respect the film but it's not enjoyable.
DiCaprio and lily Gladstone should win Academy Awards, but the backlash is justified. I don't think 1st nations actors get enough screen time even though Scorsese optioned a book which is from the FBI's POV.
He did fold a love story into it, but the DiCaprio and DeNiro characters are so f***ing unlikeable
Expected as much to be honest,
Was pretty underwhelmed with Oppenheimer as well,
Won't be going to theatres then, but will definitely watch obviously lol

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Expected as much to be honest,
Was pretty underwhelmed with Oppenheimer as well,
Won't be going to theatres then, but will definitely watch obviously lol

Oppenheimer had good stuff in it but it was pure torture for the later part of the movie when they focused on the Robert Downey storyline. My God it was long, I couldn't wait for it to finish. I'm sorry Marty but I'm afraid I won't be caught dead watching another 3 hours movie ever again in theaters.

I heard that the reason it went so long was originally the script was from the POV of the FBI(which Leo was approached to play) but Leo was more interested in playing the other character. And so the script was extensively reworked to please him, essentialy. I wished Marty would work with other actors sometime. lol

Reactions: Redux91

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Oppenheimer had good stuff in it but it was pure torture for the later part of the movie when they focused on the Robert Downey storyline. My God it was long, I couldn't wait for it to finish. I'm sorry Marty but I'm afraid I won't be caught dead watching another 3 hours movie ever again in theaters.

I heard that the reason it went so long was originally the script was from the POV of the FBI(which Leo was approached to play) but Leo was more interested in playing the other character. And so the script was extensively reworked to please him, essentialy. I wished Marty would work with other actors sometime. lol
yes it was reworked but still spends an excessive amount of time detailing a bunch of white sociopaths planning and committing awful crimes against native American women

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC

I agree with everything. That being said, I was never bored during the movie anyway.

I'll be honest I didn't know anything about this story before going last night, I will probably buy the book now.

Also loved the score

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I agree with everything. That being said, I was never bored during the movie anyway.

I'll be honest I didn't know anything about this story before going last night, I will probably buy the book now.

Also loved the score
I was never bored, I found it excessively long and self indulged in narratives that I think could’ve been shorter. When I watched “the Irishman” it took me like three nights on Netflix to get through it lol

Late Robbie Roberson scores was brilliant

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad