OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I like how you set a target for the price you wanted to pay and made your move when the option presented itself.

$1000 is a great price esp. for a 75” with a fast image processor. The image you posted is crisp enough even though there can be discrepancies from the taking of a photo.

Indeed, my phone has a lower resolution at 2160 so you don't get the relative 4k.

I still have my Samsung 65” smart TV from over 10 years ago and it continues to work great. One feature I like about Samsung is how they seem to incorporate more HDMI ports than other manufacturers and I need several.
My previous TV was a 50" HD plasma LG I bought in summer 09. It lasted 13 years. Luckily enough, when its power supply broke down, my old man had just bought a new TV and gave me his previous 65" LED HD Bravia, so that gave me a bit of time to find a 4k. Was really nice of him to give it to me, but since I had bought a PS5, I was already actively searching for a future TV in 4k. This is my first Samsung ever, but from what I've heard from acquaintances, friends and relatives who've had Samsung TVs over the years is that the most common problem are the power supplies. Didn't know they had more hdmi ports than other brands, but yeah, both the LG and Bravia had 2 ports. There are 3 on the new one.

I’m always very curious about what’s going on in the market but I still can’t get myself to make a move just yet. Would be much easier if my current set broke down.

How is the sound from your monitor? Did you get a sound bar? Most TV speakers sound thin.

Read a lot of reviews before buying and a common complaint were the internal speakers and the low level volume, but it's not so bad for me, so maybe they fixed the issue in further batchs. Was planning to buy a sound bar because of the reviews, but now I might wait a bit.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Read a lot of reviews before buying and a common complaint were the internal speakers and the low level volume, but it's not so bad for me, so maybe they fixed the issue in further batchs. Was planning to buy a sound bar because of the reviews, but now I might wait a bit.
Saw that Costco is carrying a few sound bar models. Their prices tend to be fair so that would be an option for me down the line, esp. on a sale.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Saw that Costco is carrying a few sound bar models. Their prices tend to be fair so that would be an option for me down the line, esp. on a sale.

I browse the rebate catalog every time I receive it. That's how I found this nice rebate on the TV. Was at the store after work the day the rebate started and they already had 4 of the available 7 TVs gone (I phoned on the previous day to know how many they had). Sold almost all of them on the first day, so when there's a good rebate on electronics, better get their on the first day.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Old tv series that was so popular in these days. 1973 to 1978, Six Million Dollar Man
One of the best opening theme ever. Nice montage in the opening that explain the cyborg concept and have a nice music signature. There has been 2 episodes with that opening theme, totally different.

Two episodes where Steve Austin acts like he's some sort of James Bond. It was rejected and they did the series closer to the book written by Martin Caidin. Cool temper, humble and scientific oriented.

Just have your ideas what was good with that show and what wasn't that good. I have to say at the time they tried fast forward his running to make it look like he's running 60 mph but it looked choppy or charlie chaplin. The best fast shots they did was having white fences first layer and this is what we see in the opening theme. The slow motion was the thing that worked the best according to the producers.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Old tv series that was so popular in these days. 1973 to 1978, Six Million Dollar Man
One of the best opening theme ever. Nice montage in the opening that explain the cyborg concept and have a nice music signature. There has been 2 episodes with that opening theme, totally different.

Two episodes where Steve Austin acts like he's some sort of James Bond. It was rejected and they did the series closer to the book written by Martin Caidin. Cool temper, humble and scientific oriented.

Just have your ideas what was good with that show and what wasn't that good. I have to say at the time they tried fast forward his running to make it look like he's running 60 mph but it looked choppy or charlie chaplin. The best fast shots they did it having white fences first layer and this is what we see in the opening theme. The slow motion was the thing that worked the best according to the producers.

Everyone was watching this back in the days ,brings me back. The toys they made from this serie are worth a fortune now , i believe .

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Removing the streaming channels really killed it for me. I let it slide for a few months and the wife wanted to finish the Sex and the City sequel, but as soon as that was over I cancelled.

I had Disney for the last few years through someone else's sub, but she cancelled it 6 months ago and I didn't bother with it, until, like you, I saw the initial 3 month price a week or so ago, so I took it up. Now, I'm not sure if it was because I was stuck on a PG14 account, but there seems to be a lot more stuff now. Almost all the fox movies and shows are there. Got plenty of stuff to watch. Finally got to finish Loki, which I really liked.

So how's Disney so far ? As for me, the 3 months is not over yet and i'm already starting to run out of things to watch . The new Marvel Stuffs are so bad vs from when this franchise started years ago , this is nuts... On the other hand i did love some of the Star Wars series . Obi wan kenobi, book of boba fett, mandalorian and as specially asoka ( you need to watch the cartoon rebels first b4 watching asoka ) are all great .

Some decisions were made that i dont understand. Some very good series were cancelled after only one season , like obi wan kenobi , but you have a marvel serie like She-Hulk , who is the most awful show i watched in recent years who will probably get a season 2.

What did you like so far ?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Everyone was watching this back in the days ,brings me back. The toys they made from this serie are worth a fortune now , i believe .
Every kids at that time did the slow mo with the noise at school or anywhere, khh khh khh, me included, lol. But any adult 22yr or + found that show ridiculous, I mean, there was a gap between kids (or teenagers) and adults at the time. That sound effect (of his mechanical power) came only at season 3, before there was occasional noises, mostly the bang noises in slow mo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Every kids at that time did the slow mo with the noise at school or anywhere, khh khh khh, me included, lol. But any adult 22yr or + found that show ridiculous, I mean, there was a gap between kids (or teenagers) and adults at the time. That sound effect (of his mechanical power) came only at season 3, before there was occasional noises, mostly the bang noises in slow mo.
haha , i was in that group too :laugh:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Re watched good will hunting today, never realized damon and affleck wrote it. Underestimated them.
They also wrote a show, City on a Hill, who got cancelled after 3 seasons. The first 2 seasons were great , but the 3rd no so much , so i understand why it got cancelled. But still, i was disappointed as the first two season really got me into this show .

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So how's Disney so far ? As for me, the 3 months is not over yet and i'm already starting to run out of things to watch . The new Marvel Stuffs are so bad vs from when this franchise started years ago , this is nuts... On the other hand i did love some of the Star Wars series . Obi wan kenobi, book of boba fett, mandalorian and as specially asoka ( you need to watch the cartoon rebels first b4 watching asoka ) are all great .

Some decisions were made that i dont understand. Some very good series were cancelled after only one season , like obi wan kenobi , but you have a marvel serie like She-Hulk , who is the most awful show i watched in recent years who will probably get a season 2.

What did you like so far ?

For starters, I'm not as ahead as you in their series. Still have Mando season 3, Ashoka and Secret Invasion to watch. My wife is re-watching the entire Buffy series and I'm barely through season 1 of the X-Files which I want to go through all seasons. Then, we have other series on Prime and NF. Re-started Dark last week. I previously had stopped at episode 3, but the wife seemed interested and now we're fully into it. Have just finished rewatching Better Call Saul in 4k as I had just bought my first 4k tv. Have new season of The Crown coming up on NF. There's all the fox movies on D+ which i haven't watched in eons, so our plate is full and I doubt we'll have gone through everything Disney has to offer until spring at least.

If im not mistaken She-Hulk was rightfuly canceled just like Obiwan and for similar reasons; too much woke pushing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not a movie but this is one of the best chase sequences I have ever seen. Both riders should be hired for stunts. Happened in Brazil.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Saw Anatomy of a Fall last night.

Really enjoyed it, love those ''lawyer/justice movies'' I was all in on the story at some point, similar to 12 angry man we you get pulled into the outcome.

Actors were all really solid as well, back and forth french/english is well done

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You have to wonder how they were able to get a conviction? Surely they did not have any real concrete proofs.

Miscarriage of justice? You see it often in smaller counties, but it does also happen in the bigger ones. I follow many audit-the-state type channels and constitutional law channels and I'm not surprised with this in the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad