OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Details now coming out about how Matthew Perry died. I only just found out that Keith Morrison is his step dad.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I got into an argument with some dude on Twitter who said that those that hated Game of Thrones Season 8 are "no true GoT fans". Oh boy. I told him that the most diehards really hated it, especially those that read the books and who are steeped into the whole lore of ASOIAF. He exploded, he was so salty. It's really something weird being in a debate with someone clearly wrong but who cannot see it and who is so unhinged.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I got into an argument with some dude on Twitter who said that those that hated Game of Thrones Season 8 are "no true GoT fans". Oh boy. I told him that the most diehards really hated it, especially those that read the books and who are steeped into the whole lore of ASOIAF. He exploded, he was so salty. It's really something weird being in a debate with someone clearly wrong but who cannot see it and who is so unhinged.
i don't think anyone should be gatekeeping anything, let alone a fantasy tv show. it can mean different things to different people without it being a competition about who's the mOsT hArDcOrE fan.

personally, i didn't hate GoT Season 8. was it rushed? was it lower quality than previous seasons? sure. but i still liked it. and they hinted at Daenarys's heel turn pretty regularly in previous seasons. FWIW I read all the books, but I don't know what that means for me in the Official Twitter GoT Fan Hierarchy :laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

How many times have you watched season 8?

i don't think anyone should be gatekeeping anything, let alone a fantasy tv show. it can mean different things to different people without it being a competition about who's the mOsT hArDcOrE fan.

personally, i didn't hate GoT Season 8. was it rushed? was it lower quality than previous seasons? sure. but i still liked it. and they hinted at Daenarys's heel turn pretty regularly in previous seasons. FWIW I read all the books, but I don't know what that means for me in the Official Twitter GoT Fan Hierarchy :laugh:

Same for you? How many?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

It's not the worst thing if taken out of the context of the continuity itself. Like say people happy flying on dragons like it's Disney, it's entertaining. Or say the Long Night can be an entertaining zombie movie. But it's a huge step down for what used to be such a great show with great writing and such an interesting lore.

The guy was saying those that hated Season 8 were not true GoT fans but if you really love the lore and the potential it had and the pathos of all its characters, I cannot imagine people loving it. The writing was so bad in Season 8. Terrible continiuity as if the people writing had not watched their own show. Dialogue contradicting itself from one scene to the next. Logic thrown out the window. (Bran becoming King when the Starks become independent. Why would the Kingdom be ruled by an outsider?).

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

keanu-reeves.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Might watch it a 4th time in 4k for the the first time
Wondering how much programming you’re able to get in 4K right now? I understand you can get most offerings on Netflix in 4K provided you buy the premium service.

Also, how have you narrowed down your choices in terms of which TV monitor to opt for — was it an easy decision? From what I’ve been reading, choosing a TV that has Dolby Vision support is highly recommended.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Wondering how much programming you’re able to get in 4K right now? I understand you can get most offerings on Netflix in 4K provided you buy the premium service.

Also, how have you narrowed down your choices in terms of which TV monitor to opt for — was it an easy decision? From what I’ve been reading, choosing a TV that has Dolby Vision support is highly recommended.

I'm a gamer and didn't want to spend too much so I waited for the right TV at the right price. Waited many months and surfed through a lot of sales until I ended-up buying a costco special on a Samsung Crystal LED 75" 4k that is meant for gaming with a fast image processor. Bought it at 1k$ when it's marked-up at 1400 in other stores, 1300 regular at Costco. Took the 6 years EW at 90$ extra.

As for 4K, really good on D+, Prime and NF. I cancelled Crave just a week or two before buying the tv, so i don't know about that.

It's not QLED, but the image is pretty sharp, still:

20231102-120514.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TVA has let go nearly one third of its employees in the midst of a reorganization, further to incurring major losses.

Not surprisingly, a significant contributor to these, comes from their TVA Spanre division.

Pour expliquer les difficultés financières en février dernier, la direction du Groupe TVA avait notamment évoqué la baisse de rentabilité de TVA Sports, une chaîne lancée en 2011. TVA Sports a perdu environ 220 millions en 11 ans dans la foulée de la signature en 2013 d’une entente de 12 ans – évaluée à 700 millions – pour devenir le diffuseur francophone officiel de la LNH au pays.

TVA Spanre launched in 2011, allegedly lost approx. $220 Million in 11 years further to having inked a 12-year broadcasting rights agreement with the NHL representing $700 Million. Spanre has notably experienced a loss in profitability.

While no one wants to see anyone lose their jobs, this would also indicate that it is very unlikely that TVA Spanre would be a player in the next round of contract renewal talks with the NHL as the current deal comes to a close.

This bodes well for those of us who much prefer that all Habs games on the Franco side be handled by RDS.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm a gamer and didn't want to spend too much so I waited for the right TV at the right price. Waited many months and surfed through a lot of sales until I ended-up buying a costco special on a Samsung Crystal LED 75" 4k that is meant for gaming with a fast image processor. Bought it at 1k$ when it's marked-up at 1400 in other stores, 1300 regular at Costco. Took the 6 years EW at 90$ extra.

As for 4K, really good on D+, Prime and NF. I cancelled Crave just a week or two before buying the tv, so i don't know about that.

20231102-120514.jpg
I like how you set a target for the price you wanted to pay and made your move when the option presented itself.

$1000 is a great price esp. for a 75” with a fast image processor. The image you posted is crisp enough even though there can be discrepancies from the taking of a photo.

I still have my Samsung 65” smart TV from over 10 years ago and it continues to work great. One feature I like about Samsung is how they seem to incorporate more HDMI ports than other manufacturers and I need several.

I’m always very curious about what’s going on in the market but I still can’t get myself to make a move just yet. Would be much easier if my current set broke down.

How is the sound from your monitor? Did you get a sound bar? Most TV speakers sound thin.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

20231102-120514.jpg

I like how you set a target for the price you wanted to pay and made your move when the option presented itself.

$1000 is a great price esp. for a 75” with a fast image processor. The image you posted is crisp enough even though there can be discrepancies from the taking of a photo.

I still have my Samsung 65” smart TV from over 10 years ago and it continues to work great. One feature I like about Samsung is how they seem to incorporate more HDMI ports than other manufacturers and I need several.

I’m always very curious about what’s going on in the market but I still can’t get myself to make a move just yet. Would be much easier if my current set broke down.

How is the sound from your monitor? Did you get a sound bar? Most TV speakers sound thin.

TVs are passé. If you aren't watching your totally legally acquired media on a 4k projector @ 120 inches, are you really watching anything at all?

50cent-meme.gif

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad