OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I’ve never hidden the fact I am a big John Wick fan. That said, I’m lukewarm on The Continental. Agree with Ozy that this show is MUCH more grounded than the movies and they are continuing to try to world build.

I’ve seen a lot of hate about the aesthetics but I like it. However, I think the characters are rather dull and uninteresting. While the movies were serious, I think they also intentionally made the characters campy and over the top. The Continental has campy and over the top characters also but it feels like this was by accident.

Obviously, this doesn’t have the budget of the movies, but part of the charm of John Wick is the ridiculous action pieces. There’s some ok moments but it feels slow and cheap. This is very unlike a show like Ahsoka where their fights are superior to the (newer) movies, despite the TV budget.

Anyhow, to be fair, I‘ve only watched the first episode. I’ll give it a passable 6/10 so far.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I’ve never hidden the fact I am a big John Wick fan. That said, I’m lukewarm on The Continental. Agree with Ozy that this show is MUCH more grounded than the movies and they are continuing to try to world build.

I’ve seen a lot of hate about the aesthetics but I like it. However, I think the characters are rather dull and uninteresting. While the movies were serious, I think they also intentionally made the characters campy and over the top. The Continental has campy and over the top characters also but it feels like this was by accident.

Obviously, this doesn’t have the budget of the movies, but part of the charm of John Wick is the ridiculous action pieces. There’s some ok moments but it feels slow and cheap. This is very unlike a show like Ahsoka where their fights are superior to the (newer) movies, despite the TV budget.

Anyhow, to be fair, I‘ve only watched the first episode. I’ll give it a passable 6/10 so far.

Hey, what's this quoting me without actually quoting me? Jk

Like I said before, for me the charm of John Wick was the world building which really took off in the sequel. The fight scenes are so long and winded, on top of being irrealistic most of the time. This lack of realism, the complete exageration of it all, often irks me. Sometimes it's not even the fighting itself, but just the choices made. Like Cassian's pursuit in the sequel, where John is on the upperdeck walkway and Cassian walking with a crowd down below and shooting at each other with silencers and nobody notices anything. Dios mio. Don't know if you ever heard a real silencer before, but while it does bring down the decibels, mutes the bang, it's still kinda loud if you're close. A loud woosh. Went to a gun range in Florida a few years ago and heard one a couple of stalls down from where I was. Instantly knew it was a silencer, but was surprised of how loud it was. Even with the earmuffs on and the approximate 5 meters distance, I heard the shots well. Pink colored silencer ffs. Some peeps are weird. As an aside, I didn't know silencers are legal in the sunshine state, but learned they are legal in a few states. Probably the ones where the CIA operate the most, so not surprised by Florida in the least, knowing their history there. Anyway, people would instantly notice the sound. Not only this, but bullets are ricocheting and banging on walls and floor. Those impacts alone would alert most people. And then, the hiding of their guns, which are longer due to the silencers, under one jacket side and no one notices even if they're walking right next to Cassian. This scene almost killed it for me. If it weren't for the world building up around the mythical Assassin's order and brought it further in the 3rd film with the old man in the mountain (the dude in the desert, the one who's above the high table, cast titled as the Elder), I would've quit after the sequel.

Mind you, some fight scenes are good. I particularly liked the one in the library at the start of Parrabellum, against Boban Marjanovich.

IMO, the Continental's first episode had just the right amount of fight scenes. Winston and his brother's escape in the stairs was almost on par with the movies, while not being too winded or exagerated.

For me, it's still a better handling of a story than the movies, which are a lot more simplistic plotwise. Sure, it doesn't have the star studded cast of the movies, but personally, it makes it less hard to follow. The plot, I mean.

Oh might as well pour my heart out: while I really like Bill Skarsgaard, couldn't they have made his character a scandinavian? It's a huge missed opportunity to have a French villain without the actual French accent while speaking english. I guess they couldn't convince Lambert Wilson, the Merovingian, to join his other Matrix trilogy buddies into the Wickverse. Sorta feels like the role was initially meant for him specifically.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Hey, what's this quoting me without actually quoting me? Jk

Like I said before, for me the charm of John Wick was the world building which really took off in the sequel. The fight scenes are so long and winded, on top of being irrealistic most of the time. This lack of realism, the complete exageration of it all, often irks me. Sometimes it's not even the fighting itself, but just the choices made. Like Cassian's pursuit in the sequel, where John is on the upperdeck walkway and Cassian walking with a crowd down below and shooting at each other with silencers and nobody notices anything. Dios mio. Don't know if you ever heard a real silencer before, but while it does bring down the decibels, mutes the bang, it's still kinda loud if you're close. A loud woosh. Went to a gun range in Florida a few years ago and heard one a couple of stalls down from where I was. Instantly knew it was a silencer, but was surprised of how loud it was. Even with the earmuffs on and the approximate 5 meters distance, I heard the shots well. Pink colored silencer ffs. Some peeps are weird. As an aside, I didn't know silencers are legal in the sunshine state, but learned they are legal in a few states. Probably the ones where the CIA operate the most, so not surprised by Florida in the least, knowing their history there. Anyway, people would instantly notice the sound. Not only this, but bullets are ricocheting and banging on walls and floor. Those impacts alone would alert most people. And then, the hiding of their guns, which are longer due to the silencers, under one jacket side and no one notices even if they're walking right next to Cassian. This scene almost killed it for me. If it weren't for the world building up around the mythical Assassin's order and brought it further in the 3rd film with the old man in the mountain (the dude in the desert, the one who's above the high table, cast titled as the Elder), I would've quit after the sequel.

Mind you, some fight scenes are good. I particularly liked the one in the library at the start of Parrabellum, against Boban Marjanovich.

IMO, the Continental's first episode had just the right amount of fight scenes. Winston and his brother's escape in the stairs was almost on par with the movies, while not being too winded or exagerated.

For me, it's still a better handling of a story than the movies, which are a lot more simplistic plotwise. Sure, it doesn't have the star studded cast of the movies, but personally, it makes it less hard to follow. The plot, I mean.

Oh might as well pour my heart out: while I really like Bill Skarsgaard, couldn't they have made his character a scandinavian? It's a huge missed opportunity to have a French villain without the actual French accent while speaking english. I guess they couldn't convince Lambert Wilson, the Merovingian, to join his other Matrix trilogy buddies into the Wickverse. Sorta feels like the role was initially meant for him specifically.

Sorry, meant just to state I agreed with a portion of your post but went with my own thoughts independently, but I know your initial response to me was in jest.

Reactions: Runner77

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I can't really get into any movies anymore. I am not a hipster but I don't feel like real movies even get budgets anymore. It's become entirely about product placements and memes. It's not just movies, I feel like most of gaming has gone in this direction as well for minimum effort maximum profits.

I think being a millennial we're not the money generation anymore, things are usually catered to teens or retirees. All the millennial cash grabs have been garbage like the Disney live action movies and the MCU. End Game was basically the culmination of Disney catering to us and swapped into gen z with all the new heroes. Now we just get revivals of tv shows that don't need revivals. The recent Futurama season was pretty average, as much as I wanted to enjoy it.

Having a son now, I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy watching things with him a few years from now.

I did enjoy The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent though.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Did you lose a bet?
Watched the first episode of Gen V, which is a spin-off to The Boys on Prime.
It's entertaining so far. Just as gory and f'd-up as The Boys.
No i did not lose a bet. I had a vey stressful appointment Monday morning and usually watching dumb movies where i can turn my brain to off is a good stress reliever. But this movie was just too dumb. I rewatched Predator instead since i had not watched it in a long time. Comparing Predator to "Statham 2: The Meg just shat his pants" is like comparing a 2000$ champagne bottle to your uncle wine made from grapes he bought at IGA and then having to drink it and pretend it's good cause it's your uncle.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
No i did not lose a bet. I had a vey stressful appointment Monday morning and usually watching dumb movies where i can turn my brain to off is a good stress reliever. But this movie was just too dumb. I rewatched Predator instead since i had not watched it in a long time. Comparing Predator to "Statham 2: The Meg just shat his pants" is like comparing a 2000$ champagne bottle to your uncle wine made from grapes he bought at IGA and then having to drink it and pretend it's good cause it's your uncle.

Did you watch Prey yet?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Did you watch Prey yet?
Yeah i liked it. There's a couple of things i would have changed. The cgi bear was awful but small budget. A mix of a real trained bear and animatronic would have worked far better. Also the "parkour" like training she does at the beginning was stupid. I understand they wanted to establish that she's trained and capable but it could have been done better with real realistic training. Would have been much better had they contacted historians and made her training more real. It just threw me off to see someone jump on the side of a tree to turn more sharply which doesn't make any sense. Trekked into woods a lot at my parent's cottage when i was young and there would be no reason to do that. Also throwing your axe and retrieving it with rope just doesn't work that way in real life. But the design of the predator was cool with new gadgets. Among the "everything got to be a super hero" wave of new movies it's probably one of the least problematic. As a small budget Hulu movie it was fine and better than most big budget action movies released by Hollywood these days.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah i liked it. There's a couple of things i would have changed. The cgi bear was awful but small budget. A mix of a real trained bear and animatronic would have worked far better. Also the "parkour" like training she does at the beginning was stupid. I understand they wanted to establish that she's trained and capable but it could have been done better with real realistic training. Would have been much better had they contacted historians and made her training more real. It just threw me off to see someone jump on the side of a tree to turn more sharply which doesn't make any sense. Trekked into woods a lot at my parent's cottage when i was young and there would be no reason to do that. Also throwing your axe and retrieving it with rope just doesn't work that way in real life. But the design of the predator was cool with new gadgets. Among the "everything got to be a super hero" wave of new movies it's probably one of the least problematic. As a small budget Hulu movie it was fine and better than most big budget action movies released by Hollywood these days.

Even though there were a few things that bugged me, as it did to you, I thought it was the best Pred movie since the original and sequel.

The woke obsession almost ruined it for me though. Scrawny 5 foot girl beats predator is a bit too exagerated for my taste. They should've had her lead a pack that beats the predator. That sense of community and cooperation would've been more in tune with their roots.

Reactions: LaP

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As a small budget Hulu movie it was fine and better than most big budget action movies released by Hollywood these days.
Hollywood hasn’t really released much in the past 5 months due to you-know-what.

Would be nice not to get bombarded by the same-old.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm watching the David Beckham documentary on Netflix, and doing so as somebody who has very, very little knowledge of soccer.

I didn't realize that he was such a good player, I thought that he was a promising player who declined rapidly from the late 1990s onwards after he got famous. The documentary implies that he was one of the best players until 2010 or so, for example he did well for Real Madrid, and got to take free kicks and corners even though Zidane was on the team. That means that there was an actual thing that he could do better than Zidane, which is incredible.

I never really thought about club teams, my "knowledge" such as it is, is from international play. I tune in every four years and sometimes for the Euro Cup as well, and I recall Beckham and England in general always underperforming in international play, they're equivalent to the Maple Leafs in the NHL playoffs.

The owner of the LA Galaxy comes off as a fat rich American prick.

As a human being, Beckham comes off quite well, really down to Earth in his retirement life, he likes getting honey from his bees and he has a nice rapport with his wife of twenty years. They had a beautiful wedding too.

I did think he came off as a prick when he wanted to stay in Milan, by that point his wife had done a lot for him, he should have stayed in LA and been happy to support his wife in the period where she wanted to raise their children in relative ease. I get that he was bored in LA, but he could have used his connections to bring in some intermediate-level players to be his teammates. Also he missed one of his children's births to do a photo shoot with Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez. So that period 2005-2010 is not one where he looks good as a human being.

I saw that Lionel Messi was not capable of lifting his Miami team into the MLS playoffs. Perhaps that league has improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad