OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Here’s a throwback for all of my fellow geezers out there. One of my favorite guilty pleasures is watching the late great John Candy parody Darryl Sittler on SCTV! From playing for the Toronto Bay Leafs to him mashing Cornabix cereal with Guy LaFluer “Joe Flaterly”!!!! “You lose your plate in Boston Darryl? Why don’t you just take some milk and mash it down Eh!
I recommend Magnum PEI.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just saw it tonight, makes you think. A little long, and perhaps I would have gone on more about the moral dilemma. A diverse crowd, in age, at the theatre tonight.

It was long, I agree and felt it during the final act. Another criticism is the same I’ve had with recent Nolan films where the music is far too loud and is non-stop.

The crowd when I went was also very diverse in age which was actually nice to see.

Now, going 180 degrees and full speed into sci-fi, so far I am really digging the Ahsoka series. Episode 3 had pretty much everything you’d want to see in Star Wars; Jedi stuff, space battles and light saber wielding.

I know he’s borrowing from Legends, but the world building Filoni is doing makes perfect sense. A line from an earlier episode where the villain says some legends are based in truths is a clear indicator of that. This allows some fresh stories while staying familiar for those who only know the movies.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

What an incredibly stupid poll.

To cut off any director who debuted before 98 from being considered for the best director in the last 25 years is typical ageist nonsense. Leaving Tarantino, Scorsese, Del Toro, the Cohen brothers, Spielberg, Cameron, Winding Refn and countless others out of the poll stinks of man-buns and vapes lol.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

To cut off any director who debuted before 98 from being considered for the best director in the last 25 years is typical ageist nonsense. Leaving Tarantino, Scorsese, Del Toro, the Cohen brothers, Spielberg, Cameron, Winding Refn and countless others out of the poll stinks of man-buns and vapes lol.

Jeeze get a grip. They already have a best director list of all time, they're simply doing this one with a different flavor for their 25th anniversary. Your post stinks of generational insecurity. You and Salbutera would make great drinking buddies.

The directors you named have all been celebrated thoroughly, god forbid someone would celebrate the more recent ones.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I liked it.
crazy cameos though from Christopher Walken to Sean Avery??? I shit you not, lol.

Can't wait to see Walken as President Shaddam the fourth. Best movie news I've had in recent years.

Say what you will about Villeneuve, he has a nack for properly selecting actors, a bit like Vince Gilligan on TV.

Except for Chalamet and Zendaya, the cast was chosen pretty well. Skarsgard as Vladimir Harkonnen was probably his best choice, but now with Walken as Shaddam, it's gonna be epic.

If any actor can pull it off, it’s him.

He just doesn't look like Stalin, even if you gave him a big fake mustache.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

What's wrong with a best directors to emerge in the last twenty five years poll?

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
What's wrong with a best directors to emerge in the last twenty five years poll?
One could argue that the bracket approach is inherently unfair, but there’s nothing wrong with the subject of the poll itself, especially given that it’s in the context of RT’s 25th anniversary.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
One could argue that the bracket approach is inherently unfair, but there’s nothing wrong with the subject of the poll itself, especially given that it’s in the context of RT’s 25th anniversary.
The Chazelle and Waititi bracket was imo definitely weaker than the other ones. Some directors eliminated in the 3rd round would have likely won that bracket.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Can't wait to see Walken as President Shaddam the fourth. Best movie news I've had in recent years.

Say what you will about Villeneuve, he has a nack for properly selecting actors, a bit like Vince Gilligan on TV.

Except for Chalamet and Zendaya, the cast was chosen pretty well. Skarsgard as Vladimir Harkonnen was probably his best choice, but now with Walken as Shaddam, it's gonna be epic.

He just doesn't look like Stalin, even if you gave him a big fake mustache.

It sucks that we have to wait until next year to watch that movie. This is pretty much the only movie I was waiting for in 2023

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
It sucks that we have to wait until next year to watch that movie. This is pretty much the only movie I was waiting for in 2023
This looks really good, I'm excited for this one

1693523964194.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad