OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I was reading a bit about the story this series is based on and I think I may give it a shot and binge watch after all episodes air. Seems Ruth Wilson always plays a very similar type character in the series she's in.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
The One Piece live-action is probably the best adaptation from a manga/anime I've seen ever. It's very close to the source material for the small anime part that I did watch. Keep in mind that they're over 1000 episodes in the anime series + many movies

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ordered couple Iwo Jima movies through library today. Want to learn as much about it as can. Seen on Pawn Stars show that was bloodiest battle in WW II. Americans lost 25,000 marines in that one battle. Staggering.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Ordered couple Iwo Jima movies through library today. Want to learn as much about it as can. Seen on Pawn Stars show that was bloodiest battle in WW II. Americans lost 25,000 marines in that one battle. Staggering.

Not sure what you ordered but Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima are great films. The Pacific is also some essential television.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
My favorite was Gary Oldman playing Truman.. after having played Churchill some years ago. I hope he gets to play Stalin once to complete the trifecta
Huh, how about Mackenzie King? He was at those summits also.:sarcasm:

It may be a real stretch for Oldman to play a mommy's boy who visits prostitutes so he can use the Ouija Board to speak to his dead mommy.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I ordered two of them. The Pacific and Letters from Iwo Jima. You seen them?

Yes to both, plus Flags of our Fathers. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them but Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Jima were filmed and released back to back. Different stories (within the same battles), but it was cool given Eastwood did this to allow for cohesive storytelling and aesthetics between the films.

The Pacific was excellent. I still prefer Band of Brothers, but it has all the high quality and standards.

Separate from Iwo Jima, Hacksaw Ridge was another great film. Just as harrowing but an inspiring story.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Yes to both, plus Flags of our Fathers. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them but Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Jima were filmed and released back to back. Different stories (within the same battles), but it was cool given Eastwood did this to allow for cohesive storytelling and aesthetics between the films.

The Pacific was excellent. I still prefer Band of Brothers, but it has all the high quality and standards.

Separate from Iwo Jima, Hacksaw Ridge was another great film. Just as harrowing but an inspiring story.
They were filmed as the same movie (story) but telling and showing it from both sides, which was really cool.

Reactions: Redux91

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I never knew the Pacific theatre was as bloody as it was. They were saying it was worse than the Eastern front

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I never knew the Pacific theatre was as bloody as it was. They were saying it was worse than the Eastern front

It was more brutal and barbaric. I don’t want to say there were no atrocities in Europe, but the treatment of prisoners and civilians was terrible in the Pacific. While conditions were harsh in both campaigns, I think disease and other heat related illnesses were more rampant, which contributed to the death toll.

I do think fewer Americans died in the Pacific campaign though by a significant margin.

Reactions: HuGort and Runner77

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It was more brutal and barbaric. I don’t want to say there were no atrocities in Europe, but the treatment of prisoners and civilians was terrible in the Pacific. While conditions were harsh in both campaigns, I think disease and other heat related illnesses were more rampant, which contributed to the death toll.

I do think fewer Americans died in the Pacific campaign though by a significant margin.
Likely, I heard the Japanese with heartless. Probably why they not allowed to build strong military today.

As Canadian I never heard much about Pacific battles because Canada was in Europe battles. It's interesting to learn though.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Likely, I heard the Japanese with heartless. Probably why they not allowed to build strong military today.

As Canadian I never heard much about Pacific battles because Canada was in Europe battles. It's interesting to learn though.

The Japanese were very brutal, especially with prisoners. Their never surrender attitude, coupled with the general racism in the American military didn’t help either.

As Canadians, so tightly tied with the US, it’s natural to know more about Europe. The Americans did not deploy as many forces in the Pacific as well. Not sure if that affected the media coverage as much, but given based on math, fewer Americans died, it doesn’t get talked about as much.

This is also just me thinking out loud, but as I mentioned, the Pacific was dirty and ugly. I wasn’t around and can only go by what I’ve read and seen in some of the movies we’ve discussed, but I don’t think Americans view the Pacific front as romantically as the European front for those reasons. That’s actually why I enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge because it showed a lot of the ugly side of the Americans, but was still a heroic story. Granted, there was some creative liberties taken, as in all true event movies, but you should definitely check that one out also.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

That's just historical bias, the battle of Stalingrad alone was ±2 million casualties, ±1 million KIA and that doesn't include civilians or POWs who died during forced march or in a gulag or a Nazi concentration camps.

Fun fact: Canada was involved in the the battle of Okinawa as a detachment of the Royal Navy.
The plan for the RCN was to acquires fleet carriers (so it could form its own task force) for the Pacific theater, but the war ended before that.

Reactions: Fenris

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's just historical bias, the battle of Stalingrad alone was ±2 million casualties, ±1 million KIA and that doesn't include civilians or POWs who died during forced march or in a gulag or a Nazi concentration camps.

Fun fact: Canada was involved in the the battle of Okinawa as a detachment of the Royal Navy.
The plan for the RCN was to acquires fleet carriers (so it could form its own task force) for the Pacific theater, but the war ended before that.
The Russian war I never heard stories of. Because Canada wasn't involved in it. Guy in my community was a bomber pilot. Halifax class he use to say, four engines Rolls Royce, 1600 horses each one. He was shot down on his 45th mission, over Netherlands. POW camp for 6 months, he spoke of hatred Russians had for Germany though

Reactions: Fenris

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Moving on to “Wars” of another type, the last two episodes of Ahsoka have been some of the best Star Wars I’ve seen. So far, they are really knocking this out of the park. Better than the crap JJ Abrams pumped out.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Recently watched

Slow Horses. First 2 seasons.
Very British anti-heroes. Loved it.

The Lincoln Lawyer. First season.
Very bingeable but ultimately just ok.
10 episodes were just too many for the story they wanted to tell.
Acting of some secondary characters was subpar.

MH370: The Plane That Disappeared
Just terrible.
It's technically well done but it focuses on ridiculous conspiracy theories.
It's full of misinformation and omissions.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yep. I am proud to be another Abe Simpson yelling skyward. CGI environments suck.

For now.

Yes and no for me. Definitely, if it‘s real, of course it looks better. More depth, grit, more natural.

CGI will work if the environment is completely unreal, for obvious reasons… that environment cannot be replicated. That said, the right amount of money and time would need to be spent or else you get effects like the first Black Panther movie. Yikes!

On that note, there’s a channel on YouTube, Corridor Crew, which they break down a lot of CGI stuff. They got a series called CGI Artists React which is great because they’ll bring in actual industry experts. I’m not an artist but I’m fascinated with the work put into it.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Where can I find a definitive tv schedule for the habs? It’s the same question each year, I would even refer to it if stickied.

I’m moving (montreal), need to have bell installed and can’t tell if I need every sports channel available ever or some combo that covers it. Was thinking Sportsnet (east, west, everywhere) + the tsn (which you have to buy all of them or none). Does that cover it? It’s not even listed on nhl.com.

Could not find a sticky or a thread, quantum mechanics are easier to grasp than hab tv schedules.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Where can I find a definitive tv schedule for the habs? It’s the same question each year, I would even refer to it if stickied.

I’m moving (montreal), need to have bell installed and can’t tell if I need every sports channel available ever or some combo that covers it. Was thinking Sportsnet (east, west, everywhere) + the tsn (which you have to buy all of them or none). Does that cover it? It’s not even listed on nhl.com.

Could not find a sticky or a thread, quantum mechanics are easier to grasp than hab tv schedules.
Sportsnet and RDS pretty much give you everything
And someday soon RDS will get Saturday nights back because LOL TVA is crumbling by the day

• Love
Reactions: Naslundforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad