OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I had 60 hours+ on my first run, then stopped playing. I started playing it again over the weekend after watching the show. All the bugs are still there :(. Anyway, like some people said elsewhere: the show was kinda depressing. (but I liked it. Evangelion was probably way more depressing)

I held off from buying it because of the bugs, so thank you for updating me.

Can't believe it's still over 50$ and they haven't fixed it yet. I was greatly interested in that game so I'm hoping for a No Man's Sky type of redemption.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Netflix keeps recommending me all of Mark Wahlberg's movies for some reason. :laugh:

I saw one with him for sure, a good one, and I think something awful like a videogame based movie or similar.

Watching "DAHMERr" in bed.

Started craving something to eat. :sarcasm:
How’s the house building going? Sounds like a stressful time and an expensive project at this time in life. Best of luck, you feel like one of the good guys in life. Your wife is lucky to have you.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
How’s the house building going? Sounds like a stressful time and an expensive project at this time in life. Best of luck, you feel like one of the good guys in life. Your wife is lucky to have you.
Pretty much on track. Doubt it'll be ready for when we get back from our honeymoon in November, but fingers crossed.

It's expensive, yes. A totally custom 3 story build with specialty rooms/sections. Half of the basement in a movie theatre (also dancefloor; don't ask :facepalm:) then theres also a room with two sensory deprivation tanks. We're into it because it's an exceptionally efficient calming/relaxation technique.

Then there's two swimming pools - a small indoor (20m) and a larger outdoor one in the backyard.

Most foundational stuff is complete, some electrical left, some interior work, that sort of stuff.

But there's no furniture or anything in the new house yet. Some random stuff like chairs, a sofa, etc. but we'll have to open our wallets again to re-furnish this 6 bedroom + 5 1/2 bathrooms and specialty areas beast. The plan is to go slow and steady.

The BIGGEST headache however wasn't any of that. It was picking the build sight. Ouff, there were battles fought, lost and won. Terri wanted a place somewhat close to where her current house sits - Southwest of St.Lous. I did win however and we're moving to the other end of the state closer to KC. Yeah, not going to lie it's more secluded but only because you have more land, it's lush with streams, a lake or two and hilly areas. Superb foroutdoorsy life, but even closer to KC than we are to STL now.

KC is less "stabby". Was a big factor for me. It's just a better city with more variety in almost every respect. I won't miss the Blues, lol.

Just quickly tried to share some almost random info. Hope you find it interesting.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Pretty much on track. Doubt it'll be ready for when we get back from our honeymoon in November, but fingers crossed.

It's expensive, yes. A totally custom 3 story build with specialty rooms/sections. Half of the basement in a movie theatre (also dancefloor; don't ask :facepalm:) then theres also a room with two sensory deprivation tanks. We're into it because it's an exceptionally efficient calming/relaxation technique.

Then there's two swimming pools - a small indoor (20m) and a larger outdoor one in the backyard.

Most foundational stuff is complete, some electrical left, some interior work, that sort of stuff.

But there's no furniture or anything in the new house yet. Some random stuff like chairs, a sofa, etc. but we'll have to open our wallets again to re-furnish this 6 bedroom + 5 1/2 bathrooms and specialty areas beast. The plan is to go slow and steady.

The BIGGEST headache however wasn't any of that. It was picking the build sight. Ouff, there were battles fought, lost and won. Terri wanted a place somewhat close to where her current house sits - Southwest of St.Lous. I did win however and we're moving to the other end of the state closer to KC. Yeah, not going to lie it's more secluded but only because you have more land, it's lush with streams, a lake or two and hilly areas. Superb foroutdoorsy life, but even closer to KC than we are to STL now.

KC is less "stabby". Was a big factor for me. It's just a better city with more variety in almost every respect. I won't miss the Blues, lol.

Just quickly tried to share some almost random info. Hope you find it interesting.
Wow, thanks for sharing kiwi. Sounds like you are building your forever home. Two swimming pools, one indoor and one out. Amazing, I hope the family loves it.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ

I hope you didn't built an apocalypse bunker in there too. Seems like that'll backfire and just attract more crazies.

He Built a Home to Survive a Civil War. Tragedy Found Him Anyway.

Insane and tragic story, still can't get over it.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A friend of ours never saw this,and loved it! still funny stuff:thumbu::thumbu:

images.jpg

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Just an opinion, my vote for greatest talk show ever… The Sammy Maudlin Show, with William B Williams and the worst comic ever: Bobby Bittman plus his brother Skip. Loved “On The Waterfront Again “!!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jimmy Kimmel doing his yearly shows from Brooklyn this week.

Tonight should be interesting as David Letterman guests.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The hell is going on with House of Dragon..
They just take leaps in time and kill people off at will...Three scenes and you' out.

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Enjoyed The Little Things all things considered. For a while there the interplay between Leto, Malek and Washington was entertaining. Yeah, the writing went to hell towards the end and I felt sorry for those 3 very capable actors having to work through that.

Malek somewhat disappointing. Still looking for more range out of him.

Leto. What a talent.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
S3 finale of Barry (re-watching the show) is terrifying. I just had to take my earbuds out to decompress a little. 26-27 minutes is all it has but what it manages to create during this time is hard to describe. Intensity of this finale and the acting....I knew of course I knew acting was masterful inBarry top to bottom. But here it's all facial closeups during incredibly violent or emotional scenes. I noticed how Sally's eye is twitching, really twitching as she's held by Barry with camera 5 inches away. What kind of a frame of mind do you have to get into to pull this off - I don't know. I don't know if I've seen better in TV.

I'm going to say it now - Barry is a flawless show. It has no weaknesses I can detect in acting, writing, sound or camera (although the latter two aren't important, still brilliant). For Hader to write this (partially)....wow. Technically it reminds me of Mr. Robot somewhat. No, not as wild with its lens and editing and sound, but in the same vein. It's trying less, it's less over the top because it's grounded in all of its craziness.

This is anything but character development, and it doesn't shy away from admitting it. The duality of the plot they stretch to absurd lengths yet it works. It works when the two worlds clash and it works when they're far far apart.

I'm almost rambling now after 10 minutes, but that's just because this is the best series I've ever seen and it raises so many questions, thoughts all at once that I can't even analyze it properly. It's a gift, at least to me. All pales in comparison to this, even what I thought would be competitive with Barry is simply not close.

Barry gets better the more times you re-watch it. Significantly better and sharper each time as you notice more nuances. Last show that had this effect on me was River (got better with repeat viewings) - I think I saw it 15-20 times. I just might break that record with Barry, but it's a longer running series, so maybe not. Amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barriwhite

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
S3 finale of Barry (re-watching the show) is terrifying. I just had to take my earbuds out to decompress a little. 26-27 minutes is all it has but what it manages to create during this time is hard to describe. Intensity of this finale and the acting....I knew of course I knew acting was masterful inBarry top to bottom. But here it's all facial closeups during incredibly violent or emotional scenes. I noticed how Sally's eye is twitching, really twitching as she's held by Barry with camera 5 inches away. What kind of a frame of mind do you have to get into to pull this off - I don't know. I don't know if I've seen better in TV.

I'm going to say it now - Barry is a flawless show. It has no weaknesses I can detect in acting, writing, sound or camera (although the latter two aren't important, still brilliant). For Hader to write this (partially)....wow. Technically it reminds me of Mr. Robot somewhat. No, not as wild with its lens and editing and sound, but in the same vein. It's trying less, it's less over the top because it's grounded in all of its craziness.

This is anything but character development, and it doesn't shy away from admitting it.

I'm almost rambling now after 10 minutes, but that's just because this is the best series I've ever seen and it raises so many questions, thoughts all at once that I can't even analyze it properly. It's a gift, at least to me. All pales in comparison to this, even what I thought would be competitive with Barry is simply not close.

Barry gets better the more times you re-watch it. Significantly better and sharper each time as you notice more nuances. Last show that had this effect on me was River (got better with repeat viewings) - I think I saw it 15-20 times. I just might break that record with Barry, but it's a longer running series, so maybe not. Amazing stuff.
Great acting except for Sarah Goldberg’s, which had ups and downs. S3 was probably her best though.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Great acting except for Sarah Goldberg’s, which had ups and downs. S3 was probably her best though.
I disagree. She's on par with the rest. Hader, for example. They both have "weak" moments, but it's difficult to notice with how tightly wound it is.

Again, this show has 0 character development. By design. These people are fleeting images really. It's another reason why it's a masterpiece. It strips itself down purposefully but still delivers in spades. My take on this anyway. Sally plays a "bridge" between the world of a hitman and the stage (sad and shallow stage). That magnifies the effect of her character being "unpolished". Many don't see that she is the door Barry goes through. Emotions in general are at a premium durin S1-2. They clobber you with context instead. Remember the car scene? My favourite. 2 seconds you're given and a broken, half finished sentence to understand what has happened. And if you caught that what follows is devastating. I felt those two seconds like it was happening to me. Tobuild this kind of an emotional ramp in what 30 seconds of the scene.... You have to be a genius, truly.

Does anyone who likes Barry disagree that the writing is as good as anything we've ever seen? Love it most of all.

My favourite is Gene. Great performance.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Saw Bullet Train last night. It's a fun film if you park your sense of realism, taste and quality at the door. It's as enjoyable as chips and coke. It's not a very good film but it's a fun film.
As a filmmaker, I thought you might have liked this:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad