OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It played in the 80's too. Used to watch that, Goldorak and Voltron in the same years I was heavy on the Transformers.

I think there was a modern remake or sequel to Albator. Wasn't it on NF?
I was more into he-man. I had snake mountain, castle grayskull, slime pit etc.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Me too, but I was very young and He-man was one of the very first cartoons i loved, and I also had the slime pit, but my mom hated it because of the green gunk. It smelled bad too.

Afterwards, I had my robot and spider-man and GI joe period.
Samel, I traded all my toys into a dealer for hockey cards. It’s hard to say who came out ahead on that deal. I still have my card collection. I’ve got a ton of cards. I’d like to get them appraised. Had some of them locked in cases for 30 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
...BIZARRE...funniest f**kin' show on Canadian TV in the 80's, imo...between that an The Littlest Hobo for my alltime favorite Canadian Prime Time show...
Littlest Hobo lol. Every ending was sad.

Just realized it followed the same format as the Incredible Hulk. Traveling helper who had to move on after every episode.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Not Goldorak but Albator, an animated japanese sf. The main character was a skinny pirate, His spaceship was a mix of modern and pirate ship. That serie was translated in french. See by yourself the opening title. It's weird and cool. Old style of the late 70's.

Had some thinking about those shows recently. They were older than I was so I never got into them, but I remember that my dad has referenced them in the past and it just made me think about how some things can be sooo huge at one point in time and then basically fade into memories. I mean even when you search for Goldorak stuff on the internet now there's not a whole lot when you consider how popular it was back then.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Had some thinking about those shows recently. They were older than I was so I never got into them, but I remember that my dad has referenced them in the past and it just made me think about how some things can be sooo huge at one point in time and then basically fade into memories. I mean even when you search for Goldorak stuff on the internet now there's not a whole lot when you consider how popular it was back then.

Same thing that happens to many shows. Very few people under 40-50 remembers the Thunderbirds

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I finished the new Cobra Kai season yesterday.

What an insanely stupid show. And I love it.

Season 6 incoming. And i thought it would die after 2-3 seasons. :facepalm:

it was actually one of my favorite seasons and they finally re-switched to ending the season without an All Valley tourny. Iirc, the only time they did that was when Miguel broke his back.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...anyone watch Beast ,the new Idris Elba movie, yet??...liked it for just a pure action-monster movie vibe, but damn it skipped over the story like a Narrator on Speed (the Narcotic, not the Movie)...:laugh:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Season 6 incoming. And i thought it would die after 2-3 seasons. :facepalm:

it was actually one of my favorite seasons and they finally re-switched to ending the season without an All Valley tourny. Iirc, the only time they did that was when Miguel broke his back.
Yeah, I didn't think it would last this long at all. I don't think a sixth season has been confirmed yet, but it seems to be one of the few shows Netflix puts money into so I assume that we'll get a sixth (and final?) season too.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I think there was a modern remake or sequel to Albator. Wasn't it on NF?

The english dub of the 2013 3D GC movie is available on Tubi: Harlock: Space Pirate (2014)

As a side note the universe Albator take place in is pretty damn big and include around 30 titles made between the 1970s and 2010s, most notably: Galaxy Express 999, Queen Millenia, Maetel Legend, Queen Emeraldas and The Galaxy Railways.

Albator 78 (Captain Harlock) and Galaxy Express 999 can be watched for free on Crunchyroll, but for some reason a premium account is needed to watch Albator 84 (Endless Orbit SSX).

What happened with Goldorak was fairly unique, it was a much bigger success in Europe and Quebec than in Japan. And due to the unfortunate timing of the original run ending in 1977 in Japan, a mere 2 years before Gundam came out. Gundam quickly established itself as the unchallenged reference and influence in the genre until the mid-1990s. Goldorak was never able to capitalize on its early international success (other than Mattel making Goldorak toys) and the franchise was pretty much abandoned and forgotten.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
The english dub of the 2013 3D GC movie is available on Tubi: Harlock: Space Pirate (2014)

As a side note the universe Albator take place in is pretty damn big and include around 30 titles made between the 1970s and 2010s, most notably: Galaxy Express 999, Queen Millenia, Maetel Legend, Queen Emeraldas and The Galaxy Railways.

Albator 78 (Captain Harlock) and Galaxy Express 999 can be watched for free on Crunchyroll, but for some reason a premium account is needed to watch Albator 84 (Endless Orbit SSX).

What happened with Goldorak was fairly unique, it was a much bigger success in Europe and Quebec than in Japan. And due to the unfortunate timing of the original run ending in 1977 in Japan, a mere 2 years before Gundam came out. Gundam quickly established itself as the unchallenged reference and influence in the genre until the mid-1990s. Goldorak was never able to capitalize on its early international success (other than Mattel making Goldorak toys) and the franchise was pretty much abandoned and forgotten.
Thanks for the info. Very interesting to read about this. I know some company is making a video game about Goldorak at the moment. Probably not going to be a world beater but still it's nice to know it's not fully lost to time.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
On another subject…. not normaly a disney “wokeness” (I don’t really like using that word), but that sequel of inside and out (pixar, coming out next year could be special…)(I say special because we don’t actually know the story just a synopsis but it is easy to imagine where this might go).

Main Character is now a teenager and dealing with conflicting emotions.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
...anyone watch Beast ,the new Idris Elba movie, yet??...liked it for just a pure action-monster movie vibe, but damn it skipped over the story like a Narrator on Speed (the Narcotic, not the Movie)...:laugh:
Saw it on the first night, for an hour / 45 min it was decent and it all went downhill after that, what a horrible movie lol

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The new episodes of Mets y le Paquet are funny. That comedian can be anything, from the worst douche to the new age freak. Most of the time bizarre. How nobody recongnise him? People have patience, why nobody punch his face or get really mad at him? Sometimes I laught so hard. He's the best to make the victims looks stupid.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The Bear (Disney+): Urban settings and production, down to earth subject.......fantastic writting and acting, even if nothing really happens. No special effect, no big production, but still extremely effective. If you like food show, it's a must.....if not, still worth it: 9/10

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, I didn't think it would last this long at all. I don't think a sixth season has been confirmed yet, but it seems to be one of the few shows Netflix puts money into so I assume that we'll get a sixth (and final?) season too.
I binged the season in two days last week. The series is as nutritious as a bag of chips and just as addictive. Thing is... as much as I like it, I don't see where they can go from here. The kids have resolved their issues, Daniel and Johnny are cool, and they've burned through all the bad-guys from the past. Does anyone give a shit about the lady sensei or any other secondary character?

Kreese is on the loose, but he can't exactly run a dojo. He's an escaped criminal. If he shows his face for longer than 10 minutes he'll be hauled back to jail.

Maybe Daniel and Johnny will take their crew overseas to fight in that international tournament and be terrorized by a dojo run by Kreese, who fled the country. Or maybe Miyagi Fang will fight The Avengers. Pass the chips.

Reactions: KFlint

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I binged the season in two days last week. The series is as nutritious as a bag of chips and just as addictive. Thing is... as much as I like it, I don't see where they can go from here. The kids have resolved their issues, Daniel and Johnny are cool, and they've burned through all the bad-guys from the past. Does anyone give a shit about the lady sensei or any other secondary character?

Kreese is on the loose, but he can't exactly run a dojo. He's an escaped criminal. If he shows his face for longer than 10 minutes he'll be hauled back to jail.

Maybe Daniel and Johnny will take their crew overseas to fight in that international tournament and be terrorized by a dojo run by Kreese, who fled the country. Or maybe Miyagi Fang will fight The Avengers. Pass the chips.

It has to end with the international tournament, but it's gonna be Kreese with Cobra Kai. With Silver gone, Kreese will take over Cobra Kai, though not sure how they'll resolve the whole -he's exonerated at the same time he escapes prison-.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I just checked and while they haven't confirmed it yet, the three writers confirmed they are already planning the story for season 6, so it's just a matter of time.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It has to end with the international tournament, but it's gonna be Kreese with Cobra Kai. With Silver gone, Kreese will take over Cobra Kai, though not sure how they'll resolve the whole -he's exonerated at the same time he escapes prison-.
What's left of Cobra Kai to take over? There's nothing and no one worth fighting over.

The only unresolved story arc is between Johnny and Kreese. For all his batshit craziness, Kreese still sees Johnny as a pseudo-son he wants to protect. Can they create a storyline around that, while somehow roping the kids into another epic battle? Seems unlikely, but the writers have done more with less up until now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad