OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
The moment that Liotta appeared as Shoeless Joe* was a pivotal moment in a pivotal film, even if the whole thing made no sense. I don't think Liotta was especially great, but his role and what it meant was great.

If you really think about it, Field of Dreams is plain silly. It has a fairy-tale premise that's fit for children, which is based on a century-old scandal from MLB that no child would understand. So why the hell does it work so well? I get the primal male need to connect through time with our dads, but framing it within a story about baseball history is a huge leap. The parts shouldn't fit together, yet the film gets to me every time.

Can you appreciate Field of Dreams if you're not a baseball fan? Do women get anything from it, or is it the male version of The Notebook? Field of Dreams is one of those rare films that can't be engineered and can probably never be re-done. It's a one-off curiosity that balances past & present with sentiment & sports.

* Shoeless Joe was an ugly mofo. Liotta looked nothing like him. Another example of how the impact of seeing Shoeless Joe Jackson relied on a knowledge of baseball but not a knowledge of the player himself. You couldn't have done that with Babe Ruth.
While it is geared towards the American male , I do know many women who have been " affected" by this movie. When I went to see it in the theatre , we were a group and the only person who thought it was stupid and made no sense was someone who was visiting from another country.

While it was definitely a fantasy I thought the movie made a lot of sense but that's me.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
While it is geared towards the American male , I do know many women who have been " affected" by this movie. When I went to see it in the theatre , we were a group and the only person who thought it was stupid and made no sense was someone who was visiting from another country.

While it was definitely a fantasy I thought the movie made a lot of sense but that's
My dad is still alive, we have a great relationship, and he never played baseball, yet the film resonated with me too. The story makes you feel like you're reaching back to recapture something you lost... but like a magic trick it only works if you don't analyze it too deeply.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Well this movie also touches a vibe in what exactly should you be aspiring for in your life. When he said "Heaven is the place where dreams come true" and then KC turns around, looks at his fields, his house, his wife and kid, it makes me realize how pointless it is to wish for more than that.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
It was predictable Lalo would show-up somewhere in Jimmy and Kim's scheme. I thought he'd come in play earlier and ruin their plans, but this is even worst.
Next 2-3 episodes will be very intense I think. I think there is likely going to be one full episode about Jimmy post-BB, so that leaves 5 episodes to deal with Lalo-Fring's war.

We know in BB that the cartel is not aware of Fring's lab, so it means Lalo will fail to reveal it. What will happen with Kim though..... hum.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Next 2-3 episodes will be very intense I think. I think there is likely going to be one full episode about Jimmy post-BB, so that leaves 5 episodes to deal with Lalo-Fring's war.

We know in BB that the cartel is not aware of Fring's lab, so it means Lalo will fail to reveal it. What will happen with Kim though..... hum.

If she doesn't die, I bet we'll see her in the black & white scenes.

Reactions: Paddyjack

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Dog 6.5/10

If you like dogs, story of a German Shepheard with character issues recently retired from the army.

Titanic 3 4/10

Titanic, ditzy blonde, greed and mystery, plus Zombies. How can you miss. :laugh:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I've started watching the Orville as a new season should be coming out soon. I believe people were right: it's a better show than whatever Star Trek has done over recent years while not being serious

Reactions: Milhouse40

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I've started watching the Orville as a new season should be coming out soon. I believe people were right: it's a better show than whatever Star Trek has done over recent years while not being serious
Ha! I just got Season 2 to watch before it returns. It's a long gap between seasons though, there should be some cast changes. Looking forwards to it.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

It stands on his own....I thought it would be a cheap parody but nope, it's surprisingly good.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I feel like I'm enjoying this season of Stranger Things more than the last one...or maybe it's because my lady is really into it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
I just switched channel to Radio-Canada when the Avs-Oilers game ended to catch the end of the news. Just in time to see the end of the bit on Crimes of the Future. Viggo interrupted Cronenberg in his answer to a question because he knew where it was going, and he translated and finished his answer in French, all of that while wearing a Habs t-shirt under his jacket

Reactions: Chili and ArtPeur

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I feel like I'm enjoying this season of Stranger Things more than the last one...or maybe it's because my lady is really into it.

I also loved this one, seems like they got back to what made the 1st season good....and with episode lasting form 1h00 to 1h20, it's perfect. I'm only at EP4 and so far this season is much better than 2 and 3.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
everything everywhere all at once: 8.5/10 bold, original and touching at the same time.

stranger things season 4 part 1: 8/10

tokyo vice season 1: 8/10 very good 1st season

better call saul season 6 part 1: 8/10

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
I also loved this one, seems like they got back to what made the 1st season good....and with episode lasting form 1h00 to 1h20, it's perfect. I'm only at EP4 and so far this season is much better than 2 and 3.
I'm a EP5, but I really liked season 3 though. This season has a lot of moments where I'm frustrated by some characters, especially the jocks. I preferred Maxine's brother as a bad guy.

But I'm always more critic while I'm watching something, and I realize how much I liked it afterwards

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Man Colorado/Denver fans were lucky to not only have this level of hockey right out of the gate but also have an intense rivalry that legends are made of. Imagine if they had stayed in Quebec and the people of Quebec would have had that.
Imagine if NHL network was a thing back then and people could watch teams like Dallas..Colorado..Detroit..Rangers...Philly...on the daily?
I was a Nordiques fan because of Sakic, never missed a Colorado game I could watch. If I had the same access as today, I probably never jump ship towards Montreal.

Can't wait to see this 30 for 30.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Imagine if NHL network was a thing back then and people could watch teams like Dallas..Colorado..Detroit..Rangers...Philly...on the daily?
I was a Nordiques fan because of Sakic, never missed a Colorado game I could watch. If I had the same access as today, I probably never jump ship towards Montreal.

Can't wait to see this 30 for 30.

Something to think about, right. Imagine having center ice back then. Good God. Lindros in his prime too. I wished the NHL would release whole hockey seasons on bluray. Do what the Habs did with the centenial year where they made this big box sets with the most memorable Habs matches. Give me a big box set of one particular season of the Avs or Wings of that era.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Something to think about, right. Imagine having center ice back then. Good God. Lindros in his prime too. I wished the NHL would release whole hockey seasons on bluray. Do what the Habs did with the centenial year where they made this big box sets with the most memorable Habs matches. Give me a big box set of one particular season of the Avs or Wings of that era.
Seriously...the Rangers in 96...Gretzky..Messier..Graves..Leetch..Sundstrom...Robitaille..Kovalev..
Colorado...Sakic..Forsberg..Roy..Foote..Kaminsky..Ozolinsh..Deadmarsh..Jones..Lemieux..Ricci..
Detroit...Shanahan..Yzerman..Fedorov..Larionov..Kozlov..
Philly..LeClair..Lindros..Brind'Amour..Renberg..Desjardins..Coffey..Hawerchuk

I think every player I mentioned would be on our top line.
Sorry for the OT.

Reactions: Kimota

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Seriously...the Rangers in 96...Gretzky..Messier..Graves..Leetch..Sundstrom...Robitaille..Kovalev..
Colorado...Sakic..Forsberg..Roy..Foote..Kaminsky..Ozolinsh..Deadmarsh..Jones..Lemieux..Ricci..
Detroit...Shanahan..Yzerman..Fedorov..Larionov..Kozlov..
Philly..LeClair..Lindros..Brind'Amour..Renberg..Desjardins..Coffey..Hawerchuk

I think every player I mentioned would be on our top line.
Sorry for the OT.

You forgot friggin Lidstrom

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I just switched channel to Radio-Canada when the Avs-Oilers game ended to catch the end of the news. Just in time to see the end of the bit on Crimes of the Future. Viggo interrupted Cronenberg in his answer to a question because he knew where it was going, and he translated and finished his answer in French, all of that while wearing a Habs t-shirt under his jacket
Cool. Viggo is fluent in French. Radio Canada had a long interview with him during their coverage of Guy Lafleur's funeral. He couldn't make it because he was shooting a film, believe he said in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad