OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
The first episode of Kenobi was alright, I guess. It's definitely not going the way I expected

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Watched Everything, everywhere all at once this weekend and if this is not the best movie i'll watch this year then i'll be a very good year. Awesome movie. It's like if the 5th Element, The Matrix and Scott Pilgrim had a child.

Last edited:

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
For my money the greatest actor I have ever witnessed is the late great Robert Shaw! Captivating and took over any scene he was ever in! Passed away way too soon, however I’m sure he entertaines St. Peter everyday. Truly a great presence!

Reactions: Chili

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The first episode of Kenobi was alright, I guess. It's definitely not going the way I expected

Same here....a little slow pace but it's a 6 episode limited series, so I expect a long movie instead of a series like others. The first two was mainly to put start the story, I expect the next four to pick up a little in pace and actions.

So far it's Okay but since I'm expected one long movie, I'll wait until it end.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
In today's world of people with their brain not controlled by social medias and cell phones, it's good to know that a catastrophy didn't happened in 1964. This little 22 minutes documentary explains what happened, but everybody forgot about it. Plz take some time to watch The Bronswik Affair. And it's good to know that The Bronswik Affair is over. You might think about a lot of things about mass controlled minds.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I liked it. Better than i expected. This said when you expect less than nothing it's not hard to be better than that. I think it's miles better than the last two movies. It's not great. But it's a story arc that i'm interested to see and as long as the quality is decent i'm on board and so far it is decent.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I liked it. Better than i expected. This said when you expect less than nothing it's not hard to be better than that. I think it's miles better than the last two movies. It's not great. But it's a story arc that i'm interested to see and as long as the quality is decent i'm on board and so far it is decent.

I still haven't seen the last movie. I read the script and I've seen parts of it but I never dared to watch it. That's how bad it is. Even more after watching the Last Jedi.

This series would be great but... the Leia running scenes and the woman Inquisitor are so bad

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I still haven't seen the last movie. I read the script and I've seen parts of it but I never dared to watch it. That's how bad it is. Even more after watching the Last Jedi.

This series would be great but... the Leia running scenes and the woman Inquisitor are so bad

The last movie is i'd say signifcantrly worse than The Last Jedi. At least with The Last Jedi i can see that the director tried to make something good. He failed but he tried. With Rise of the Skywalker it's clear they did not bother. They cashed in their paycheck and delivered some uninspired crap.

I agree that the Leia running scene was bad. An adult would catch a child very fast in a forest. That was action for the sake of action and it's never a good idea. The 3rd sister Inquisitor would have been okay had they killed her in the 2nd episode. But yeah they are setting up some fight between Kenobi and her and like in episode 1 it's going to be bad. That's not what people cared about in the original 3 movies.

But overall good enough for me to keep watching (unlike Picard where i stopped after 2 episodes).

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For my money the greatest actor I have ever witnessed is the late great Robert Shaw! Captivating and took over any scene he was ever in! Passed away way too soon, however I’m sure he entertaines St. Peter everyday. Truly a great presence!
Watched The Sting last week. He was great. But his performance in Jaws is off the hook. Best monologue ever.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004

A film I would like to see again is The Luck of Ginger Coffey (filmed in Montreal and Ottawa). Mary Ure, his wife in real life, played his wife in the film.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
To me Ray Liotta will always be Shoeless Joe Jackson. He was really great in that role.
The moment that Liotta appeared as Shoeless Joe* was a pivotal moment in a pivotal film, even if the whole thing made no sense. I don't think Liotta was especially great, but his role and what it meant was great.

If you really think about it, Field of Dreams is plain silly. It has a fairy-tale premise that's fit for children, which is based on a century-old scandal from MLB that no child would understand. So why the hell does it work so well? I get the primal male need to connect through time with our dads, but framing it within a story about baseball history is a huge leap. The parts shouldn't fit together, yet the film gets to me every time.

Can you appreciate Field of Dreams if you're not a baseball fan? Do women get anything from it, or is it the male version of The Notebook? Field of Dreams is one of those rare films that can't be engineered and can probably never be re-done. It's a one-off curiosity that balances past & present with sentiment & sports.

* Shoeless Joe was an ugly mofo. Liotta looked nothing like him. Another example of how the impact of seeing Shoeless Joe Jackson relied on a knowledge of baseball but not a knowledge of the player himself. You couldn't have done that with Babe Ruth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad