OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Runner did you watch All In The Family and it's spinoffs from Norman Lear ?
I did but I don't think I've seen all the episodes. That was one groundbreaking show in its day.

There was a lot of screaming on that show, as I recall.

Gjman, what brought you back to that show -- are you watching episodes now?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I did but I don't think I've seen all the episodes. That was one groundbreaking show in its day.

There was a lot of screaming on that show, as I recall.

Gjman, what brought you back to that show -- are you watching episodes now?
Just got a streak of nostalgia in me......I enjoy stuff from the past....

What's really interesting is that Maude might even be better than All In The Family (it's debatable)....Bea Arthur's chemistry with Conrad Bain was pure awesome..........

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

What's really interesting is that Maude might even be better than All In The Family (it's debatable)....Bea Arthur's chemistry with Conrad Bain was pure awesome..........
I had a recent bout of nostalgia like that, all thanks to a suggestion by @peate. I had watched several episodes of Get Smart but never from start to finish. I finally did it and finished a few weeks ago. The show was less interesting than I thought it would be, the jokes didn't age well, the pace was slow and the same type of scenes kept being shown.

It ended after a 5th season but by that point, the show was really dragging and was terribly out of steam. Smart and 99 getting married was a bad Hail Mary and it got worse with the introduction of twins, which were then ignored or not shown for several episodes until the brutal end. I was surprised to learn that Himey the robot, had only made 6 appearances throughout the 5 years of the show. He was one of the more intriguing and well written characters -- so memorable, despite his limited contributions.

Somtimes we remember things under a much better light than they actually were. It was easily the case for me with this show.

Reactions: angusyoung

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I had a recent bout of nostalgia like that, all thanks to a suggestion by @peate. I had watched several episodes of Get Smart but never from start to finish. I finally did it and finished a few weeks ago. The show was less interesting than I thought it would be, the jokes didn't age well, the pace was slow and the same type of scenes kept being shown.

It ended after a 5th season but by that point, the show was really dragging and was terribly out of steam. Smart and 99 getting married was a bad Hail Mary and it got worse with the introduction of twins, which were then ignored or not shown for several episodes until the brutal end. I was surprised to learn that Himey the robot, had only made 6 appearances throughout the 5 years of the show. He was one of the more intriguing and well written characters -- so memorable, despite his limited contributions.

Somtimes we remember things under a much better light than they actually were. It was easily the case for me with this show.
Ok thanks for summary...I'll keep it in mind.......

Was born in 76 so i got to see some classic 80's shows on their initial run but all the other old stuff was on re-runs ...Here in Ontario MCTV had a good lineup after school and Friday's Nights i remember.....

In recent days i have done The Dick Van Dyke Show , Mary Tyler Moore Show ,and some of the Norman Lear show's i was telling you about.....All very good and once you start you can just keep binge watching them.....When it's addictive that's the sign of a good show......Dick Van Dyke show had me laughing uncontrollably a few times but Maude might be the best because of the chemistry among the ensemble......

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I greatly enjoyed more recent shows that I binged out last year — Seinfeld and The Sopranos.

But, wouldn’t mind trying another older show. I did enjoy the episodes of Dick Van Dyke and MTM that I’ve caught on and off over the years — would be nice to experience all of them in chronological order.

Maude, I never got into but based on your review, looks like it would be worth a shot. Thx for the feedback.

Reactions: Gjman2019

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I greatly enjoyed more recent shows that I binged out last year — Seinfeld and The Sopranos.

But, wouldn’t mind trying another older show. I did enjoy the episodes of Dick Van Dyke and MTM that I’ve caught on and off over the years — would be nice to experience all of them in chronological order.

Maude, I never got into but based on your review, looks like it would be worth a shot. Thx for the feedback.
Then there's the silly stuff. Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Gomer Pyle USMC, Bewitched, I dream of Jeannie, Munsters, Addams Family, Mr ED, (my dad would crack up at that horse). So much time spent watching those shows, and learning English at the same time. :laugh:

I guess Max and 99 belong in this group.

Archie Bunker vs Maude was hilarious when she made an appearance on All in the family, but I never got off on her show. Poor guy Walter. I do remember Adrienne Barbeau had a huge set. :sarcasm:

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004

All in the Family is the best ever imo.

Have you tried Mash , Barney Miller or Frasier ?

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Aller simple: 7.8/10 good mystery/murder show.

his dark materials first 2 seasons: 7.5/10 So far so good. Good adaptation form the books.

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: 7.3/10 Decent movie if you are already a fan of the Potter world.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Saw Memory last night while I was in Kingston for work, first thing, cineplex are really next level in ontario compared to the QC one.

Movie was alright, it's what I was expecting, couple good twist. More of a ''wait for netflix'' movie

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I can't watch AITF now but Maude is good,didn't see it back then though .Bea Arthur was good.

Reactions: Gjman2019

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I'm gonna sound like Pierre Mcguire,but didn't I say that? Had it's moments but once the wedding and the kids came along,game over.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Was a huge fan of Growing Pains and Family Ties growing up. Edge to Family Ties. I wonder how it ages, I might give it another shot.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Then there's the silly stuff. Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Gomer Pyle USMC, Bewitched, I dream of Jeannie, Munsters, Addams Family, Mr ED, (my dad would crack up at that horse). So much time spent watching those shows, and learning English at the same time. :laugh:

I guess Max and 99 belong in this group.

Archie Bunker vs Maude was hilarious when she made an appearance on All in the family, but I never got off on her show. Poor guy Walter. I do remember Adrienne Barbeau had a huge set. :sarcasm:
If you think Barbeau had a huge set,you should see mine:nod:

download.jpg

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
All in the Family is the best ever imo.

Have you tried Mash , Barney Miller or Frasier ?
No but i will get to Barney Miller eventually...I hear good things about that from a few people......

Three's Company was another one that had good chemistry among the cast but i wasn't a big fan of the writing.......It was too hit and miss (too many boring episodes)....It also felt too repetitive at times......Season 7 was probably the best because they had very few misses that year and the chemistry was at it's best when Don Knotts and Priscilla were there.......All just my opinion of course....Some might disagree......

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No but i will get to Barney Miller eventually...I hear good things about that from a few people......

Three's Company was another one that had good chemistry among the cast but i wasn't a big fan of the writing.......It was too hit and miss (too many boring episodes)....It also felt too repetitive at times......Season 7 was probably the best because they had very few misses that year and the chemistry was at it's best when Don Knotts and Priscilla were there.......All just my opinion of course....Some might disagree......
I had the same experience with Three’s Company — much too slow. It has its moments but not enough there for me to want to rewatch. There is better writing on other shows, as you pointed out.

Reactions: angusyoung

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I had the same experience with Three’s Company — much too slow. It has its moments but not enough there for me to want to rewatch. There is better writing on other shows, as you pointed out.
When they hit they hit big , i'll give them that but too many misses for my liking.....

Carl Reiner and his team had very few misses on the Dick Van Dyke show........That's an example of excellent writing........All a matter of opinion though......

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I really need to get into that new Dick Van Dyke shit! 😁

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Did you see the one where *spoilers*

Dick has invited his boss and he has something stuck in his throat and he saves him by passing his hand threw his throat. That was sick.
Ya it couldn't be Laura with something stuck in her throat,way too puritan for that back then,especially with a husband named Dick.o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Wasn't that a show that captured audiences by protruding areolas? charlies Angels worked better for me:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad