OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Black Panther just can't win best movie. The precedent it would leave would turn the academy into the MTV Awards.

I'd be saying the same thing if it was Infinity War, even though it's actually more diserving.

I'll be struck by disbelief if it's picked.
It is going to happen LMAO! Black Panther is a joke. Also, it’s title coins one of the most racist and violent movements in US history. What is next? I can’t wait honestly.

Reactions: overlords

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The only reason I don't find Black Panther's inclusion to be some big disgrace is because the entire year was generally awful. The Favourite and Roma are the only films on the list that feel like they belong, the rest are either typical schlock (A Star is Born), forgettable (Bohemian Rhapsody) or downright awful (Vice).

While Black Panther's nomination is 100% agenda driven (which let's be clear, the Oscars have always been), its average quality makes it a middle of the pack film among the nominees.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Black Panther just can't win best movie. The precedent it would leave would turn the academy into the MTV Awards.

I'd be saying the same thing if it was Infinity War, even though it's actually more diserving.

Was Black Panther even a good movie? I heard it was okay, but I had very little interest in seeing it. The only Marvel movies I watch are the "main" ones like Avengers or Civil War.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The only reason I don't find Black Panther's inclusion to be some big disgrace is because the entire year was generally awful. The Favourite and Roma are the only films on the list that feel like they belong, the rest are either typical schlock (A Star is Born), forgettable (Bohemian Rhapsody) or downright awful (Vice).

While Black Panther's nomination is 100% agenda driven (which let's be clear, the Oscars have always been), its average quality makes it a middle of the pack film among the nominees.

Yea that's like recently I learned that Shape of Water won best Picture last year and i was shocked cause I didn't think much of the movie and it was a genre movie to boot. But then I looked at the films of 2017 and it was a lousy line up, nothing really stood out.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I have Bohemian Rhapsody but haven't watched it yet, same with ASIB. Not a very impressive list of nominees.

GO GAGA GO

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I have Bohemian Rhapsody but haven't watched it yet, same with ASIB. Not a very impressive list of nominees.

GO GAGA GO
I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was an entertaining movie, but I never thought it'd be good enough to get a Best Picture nomination when I watched it.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

GO GAGA GO

For the sake of transparency, I have developed something of an allergic reaction towards music-centric films, especially the biopics. You'll probably like them more than I do.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Was Black Panther even a good movie? I heard it was okay, but I had very little interest in seeing it. The only Marvel movies I watch are the "main" ones like Avengers or Civil War.
It was pretty bad. Full on cringey moment and the good ol' brother vs brother revenge story. Hero at his height to hero defeated to hero regaining his glory in the last part of the movie. It was terrible.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Cate Blanchett is hot in every role.

I feel like most people never consider her as a big actress because she's always a supporting or secondary role but she's one of my favourites and she has been in some good movies

LoTR
Aviator
Babel
Thor Ragnarok
How to train your dragon

watching-recommendation-slide-2MYF-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
For the sake of transparency, I have developed something of an allergic reaction towards music-centric films, especially the biopics. You'll probably like them more than I do.

It's usually the same movie over and over. Even the Doors while enjoyable and Oliver Stone is one of my favorite filmmakers, it was rather shallow and you didn't learn much from Morrison.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
OK, what was that cowboy song? Must have been a shitty year for movie music. Pretty sure Glen Campbell flipped in his grave.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watching Into the Spider-verse for the second time.

I know they're nominated for best animated, still, it's such a artful movie, why not put that instead of BP.

I've never seen such beautiful animated movie. The mix of styles and techniques is just amazing.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

Be prepared. It’s gonna happen for political reasons
It wasn’t even a good movie!
IW and ragnarok are 10x better
Hell I enjoyed Wonder Woman and aqua man more as comic adaptations

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I am not one for award shows so I watched the True Detective finale. Wrapped up nicely imo. There’s a scene at the end that is bothering me because it neither denies nor confirms a theory.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

While I like comic book movies, BP shouldn’t be in there. The awards they are winning now is fine, but best picture? I don’t think so...

Honestly, just my opinion, but Winter Soldier was a superior movie and it wasn’t even close to being on the Oscars’ radar. As for comic movies in general, Dark Knight trilogy and Logan were superior films as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad