Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
which makes no sense. I mean what happened today to make anyone mad? AA to Dodgers, some meaningless trade?

AA wasn't coming back so who cares where he goes, why get made at some meaningless trade? I really don't get people sometimes.

Because it's not Alex, and it's not a big name acquisition.

I care where Alex goes because I like Alex and am interested to see his role and will probably pay extra attention to the Dodgers with him there.

People complained when Alex picked up Coke for nothing. They complained when he picked up Joba for nothing. They complain because it is not the big name they want and can't see that it is possible to have multiple irons in the fire. People in general terms, can't see the big picture and are pretty stupid.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
AA may be the first person to leave a GM position willingly to go take a lower position elsewhere.

Maybe he followed the money.

Completely emptied our farm system, and followed the money afterwards.

But damnit, at least he had the balls to make the big moves that needed to be done. Maybe it was because he knew he was leaving.

Or he figured that he had nothing to lose, that his job might be in jeopardy if the Jays didn't make tangible gains in their on-field results. It's easy to "have balls" if you figure that you you're in a no-lose situation (the moves work and the team succeeds and you look like a genius. Or the moves fail, you get canned, and the next guy has to be the one to deal with the fallout of dealing away so many significant prospects for high-priced veterans or rentals)

Good job Atkins diet.... you acquired a pitcher that was designated for assignment from the A's out of all people. The place that makes garbage pitchers into something!!!

Way to go....what a GM. LMAO

These sorts of moves happen all the time. In the last few weeks half the league has claimed players on waivers. Pittsburgh, the Dodgers, also traded futures/cash for a DFA'd player. Cleveland traded futures for a non-DFA'd player too. Hell, the Cubs' waiver claim last week was a guy that Baltimore had claimed not 2 weeks prior (from the Cubs, no less).

A move like this speaks nothing of the A's turning nothing into something, nor does it mean anything in the grand scheme of things for the Blue Jays. Moves like this happen on an almost daily basis around the league, you just never notice because they don't involve the Blue Jays. Or you might not notice even when they do involve the Blue Jays. Last year alone the Jays sent Matt West to the Dodgers, Jayson Acquino to the Pirates, Ronald Torreyes to the Dodgers, and Andy Wilkins to the Dodgers all for futures/cash. Where was all the love for the Jays turning "garbage into something"?

Not every deal a team makes is going to be a big one. And just because a team makes small moves like this doesn't preclude anything else. These are just the sort of depth/housekeeping moves that happen and wouldn't have been noticed before twitter breaking news every time someone in an MLB org sneezes became a thing. And even still they're the kind of thing you never notice if you're not plugged deeply into a team.

In 2015 alone the Royals made 3 deals for futures/cash, dumping Joe Blanton and Francisco Pena and acquiring Johnny Gomes. I guess they weren't trying to win either given that they were wasting time making nickel & dime moves like that? The Mets made a pair of moves like that too (Eric Young for cash, Eric O'Flaherty and cash for a PTBNL).

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
but Cecil wasn't good. Everyone knew he wasn't good. I mean I could go back to the GDT's and find all kind of quotes back from May when Cecil was the closer to show just what everyone thought of Brett Cecil :laugh:

what have you done for me lately.

can we just DFA cecil? I wouldn't even care

I'd love to see Cecil's name and "DFA" in the same sentence.

I'll leave the names out because I'm not trying to single anyone out, just to point out how hilarious the overreactions can be sometimes. Conveniently, these posts were both from June 21, when Cecil allowed four runs in less than an inning.

Those were the last runs he allowed all season.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'll leave the names out because I'm not trying to single anyone out, just to point out how hilarious the overreactions can be sometimes. Conveniently, these posts were both from June 21, when Cecil allowed four runs in less than an inning.

I want to know who those whimsical strangers are.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I can see why people care about Alex, and care where he goes, but the time to be mad about it was 2 months ago when he left. There's nothing left to be mad about.

Nobody was angry yesterday when no big moves happened, I don't understand how a little move would elicit anger when nothing happening for 2 weeks elicits nothing. I mean I get people want something to happen, but timing complaints when something minor happens makes no sense, moves like this happen all the time, and are essential to depth. It's befuddling.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I'll admit I made a few posts that I'd probably laugh at right now but nothing like DFA or anything like that. I probably said things like "oh Cecil in, guess we want to walk the bases loaded for no reason", "can we take Cecil out of the game" after 2 balls.

He was bad for 2 weeks and it elicited situational frustration, anyone calling for DFA was far overreacting.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Chris Colabello and Justin Smoak were claimed off waivers last winter...

Liam Hendriks was claimed off waivers the first time...then acquired for Santiago Nessy the second time...then traded for Jesse Chavez...who was once claimed off waivers...by the Blue Jays in 2011

Jose Bautista was acquired for Robinzon Diaz.

People are stupid, throw rocks at them.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

"Cecil will not be DFA'ed." There, both are in the same sentence.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
*GM gets depth, complaining happens about rotation*

"But Hutch is bad so he doesn't count"

*into the future sometime Hutch gets hurt*

"Hutch is awesome, look at his record last year, how will we ever replace him, I blame the GM for not getting any depth"

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The best part about this post is that I'm pretty sure you said the exact same this when it was initially posted. :laugh:

I know I did. I remember the time when Cecil was an enemy to the people very fondly. :laugh:

"Hutch is awesome, look at his record last year, how will we ever replace him, I blame the GM for not getting any depth"

Depth? Depth!? Jays should have dealt Stroman++++ for Sale and brought back Wang as #5.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

For a lot of people, the only appropriate reaction to any news is whatever stance is the most negative.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
"Tulo is a bum" was the one that had me :laugh:.

"Price sucks in the postseason, can't believe we traded for this guy"

"why did we not sign David Price, this staff doesn't want to win might as well tear it down"

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yup

'David Price can't win in the playoffs'
'How are we going to win in the playoffs without David Price'

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
which makes no sense. I mean what happened today to make anyone mad? AA to Dodgers, some meaningless trade?

AA wasn't coming back so who cares where he goes, why get made at some meaningless trade? I really don't get people sometimes.

If anything, its good that he's not in the AL anymore AND the thing to complain about the trade is because of what happened at the 2013 WBC :laugh:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Keep bringing in fringe starters who have 90+ juice and hope that a switch to the pen can give them a tick in velocity and stuff.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hate to complain about waiver pick ups but they've been an especially uninteresting group of pickups so far this year. no guys like cola or hendriks or hynes with great AAA numbers to pique interest.

LaCarriere

The two relate smart man because these nothing deals being reported are not going with what we have and what we should build on. We need to add to our potent lineup before its too late.

We have not gotten better since the last out of the ALCS. No matter what anyone says we haven't. Happ and Chavez do not make us better.

We lost a number one pitcher, a serviceable backup catcher and hitter off the bench, 2 relievers, and our number 3 starter from last season in Buerhle.

We replaced them with what??? Chavez and Happ. Awesome.

You need to pull your head out of the sand and stop thinking negatively. This team is never going to spend 200M so stop. It's not going to spend 175M in the foreseeable future. This team has all tools to get back into the playoffs, and that's all you need to do, because it's a complete roll of the dice after that.

Lost - Price (1/3 season), Buehrle. Lesser losses in a backup catcher, a bench player and 2 relievers.

Added - Stroman (full season), Tulo (1/3 season to full season), Revere (1/3 season to full season) Happ, Chavez

They have the potential to be even better than a 93 win team since they have Stroman for a full season who you can look at replacing the 1/3 season of Price (slight downgrade but not huge), and they have Tulo for a full season instead of 1/3. They have Revere for a full season instead of 1/3.

As for pitching, Stroman / Dickey / Estrada / Happ / Chavez-Hutch compared to what they had going into last season is an upgrade.

The only place they are arguably weaker heading into this season is the bullpen, and I don't know what your calendar says, but mine says January 5th. April isn't here yet bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad