Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I'm really liking our late inning trio of Osuna, Storen, and Cecil going into spring training. It's no Aroldis, Miller, and Betances but still great nonetheless.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If the Jays could find a way to sign Yovani Gallarado, my confidence goes through the roof. One pitcher would allow every one to slide down a peg in the rotation; and then suddenly Sanchez in the bullpen is a lock. Or you could even try out Sanchez as a starter and trade Dickey for a reliever when everyone's of the market and pitching becomes even more valuable. Stroman slides in nice as a #2. Estrada would be a great 3 and Happ would do well as a #4.

Gallarado
Estrada
Stroman
Happ
Sanchez/Chavez

bullpen

CL Storen
SU - Cecil
SU - Osuna
MR (traded reliever from Dickey)
MR - Loup
MR - Shultz/Tepera/Delebar etc
LP - Chavez

top 5 offence
top 10 pitching

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If the Jays could find a way to sign Yovani Gallarado, my confidence goes through the roof. One pitcher would allow every one to slide down a peg in the rotation; and then suddenly Sanchez in the bullpen is a lock. Or you could even try out Sanchez as a starter and trade Dickey for a reliever when everyone's of the market and pitching becomes even more valuable. Stroman slides in nice as a #2. Estrada would be a great 3 and Happ would do well as a #4.

Gallarado
Estrada
Stroman
Happ
Sanchez/Chavez

bullpen

CL Storen
SU - Cecil
SU - Osuna
MR - Loup
LP - Chavez

top 5 offence
top 10 pitching

Gallardo* is not a #1, or better than Stroman, and he has a comp pick attached to him.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario

Gallarado
Estrada
Stroman
Happ
Sanchez/Chavez

bullpen

CL Storen
SU - Cecil
SU - Osuna
MR - Loup
LP - Chavez

top 5 offence
top 10 pitching

1. Do you really have Gallardo over Stro :laugh::laugh:
2. Top 5 offence???????????? This offence will blow any other team out of the water as long as injuries and serious declines in performance don't occur.
3. You are forgetting the top 5 defense

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Gallarado
Estrada
Stroman
Happ
Sanchez/Chavez

bullpen

CL Storen
SU - Cecil
SU - Osuna
MR - Loup
LP - Chavez

top 5 offence
top 10 pitching

And whom would that pitcher be....because, surely, he is not listed here.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
In my opinion Gallardo would do well in the dome with his ground ball ratio. Stroman is better (obviously) but Gallarado would be a default #1. Not a true #1 obviously. I don't think we believe Drew Hutchison was a number 1...

As for our offence; I think we will be top 5. It's not set in stone we will blow everyone away next season. It's not like we can predict all 3 of Donaldson, Bautista, And Edwin will be healthy all year. I'm being safe by saying top 5. You never know. Tulo and Bautista could get injured a month into the season.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins guests on Brady & Walker to explain his rationale for trading outfielder Ben Revere to the Washington Nationals in return for relief pitcher Drew Storen, what this means for the lead-off role in the batting lineup, the makeup of the bullpen and the starting rotation, how his planning evolves given the changing nature of the game, laying out the future of Edwin Encarnacion & Jose Bautista with the club, and on his first few weeks on the job.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-4/Ross-Atkins-with-Andrew-Walker-bw-20160111-Interview.mp3

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In my opinion Gallardo would do well in the dome with his ground ball ratio. Stroman is better (obviously) but Gallarado would be a default #1. Not a true #1 obviously. I don't think we believe Drew Hutchison was a number 1...

As for our offence; I think we will be top 5. It's not set in stone we will blow everyone away next season. It's not like we can predict all 3 of Donaldson, Bautista, And Edwin will be healthy all year. I'm being safe by saying top 5. You never know. Tulo and Bautista could get injured a month into the season.

I think we all remember why Hutch was the opening day starter last year.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Signing Gallardo would be a huge mistake.

Not if it means we can turn around and trade Dickey for a useful piece elsewhere and free up the 25th spot on the roster for a real catcher. By useful I am thinking I like the idea of Melancon to then push Osuna and Sanchez closer to the rotation.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Not if it means we can turn around and trade Dickey for a useful piece elsewhere and free up the 25th spot on the roster for a real catcher. By useful I am thinking I like the idea of Melancon to then push Osuna and Sanchez closer to the rotation.
Dickey has pitched an average of 219 innings for 5 consecutive seasons while putting up an ERA of 3.57 during that span. Gallardo has pitched an average of 194 innings with a 3.66 ERA in that same span, and his last 200 inning season came in 2012. Considering that fact that no one else in the Blue Jays rotation as it stands now has ever pitched 200 innings, trading our only 200 inning guy would be putting way too much faith in our relievers and would be incredibly risky.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I got a migraine from reading the first paragraph of this post.

mikebel111*

Dickey has pitched an average of 219 innings for 5 consecutive seasons while putting up an ERA of 3.57 during that span. Gallardo has pitched an average of 194 innings with a 3.66 ERA in that same span, and his last 200 inning season came in 2012. Considering that fact that no one else in the Blue Jays rotation as it stands now has ever pitched 200 innings, trading our only 200 inning guy would be putting way too much faith in our relievers and would be incredibly risky.

I would deal Dickey based on the return, but Dickey is getting a little underrated over here

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Pittsburgh's management is too intelligent for that (even considering Melancon's decline). I like the cut of your jib, though.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

What "real catcher"?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Anything wrong with Matt Latos? Probably a cheap one year deal with a lot of upside as a SP. Could trade Dickey, sign him for a fraction of the price, and let him play into a good contract next year.

Of course, coming to a hitter's park is not the best way to recoup value. But he has opportunities on a good team here as well.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Anything wrong with Matt Latos? Probably a cheap one year deal with a lot of upside as a SP. Could trade Dickey, sign him for a fraction of the price, and let him play into a good contract next year.

Of course, coming to a hitter's park is not the best way to recoup value. But he has opportunities on a good team here as well.

Besides the fact that by all accounts he's a huge ******?

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario

What happens when he bombs and you have to find a way to eat up 200 innings? What are you planning on doing with that extra money? This makes no sense.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

He's played for 4 teams in the last 2 years because he's apparently toxic enough that nobody wants to hang onto him. And that's on top of not pitching all that well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You seriously just posted this Joe?

How is this adding value?

He's criticizing the logic of said paragraph. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that he takes issue with the assertion that Gallardo would slot ahead of Stroman and be more of a "#1" when the last time Gallardo had a season that came anywhere close to resembling what Stroman has done in his career so far was 2011. It's also worth noting that Stroman is more of a GB pitcher than Gallardo is.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Pittsburgh's management is too intelligent for that (even considering Melancon's decline). I like the cut of your jib, though.

Whats a Jib?

lol, seriously though (anybody know anything about any launch coooooodes) I am happy with any good potentially great relief pitcher with little control for Dickey. It gives us the opportunity to get Sanchez and Osuna in the rotation where they belong (Sanchez less so) and put us on path to transition to a cheap rotation which could help us fit Jose, Donaldson and Edwin together for a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad