Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Storen, Osuna and Cecil is a pretty good back of the pen. Probably not top 10. Probably not bottom 10. We fall someone in the middle with both our rotation and bullpen with the potential to be better... and with our offence it could be enough.

# 1 or 2 in offence with the 11th or 12h best ERA gives you a solid chance to be in playoffs again in my opinion.

Would really love another guy. I'm being greedy i'm just in such awe with that yankee and KC bullpen.

Our BP definately stacks up to other top pens in the league. It is top 5. Cecil, Sanchez, Storen and Osuna as the late inning guys is as good as it gets. Loup is a very good MR pitcher who was just cursed last season. Chavez is solid rotation depth and a good long man. Only improvment that could be made is that last MR spot that would probably be Delabar/Biagini.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
IF Pompey doesn't win the starting LF job in Sprig training, whose our leadoff hitter?

I kind of like the idea of trying Saunders in leadoff. He's a good hitter, controls the bat with good contact. Also he has sneaky speed.

IF healthy (and that's a big IF) I could see him as a 15 HR-15 SB guy.

Wouldn't mind seeing Travis back in leadoff, but his return timeline keeps getting pushed back, from what I read. First saw mid/late April, then May, and today I read June! Hope he returns fully healthy sooner then later.

Don't think I want to see Pillar hitting leadoff. His contact rate seems low.
Goins at top of the lineup would be asking a lot.

They tried Tulo, that failed rather miserably. Please don't go down that road again!!

All in all, I like this trade a lot. Like many here have said already, we trade our most expensive option in a logged-jammed LF for another needed elite bullpen arm.
Storen is a stud. High 90's fastball with a lethal slider, that at times looks unhittable.
Also gives us lots of options to stretch out either Sanchez or Osuna and/or to trade a SP like Dickey.

Will be fun to watch if another move follows. Spring training can't come soon enough!

They could very well just move everyone up one position and have JD lead off. I guess Saunders could be an option. Pompey seems destined for the 9 hole. Less pressure, good base runner infront of the big bats.

I don't really want to re-visit this discussion again, but Tulo had slightly better numbers hitting 1st (.698ops) than 5th (.613ops).

Either way I don't care all that much who among this group leads off. It's Travis when he returns. Just glad we shored up the pen.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Meh trade for me. We give up 2 years of club control for one. A pretty effective everyday player for a ticking time bomb in the bullpen. The love affection for Pompey on here is out of control. Pretty useless with the bat. It must be because he's from Toronto.

This team has defiantly downgraded from the end of last year, disappointing.

Or maybe it's because Pompey is young and has shown the ability to hit at every level of the minors (at a relatively young age). He's been a well regarded prospect in baseball circles and it has nothing to do with his passport. I swear some people think if a young player doesn't come up and have immediate success they are considered a failure. There are countless examples on this current jays team, and in jays history, as to why you never come to such a quick conclusion.

Pompey's potential is much higher than Revere even if he never hits for the same average. Pompey has the potential to be a 3+ WAR player as soon as next season even if his OPS hovers around 700. Ender Inciarte had a 4 WAR season as a 23rd old and his OPS was 677. Pompey and his "Useless bat" have a 685 OPS through 150 ABs as a 21/22 yr old.

The team that starts this season will be much better than the team that started last season. This is easily one of the top defenses in baseball which I swear gets lost on people. Average rotation, good bullpen, great defense....recipe worked for the Royals and it can work for the jays. Jays still have the ability to add pieces at the deadline...so I doubt the roster opening day is the same as in August/September/October.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I really liked Revere. But i really like this trade. Pompey steals 2nd and 3rd with ease. His D is on par or better than Revere. If Pompey can get his bat going a bit, I'll take a .270 avg with pop over .300 and 1 homer. Jays are a better team with Pompey leading off and Storen in the pen. Shapiro earns a little respect with this one.

pompey's D is far, far, far, far, far, far better than Revere's.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
WAR = average of ra9war and fipwar

Last 2yrs (all stats as RP)

Cecil (29): 107.2ip, 65era-, 59fip-, 63xfip-, 1.5war/65ip
Storen (28): 111.1ip, 59era-, 73fip-, 88xfip-, 1.5war/65ip
Sanchez (23): 59.1ip, 42era-, 71fip-, 81xfip-, 1.7war/65ip
Osuna (21): 69.2ip, 63era-, 73fip-, 85xfip-, 1.5war/65ip

that is a pretty sweet back of the pen.

WAR = average of fwar and bwar

last 2yrs

Bautista (35): 1339pa, 154wrc+, 5.3war/650pa
Pillar (27): 750pa, 93wrc+, 4.8war/650pa
Saunders (29): 299pa, 117wrc+, 4.6war/650pa
Pompey (23): 146pa, 88wrc+, 2.5war/650pa
Revere (28): 1260pa, 95wrc+, 1.9war/650pa

and then there's Carrera and Lake as depth.

made no sense to waste money on revere or block pompey when that had a very good chance of literally making us a worse team. meanwhile Storen is a legit frontline upgrade to the pen.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
[/B]

How has the issue been rectified? Have Saunders or Pompey been in some secret league tearing the cover off the ball? Or are you basing this on past statistics. If thats the case, the issue has not been rectified and id say there's a better chance we'd be dealing with a struggling Pompey after a fragile Saunders gets hurt.

Do Saunders or Pompey have to "tear the cover off the ball" to be an upgrade on Revere? I really don't think you need much more than a 700 OPS from either one for them to be an upgrade in overall value.

I don't think Saunders is the answer given his fragile nature but Pompey has all the tools to be a very good LF (or even CF) for the jays as soon as this year.

Worst case Ontario we pick up a LFer at the deadline for a couple meh prospects like we did to get Revere in the first place.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Stick a good fastball hitter at leadoff and they will have success in this lineup. Most pitchers aren't going to mess around with off speed stuff to the lead off hitter knowing death row awaits them.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
WAR = average of ra9war and fipwar

Last 2yrs (all stats as RP)

Cecil (29): 107.2ip, 65era-, 59fip-, 63xfip-, 1.5war/65ip
Storen (28): 111.1ip, 59era-, 73fip-, 88xfip-, 1.5war/65ip
Sanchez (23): 59.1ip, 42era-, 71fip-, 81xfip-, 1.7war/65ip
Osuna (21): 69.2ip, 63era-, 73fip-, 85xfip-, 1.5war/65ip

that is a pretty sweet back of the pen.

WAR = average of fwar and bwar

last 2yrs

Bautista (35): 1339pa, 154wrc+, 5.3war/650pa
Pillar (27): 750pa, 93wrc+, 4.8war/650pa
Saunders (29): 299pa, 117wrc+, 4.6war/650pa
Pompey (23): 146pa, 88wrc+, 2.5war/650pa
Revere (28): 1260pa, 95wrc+, 1.9war/650pa

and then there's Carrera and Lake as depth.

made no sense to waste money on revere or block pompey when that had a very good chance of literally making us a worse team. meanwhile Storen is a legit frontline upgrade to the pen.

Forgetting Loup. They're now five deep at the back end with sub-3 SIERA relievers.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
I love the trade. I think it's exactly what we needed. But the hate people had for Revere is very odd. He was one of our best hitters down the stretch. He was a very good leadoff man for us. The best we've had in a long long time. Not everyone needs to hit dingers. We had previous years of home run happy teams that didn't get us anywhere because we were incapable of doing anything else. The ability to hit #singles is underrated by too many people.

Again, I loved the trade, but Revere was a very good player. Pompey has big shoes to fill. Many top prospects fail. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think the plan of action, assuming they get rid of Dickey, is to have Sanchez in the rotation, Chavez as the long man. Then when the innings limit is almost reached for Aaron (assuming there is one), switch the two.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I love the trade. I think it's exactly what we needed. But the hate people had for Revere is very odd. He was one of our best hitters down the stretch. He was a very good leadoff man for us. The best we've had in a long long time. Not everyone needs to hit dingers. We had previous years of home run happy teams that didn't get us anywhere because we were incapable of doing anything else. The ability to hit #singles is underrated by too many people.

Again, I loved the trade, but Revere was a very good player. Pompey has big shoes to fill. Many top prospects fail. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

No one hated Ben Revere; at least not in here. Some simply recognized him for what he was: one and a half tools of baseball goodness.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I think the plan of action, assuming they get rid of Dickey, is to have Sanchez in the rotation, Chavez as the long man. Then when the innings limit is almost reached for Aaron (assuming there is one), switch the two.

If that's the case, then it's a poor strategy. Jesse Chavez has the tendency to wear down as a season progresses, while Sanchez has consistently been a slow starter as a professional.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Thank god Revere is gone, never thought the Jays would get Storen for him though, so I'm extremely happy. That bullpen is looking rather nice. Surprised people say Revere has good defense, his arm is miserable, and he has a habit of taking terrible routes. Don't get me started on his offense. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad