Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
after losing span I was thinking they might like revere. for storen I'm suprised

Nats fans were ready to run storen out of town unfortunately. Two blown post seasons series and quitting on the team last year was last straw. They've been trying to trade him for months.

Storen should excel in Toronto but they needed to get him out of dc asap after he went to the media demanding a trade right after the pap trade and then stunk up the joint

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The trades alright, but I really can't believe how harsh some of the fans have been on Revere. Pompey would have to fulfill his full potential to bring what Revere has. Huge wild card at this point. Revere's bat and speed are upper echelon. His arm was ****, but that's not a huge concern at LF.

Seems like we're at a point where everybody thinks that a BB > hit. It's stupid.

If Pompey was the only option in LF, I don't think this trade happens. Saunders is going to be the projected starting LF, and Pompey will be the backup LF/4th OF.

From an offensive standpoint, with Travis and Saunders available, our lineup should be just as good, if not better than it was down the stretch last season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The trades alright, but I really can't believe how harsh some of the fans have been on Revere. Pompey would have to fulfill his full potential to bring what Revere has. Huge wild card at this point. Revere's bat and speed are upper echelon. His arm was ****, but that's not a huge concern at LF.

Seems like we're at a point where everybody thinks that a BB > hit. It's stupid.

No, people just think walks, power, and defense matter. Acknowledging deficiencies and questioning overall value isn't the same as bashing

If Pompey fulfills his potential, he'll be miles better than Revere.

I'll stick with a prediction I made earlier in the offseason that was based on one of the two being traded: Dalton Pompey will have a higher wRC+ and fWAR than Revere in 2016.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

We're not hard on Revere, he's just overpaid for what he brings. It made sense to reallocate his salary to an area of need when you have Pompey and Saunders who could replicate his production. Pompey in a similar manner, slightly less bat(based entirely on average, elsewhere Pompey is better with the bat), better defense. Unless you're willing to go "advanced stats, terrible made up numbers by some nerd with a spreadsheet" then Pompey brings similar production to Revere already.

Pompey has a career 88 wRC+, Revere's is 87. Now Revere was 98 last year, so Pompey would have to improve but much of Pompey's numbers were from a horrible slump to begin last year so one would expect it to get better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
revere is fine. but both pompey and saunders project to be better, and cheaper. made no sense to keep him.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Nats fans were ready to run storen out of town unfortunately. Two blown post seasons series and quitting on the team last year was last straw. They've been trying to trade him for months.

Storen should excel in Toronto but they needed to get him out of dc asap after he went to the media demanding a trade right after the pap trade and then stunk up the joint

I'm not suprised they traded storen .but I'm suprised they traded him for revere
the bullpen takes a big hit

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
does AA make this deal?

I would think so. I have a hard time any GM in the Jays position wouldn't make this deal. It makes way too much sense. Abundance of similar outfielders, need in the pen. Trading the most expensive outfielder option for a pen pitcher is duh, the fact that you could get Sttoren makes it even more duh.

Actually I may need to claify. Every GM outside of Dave Stewart and the former GM Amaro because hey look hitz!

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Question, Nats pay the Jays cash to even up the salaries, but they're not set yet. What happens if the Jays someone manage to talk their way into having Storen have a lower salary than Revere? Do the Jays then pay the Nats to even up salary, or does it become, oh it's in the Jays favour so nobody pays anyone anything anymore

I wouldn't be surprised if the PTBNL has something to do with this, where there are different players the Nats get depending on the difference they have to pay.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
I'm not suprised they traded storen .but I'm suprised they traded him for revere

Oh haha that i agree with. But the fact that the it took this long to trade him and how fast it came together it makes it sound like nats took the first deal and ran

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
I would think so. I have a hard time any GM in the Jays position wouldn't make this deal. It makes way too much sense. Abundance of similar outfielders, need in the pen. Trading the most expensive outfielder option for a pen pitcher is duh, the fact that you could get Sttoren makes it even more duh.

Actually I may need to claify. Every GM outside of Dave Stewart and the former GM Amaro because hey look hitz!

it makes sense except....actually AA did trade guys he previous traded for nm lol

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if the PTBNL has something to do with this, where there are different players the Nats get depending on the difference they have to pay.

But it could also be someone from the last draft. I believe they have to wait six months before trading a player from the last draft.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
But it could also be someone from the last draft. I believe they have to wait six months before trading a player from the last draft.

they fixed that because of the Trea Turner fiasco.

It used to be a year you had to wait, but 6 months after you could PTBNL and then 6 months later the player had to be named(6+6 to make up the full year). So it was a work around, but they done away with it. The 1st overall pick from the last draft was already traded.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Not anymore. They changed that after the Trea Turner situation

they fixed that because of the Trea Turner fiasco.

It used to be a year you had to wait, but 6 months after you could PTBNL and then 6 months later the player had to be named(6+6 to make up the full year). So it was a work around, but they done away with it. The 1st overall pick from the last draft was already traded.

I remember the Turner trade creating or bringing light to the issue but didn't remember hearing anything about it being removed all together.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
just remember this guy was lights out until he felt betrayed by the nats, he was a light out closer, who at the time of the trade has some very nice numbers. you cant blame him for being upset they uprooted him for pap. I do wonder however if this will give us the opportunity to stretch out osuna/sanchez. cause you got to believe storen will still want to close, rather then be a set up man. I do see one of them atleast tried in the rotation.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
just remember this guy was lights out until he felt betrayed by the nats, he was a light out closer, who at the time of the trade has some very nice numbers. you cant blame him for being upset they uprooted him for pap. I do wonder however if this will give us the opportunity to stretch out osuna/sanchez. cause you got to believe storen will still want to close, rather then be a set up man. I do see one of them atleast tried in the rotation.

Even if Osuna and Sanchez are in the pen, I say give the closer job to Storen. That frees up Osuna and Cecil for the highest leverage situations, and it could save them millions of dollars when Osuna and Sanchez get to arbitration by keeping their save totals down.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I like the move, but I will remember revere for coming in and completely changing the dynamic of the lineup with his speed and stellar contact. Added a flourish we appear to now be lacking and hit near .300.

A huge loss to the lineup IMO, but I truly understand the need for a big relief arm.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I like the move, but I will remember revere for coming in and completely changing the dynamic of the lineup with his speed and stellar contact. Added a flourish we appear to now be lacking and hit near .300.

A huge loss to the lineup IMO, but I truly understand the need for a big relief arm.

I don't think the lineup will really take a hit at all. But I'll definitely have fond memories of his short stay in Toronto... played really well and filled a hole that desperately needed filling, and he was really fun to watch and seems like a great guy.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think the lineup will really take a hit at all. But I'll definitely have fond memories of his short stay in Toronto... played really well and filled a hole that desperately needed filling, and he was really fun to watch and seems like a great guy.

Hopefully the lineup chugs along. I think it's a stretch to think Saunders can come in and be as effective and I hated Tulo in the leadoff spot, but there will be options when Travis comes back I guess.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Hopefully the lineup chugs along. I think it's a stretch to think Saunders can come in and be as effective and I hated Tulo in the leadoff spot, but there will be options when Travis comes back I guess.

I dont know who'll end up in the leadoff spot (or, I guess, who'll hold down the fort until Travis is back), but Saunders has a better track record as a hitter than Revere. The injuries are a concern, for sure, but Pompey is there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad