Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well, I've been preaching the need to move Revere for a BP arm months ago, so I'm pretty happy we've done it. Really glad that the importance of a strong pen is not lost on Shapiro.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
i see people on twitter saying revere brought elite D #lol

great trade now hopefully they move dickey. we have a great group of relievers

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Nats fans were ready to run storen out of town unfortunately. Two blown post seasons series and quitting on the team last year was last straw. They've been trying to trade him for months.

Storen should excel in Toronto but they needed to get him out of dc asap after he went to the media demanding a trade right after the pap trade and then stunk up the joint

I hope you're correct on this point. The team under AA had changed to a team built on character. Those who thought they were above the team, were identified before, or once they got here and shipped out. Arencibia and Reyes come to mind. I hope Storen excels in Toronto. I liked what Revere brought, I guess we'll see how much this impacts us as the year unfolds.

Im putting my hope in Pompey reaching his projected potential, because Saunders gets injured just seeing his name on the lineup card, let alone actually playing.

does AA make this deal?

I dont think so. Revere was an AA type guy, good in the clubhouse, performed on the field and was the ultimate team guy.

Maybe Im overreacting to Storen throwing a fit over Papelbon, but it doesnt seem like the type of character AA would add, regarldess of talent.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
AA had added all types of rejects over the years. Only this past year did he start to say he needed to get those type of guys out of the clubhouse.

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2015/03/have-blue-jays-actually-fixed-their.html

I think you're overreacting to Storen baggage tbh. He was pitching well and then Washington went out to get someone to replace his role with someone who was expensive and who was worse at it. I'd be upset too. It was a slap in the face as if he wasn't doing good enough when he was.

This seems like the exact type of trade AA would do. Excess of a position traded for need. He's a smart guy. I believe the plan was always to trade Revere in the offseason. They only acquired him because Saunders got hurt and Pompey struggled and had to be sent down so they had no left fielder. I believe that issue has been rectified.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
AA had added all types of rejects over the years. Only this past year did he start to say he needed to get those type of guys out of the clubhouse.

I think you're overreacting to Storen baggage tbh. He was pitching well and then Washington went out to get someone to replace his role with someone who was expensive and who was worse at it. I'd be upset too. It was a slap in the face as if he wasn't doing good enough when he was.

This seems like the exact type of trade AA would do. Excess of a position traded for need. He's a smart guy. I believe the plan was always to trade Revere in the offseason. They only acquired him because Saunders got hurt and Pompey struggled and had to be sent down so they had no left fielder. I believe that issue has been rectified.

Storen, Osuna and Cecil is a pretty good back of the pen. Probably not top 10. Probably not bottom 10. We fall someone in the middle with both our rotation and bullpen with the potential to be better... and with our offence it could be enough.

# 1 or 2 in offence with the 11th or 12h best ERA gives you a solid chance to be in playoffs again in my opinion.

Would really love another guy. I'm being greedy i'm just in such awe with that yankee and KC bullpen.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Jays should offer Storen a 5 year deal worth 50 million. Broke down like the following: 48 million the first year, then 0.5 for the last 4.

I mean Washington is paying the difference in salaries no? Might as well sign him long term for a fair deal with all the money in the first year so Washington can pay it :sarcasm:

I assume there would be a limit on that, or like someone else said if it's a big difference the PTBNL is a better prospect

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
But make sure you do that after Washington reaches an agreement with Revere, otherwise they do the same thing and we both get screwed over :sarcasm:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Great trade.

Even though I was somewhat hard on Revere, he generally was effective in his time with the Jays fwiw and definitely had his moments. Good luck to him.

Still, though, does this mean we now will have someone who can actually throw in left field?! :naughty:

Love reading people's comments on Facebook about this trade:

"Wow. Considering that Ben Revere practically helped will the Jays into the playoffs, this has to be the stupidest trade in Canadian sports history since Gretzky was traded to Los Angeles."
:laugh:

Honestly, some of the casuals are downright embarrassing. Also, read how we'll miss his D and how he was the best "pure" hitter on the team. #Singlez :biglaugh:

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I really liked Revere. But i really like this trade. Pompey steals 2nd and 3rd with ease. His D is on par or better than Revere. If Pompey can get his bat going a bit, I'll take a .270 avg with pop over .300 and 1 homer. Jays are a better team with Pompey leading off and Storen in the pen. Shapiro earns a little respect with this one.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I liked Revere but I guess you gotta trade something of value to get something of value
And yeah I don't think anyone can rely on Saunders being the guy. He's the Lupul of the Jays

I'm rooting for Pompey

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's a great trade. Cecil/Storen/Osuna is pretty close to automatic. Sanchez kind of worried me in high leverage situations, he seemed to come undone if there were men on base.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Realistically what can dickey get if he is traded? Davis how much is he looking for a year? And we do need a backup catcher if dickey is traded, does a backup catcher from the other team come back?

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Wow, i'm late to the party. But very solid trade for us. Fills a need with a surplus. Good job Shapiro/Atkins.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I like the move, but I will remember revere for coming in and completely changing the dynamic of the lineup with his speed and stellar contact. Added a flourish we appear to now be lacking and hit near .300.

A huge loss to the lineup IMO, but I truly understand the need for a big relief arm.

We were missing Travis, who was on pace for a tremendous offensive season and could have filled the leadoff role had he not gotten injured. We also never got a sniff of what Saunders could do, and he is a decent hitter based on his career numbers.

We will basically be plugging in Travis and Saunders in place of Revere and Goins in the everyday lineup. If anything, our offense should be even more potent.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I wouldn't be surprised if the PTBNL has something to do with this, where there are different players the Nats get depending on the difference they have to pay.

I always assume the PTBNL is a draft pick. The Jays pick who the Nats want and once selected he's flipped over to them.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I liked Revere and thought he brought a lot to the club. However, the thing I couldn't understand is how he could be so jacked and have so little power. So confusing lol.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Meh trade for me. We give up 2 years of club control for one. A pretty effective everyday player for a ticking time bomb in the bullpen. The love affection for Pompey on here is out of control. Pretty useless with the bat. It must be because he's from Toronto.

This team has defiantly downgraded from the end of last year, disappointing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey, if a NL club really wants Dickey.... We sure could use some more spects.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010

How has the issue been rectified? Have Saunders or Pompey been in some secret league tearing the cover off the ball? Or are you basing this on past statistics. If thats the case, the issue has not been rectified and id say there's a better chance we'd be dealing with a struggling Pompey after a fragile Saunders gets hurt.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
IF Pompey doesn't win the starting LF job in Sprig training, whose our leadoff hitter?

I kind of like the idea of trying Saunders in leadoff. He's a good hitter, controls the bat with good contact. Also he has sneaky speed.

IF healthy (and that's a big IF) I could see him as a 15 HR-15 SB guy.

Wouldn't mind seeing Travis back in leadoff, but his return timeline keeps getting pushed back, from what I read. First saw mid/late April, then May, and today I read June! Hope he returns fully healthy sooner then later.

Don't think I want to see Pillar hitting leadoff. His contact rate seems low.
Goins at top of the lineup would be asking a lot.

They tried Tulo, that failed rather miserably. Please don't go down that road again!!

All in all, I like this trade a lot. Like many here have said already, we trade our most expensive option in a logged-jammed LF for another needed elite bullpen arm.
Storen is a stud. High 90's fastball with a lethal slider, that at times looks unhittable.
Also gives us lots of options to stretch out either Sanchez or Osuna and/or to trade a SP like Dickey.

Will be fun to watch if another move follows. Spring training can't come soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad