Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It looks almost like Martin bats lead off by default to me. The guy takes his walks.

I don't like my catchers getting that many atbats. Especially if there's no real backup. If you wrote it up on a spreadsheet though, he'd probably be a logical choice.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm still not a huge fan of trading Dickey unless you find a superior innings eater.

I don't see how they can trade Dickey and not either get back a 200 inning guy, or sign one with the savings.

They can't drop those 200 innings from the rotation and not replace them.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't like my catchers getting that many atbats. Especially if there's no real backup. If you wrote it up on a spreadsheet though, he'd probably be a logical choice.

Well who knows what happens if we trade Dickey. We for sure can at least add a better backup catcher but possibly even get a bat back in the trade.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
It looks almost like Martin bats lead off by default to me. The guy takes his walks.

I'd honestly rather have Pillar hit leadoff.

Which is what I think it will happen. See if he can learn to take a pitch, and if it fails miserably you don't really hurt the offense anyways and then Travis hits leadoff when he comes back

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Love reading people's comments on Facebook about this trade:

"Wow. Considering that Ben Revere practically helped will the Jays into the playoffs, this has to be the stupidest trade in Canadian sports history since Gretzky was traded to Los Angeles."

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
With a healthy Saunders and the possible emergence of Pompey, Revere was an expendable asset. I am pleasantly surprised at the return, especially when you factor in the cash for budgetary concerns.

Storen has the potential to be an elite bullpen arm, and we needed to respond to the recent moves made by the Yankees and the Red Sox.

This move also gives us enough depth to move Sanchez or Osuna to the starting rotation if one of them earns a spot in spring training.

Impressive first trade executed by Shapiro and Atkins.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
we've got storen for 1 yr hmmph

So?

They had Revere for two. And if Pompey develops well, as we all hope he will, the second year of Revere becomes moot.

I think they did well to maximize the Revere as an asset. It's not like he was going to get them a top three starter. But they were able to get a potentially elite bullpen arm for him.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

"Wow. Considering that Ben Revere practically helped will the Jays into the playoffs, this has to be the stupidest trade in Canadian sports history since Gretzky was traded to Los Angeles."

Whoever posted that clearly isn't a Leafs fan...

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario

Why put yourself through that pain:shakehead

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Storen has a 96mph fastball with a nice hard slider that rakes up K's. Hes basically what Delabar was a few years ago but with a slider instead of a splitter.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I liked Revere, but there isn't a facepalm big enough to respond to that quote.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
best is we can give storen the headline "proven closer" role, freeing us up to use the three better RP already in house for any and all high leverage situations.....or even free them up to start if need be.

very very happy with this move. shatkins nailed it.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The trades alright, but I really can't believe how harsh some of the fans have been on Revere. Pompey would have to fulfill his full potential to bring what Revere has. Huge wild card at this point. Revere's bat and speed are upper echelon. His arm was ****, but that's not a huge concern at LF.

Seems like we're at a point where everybody thinks that a BB > hit. It's stupid.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Question, Nats pay the Jays cash to even up the salaries, but they're not set yet. What happens if the Jays someone manage to talk their way into having Storen have a lower salary than Revere? Do the Jays then pay the Nats to even up salary, or does it become, oh it's in the Jays favour so nobody pays anyone anything anymore

we've got storen for 1 yr hmmph

not a bad thing. We had Revere for 2, but his salary was high next year and probably increase again. So his extra year wasn't exactly a benefit.

I mean it would be nice to have a player for 2 years but Storen's salary likely would have went up again from a projected 8.8. You're getting into the area of might as well just pay someone in free agency.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I like this. Storen's a real good reliever, and I'm more comfortable to have that price tag filling an area of need (and it's the same as what Revere will likely get since Walgreens is paying $2M of it).

All I can see us doing is maybe signing one bargain bin OF (like a Venable type) as depth if Saunders ends up not recovering or Pompey isn't ready, but I think Pompey should be ready.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The trades alright, but I really can't believe how harsh some of the fans have been on Revere. Pompey would have to fulfill his full potential to bring what Revere has. Huge wild card at this point. Revere's bat and speed are upper echelon. His arm was ****, but that's not a huge concern at LF.

Seems like we're at a point where everybody thinks that a BB > hit. It's stupid.

This one for me is all about trading from an organizational strength for something that addresses our biggest weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad