GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I mean, of course we would do that. Skjei is an upcoming FA, Morrow has been decent but not amazing at UMass and subsequently been jumped in prospect lists/young players by guys like Jarvis, Drury, Ponomarev and Nikishin- which is why he's become our universal throw in.

Well first, Jarvis is an NHL player, not a prospect. I still think that Morrow's a higher upside prospect than either Drury or Ponomaryov. I've yet to see many lists that place him below those two.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
on EP43....

I offered up Jarvis, Morrow, 1st and something else (maybe it was Drury) on trade board 6+ mos ago for EP43 and Canucks fans hated it.

Their management never seems to want to rebuild so if they're in win now they can't afford to move him...until their hand is forced.

Additionally when is Donny Wads going to finalize our deal for a star Sweedish forward?? (EP43, Nylander, and/or Lindholm)?!

Donny Wads warm up your lucky turtleneck and get to work.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes. I know a lot of that is we choose to be volume shooters, so MAYBE our goal-scoring wouldn't have dropped much had we taken fewer shots but been more selective. But at the end of the day it absolutely matters, because if you rely on volume shooting then your shots get limited, you're going to score less goals if your goal-scoring doesn't improve. It affects mentality & confidence too, if you're putting up 40 shots against and scoring 1 against an AHL goalie it gets in your head that you're "getting goalied", so continue to lob desperate, low-quality, unscreened, non-one-timer muffin shots
Kind of? At the end of the day, what matters is winning, not how you win. Teams with elite goal scorers (Boston with Pasta and Marchand; Toronto with Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Tavares) also lost to the same team in the playoffs that Carolina lost to. Missing Svech and Patches to injury certainly was a factor for Carolina so having more goal scoring would certainly help.

The team that won the cup this year didn't have a single 30G scorer on the entire roster this season. They won because they had impressive depth, played outstanding defense in the playoffs, and got very hot at the right time (not unlike the Canes the year they won the cup).

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Vancouver has missed the playoffs in 8 of the last 10 seasons. A Pettersson trade implies 9 of 11. An owner, particularly in a Canadian market, embracing a rebuild under the circumstances is questionable. Like Calgary in the Tkachuk trade, get the best players possible in return.

Jarvis’ contract efficiency moving forward shouldn’t be as much of a concern as replacing the core scorer going out the door. Yeah, Necas is in line for a big payday a la Bratt/Fiala. The Canucks would be able to afford that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How about trying to get pinto instead? He isn’t signed yet. He is more offensive than defensive but not to a detriment. Also a righty FO taker. He would be a good 2C candidate with the ability for us to shelter him.

Ottawa is obviously having issues fitting him in

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Ah, so we have 9 defensemen, four of which we JUST signed, and only 6 spots on any given night.

This reeks of mismanagement. I‘m betting Waddell put the cart before the horse, signed Orlov to replace one of Pesce or Skjei because he had a tentative agreement in place to deal them, then the deal fell through. Doesn’t really explain why we re-signed Coghlan or signed Jones though. At least the TonyD signing could be justified as “Well, he can be a 7th D to improve our PP”

That seems like a pretty harsh assessment given that we've still got a couple months until the season starts. Until there's evidence otherwise the Borg has earned the benefit of the doubt, imo. To quote Dom in The Athletic: "They are smarter than me, you, and everyone else in the room."

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
why are folks so caught up that we re-signed Cogs and signed Jones? we can waive either or both and we lose nothing but cheap depth.

It's very likely that Anaheim claims Coghlan if the Canes can't find a trade partner for a forward, but even so, it's not bad asset management. We basically acquired both Coghlan and Jones for nothing anyways.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
why are folks so caught up that we re-signed Cogs and signed Jones? we can waive either or both and we lose nothing but cheap depth.
Yea, the current D is
Slavin - Burns
Orlov/Skjei - Pesce
Orlov/Skjei - TDA/Chatty
TDA/Chatty

Depth/waiver fodder - Jones & Cogs

If we trade Skjei then it's TDA / Chatty / Jones fighting out for #5-7 and Cogs still being the waiver fodder

Reactions: Daeavorn

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I remember thinking Forsling wasn't really anything special when we lost him and then suddenly he was pretty good. I guess you never know with Coghlan. It still wouldn't really break my heart if he's lost in the numbers game. But I'm sure they saw some traits in him they like before acquiring him that they still might think they can tap into.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I remember thinking Forsling wasn't really anything special when we lost him and then suddenly he was pretty good. I guess you never know with Coghlan. It still wouldn't really break my heart if he's lost in the numbers game. But I'm sure they saw some traits in him they like before acquiring him that they still might think they can tap into.
Did Forsling play any games for the Canes? I can’t recall yes or no.

Coghlan is …. Not good. Not for this team and the expectations they have, both overall and defensively.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
After more thought EP43 is one of the few players I'd have Necas on the table for.

He's a great 200 ft player and the same age as Necas.

I'd offer Necas + 1st + Skjei + Morrow

I think that's a hard offer to beat that helps Vancouver now and in the future.

This is of course predicated on us knowing we can sign EP to a fairish long term deal.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
After more thought EP43 is one of the few players I'd have Necas on the table for.

This is of course predicated on us knowing we can sign EP to a fairish long term deal.

I’d give that in a heartbeat without thinking twice which means it’s not close. Maybe if he makes it clear he wants out it would make it closer but I think there’d be a bidding war to drive it back up.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC

I think youd have to overpay for Pettersson. Probably have to trade both Necas and Jarvis.

The guy is a 40g 100pt player. Those are extremely rare.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's very likely that Anaheim claims Coghlan if the Canes can't find a trade partner for a forward, but even so, it's not bad asset management. We basically acquired both Coghlan and Jones for nothing anyways.
I thought Anaheim was trying to get better?

We're stuck with Coghlan unless we can assign him to an AHL team that doesn't exist. Perhaps a loan to the Tokyo Katanas?

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

EP is a great player but with Necas/Skjei together at almost 110 points, along with throwing in a 1st & Morrow, that's too rich.

It's not a deal I would do nor let alone also throw in Jarvis as suggested.

I'm optimistic that Jarvis will have a breakout season and Necas will produce again at a high level with his buddy Svetch.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I think youd have to overpay for Pettersson. Probably have to trade both Necas and Jarvis.

The guy is a 40g 100pt player. Those are extremely rare.
He's not really a 40g player considering he's never scored 40 in a season and in 5 seasons he's only scored more than 32 once. Also he only has 1 season (last year) ppg or above. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of him but I think his 100pt season is closer to RNH's than Auston Matthews or MacKinnon who would require a significant overpayment and are truly rare players. EP is more like Aho, Barkov, Tage who are great players but not in that top tier (well 2nd tier if you put McDavid in his own tier).

Also, the reality is the only way he's possibly available is if he forces his way out of Vancouver and in that case his trade value is diminished a bit. They aren't going to trade him to "shake things up" only if he wants out. Necas AND Jarvis is a hard no go, 1 or the other and a D and prospects/picks makes sense and I think would be fair.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

Pettersson's jersey number is 40; not 43.

I agree that'd I'd do that trade package even though it'd still hurt IMO to lose Necas. I think Vancouver would probably prefer Necas over Jarvis, but I'd be willing to replace Necas for Jarvis in that trade package. I'd also be willing to throw in another draft pick if it helps get the trade done, but preferably not another 1st round.

Like you said though, this is all assuming we'd be able to re-sign EP.

EP
Aho
KK
Staal

That looks damn good, and is in the conversation for best center depth in the league IMO.

Obviously Edmonton would still be a favorite, but our center depth would have to be better on the 3rd and 4th lines than theirs while McDavid and Drai would look amazing on the 1st and 2nd lines as the superstars they are.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Pettersson's jersey number is 40; not 43.

I agree that'd I'd do that trade package even though it'd still hurt IMO to lose Necas. I think Vancouver would probably prefer Necas over Jarvis, but I'd be willing to replace Necas for Jarvis in that trade package. I'd also be willing to throw in another draft pick if it helps get the trade done, but preferably not another 1st round.

Like you said though, this is all assuming we'd be able to re-sign EP.

EP
Aho
KK
Staal

That looks damn good, and is in the conversation for best center depth in the league IMO.

Obviously Edmonton would still be a favorite, but our center depth would have to be better on the 3rd and 4th lines than theirs while McDavid and Drai would look amazing on the 1st and 2nd lines as the superstars they are.

I stand corrected.

I think Necas has a good bit more value than Jarvis so we'd have to include him.

A trade like that....what it makes our center depth....combined with our defense is a scary scary team in the cap era.

I'm not sure how much more we could add. That is essentially 3 1sts worth of value + already....and as others mentioned Vancouver probably doesn't do it. I'd be fine adding another prospect like Drury or a 2nd if it pushed it over the finish line but not much more.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad