GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
There has to be a plan here.

Nathan Beaulieu is a good enough player to, at the very least, get a PTO with several other teams around the league.

The notion that his agent would let him do this, this early in the offseason, with a team with 9 veteran NHL dmen ahead of him, indicates to me that Waddell's got a plan that he's capable of communicating. He just won't do so publicly, I'm sure.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Nathan Beaulieu is a good enough player to, at the very least, get a PTO with several other teams around the league.

The notion that his agent would let him do this, this early in the offseason, with a team with 9 veteran NHL dmen ahead of him, indicates to me that Waddell's got a plan that he's capable of communicating. He just won't do so publicly, I'm sure.
"Would you like to win a Stanley Cup as one of the featured defensemen in our innovative new 2-3 scheme?"

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Silly 3am thoughts. But what if the Canes are marketing Skjei & Pesce as a package? They work fantastic with each other, their value together would be hugely valuable. I think there’d be an appeal to move one of your elite top 6 forwards for an elite 2nd pairing, arguably very good 1st pairing set of D.

Our defense still looks solid if we move on from both.

Slavin - DeAngelo
Orlov - Burns
Jones - Chatfield

BabchukCanon

Jan 18, 2011
Apex, NC
I think youd have to overpay for Pettersson. Probably have to trade both Necas and Jarvis.

The guy is a 40g 100pt player. Those are extremely rare.

Being that I now own both of the first period worn jerseys from Necas and Jarvis from the Stadium Series, if they both get traded it will continue the trend of I buy a rare game worn jersey and then they're no longer on the team not much longer. See Reverse Retro 1.0s for Trocheck and Nino.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Silly 3am thoughts. But what if the Canes are marketing Skjei & Pesce as a package? They work fantastic with each other, their value together would be hugely valuable. I think there’d be an appeal to move one of your elite top 6 forwards for an elite 2nd pairing, arguably very good 1st pairing set of D.

Slavin - DeAngelo
Orlov - Burns
Jones - Chatfield

Ok, so with one having a 10 team "I won't go there" list and the other having a 15 team "you can only trade me here" list, plus you need to find a team that has a big enough hole in their lineup that fits two top four defensemen, plus they have to have the assets to send us something interesting back....I like my chances in the Powerball tomorrow better.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Ok, so with one having a 10 team "I won't go there" list and the other having a 15 team "you can only trade me here" list, plus you need to find a team that has a big enough hole in their lineup that fits two top four defensemen, plus they have to have the assets to send us something interesting back....I like my chances in the Powerball tomorrow better.

My 4am thoughts were Auston Matthews, step on down. Then I finally fell asleep and am thinking normally again.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

It's a PTO...nothing stops him from signing a contract with another team. I'm guessing a PTO with us means he gets some ice time, practice, gym training, etc. that he might not get as a UFA. Chance to showcase himself and prove to someone he's worth a contract

Slavin - DeAngelo
Orlov - Burns
Jones - Chatfield
It's gonna be a no from me dawg. He did ok there, but I wouldn't even really want him next to Orlov except emergency fill-in. That's not a cup-winning D if you have to put TDA up there. Keep Pesce as an own-rental and let him play on the 3rd pair with Chatty.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Without a trade to thin the herd it’s really curious to see where Rod is going to put TDA. He likes a tough defensive minded third pair but he has too many good defenseman to play in the top two above Tony.
I have little doubt Rod will put TDA on the third pair. That's where he started 2 years ago when Bear was top pair, and TDA was feasting on matchups with a defensively responsible partner in CDH Cole.

Now imagine Orlov as his partner: a defensively responsible LD who can move the puck up ice and shoot.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Without a trade to thin the herd it’s really curious to see where Rod is going to put TDA. He likes a tough defensive minded third pair but he has too many good defenseman to play in the top two above Tony.
Yeah with the pieces we currently have, I'm not fully convinced that TDA is going to be in the opening night lineup. Without another trade, it's really a tossup between TDA, Chatfield and Jones for that last spot in the lineup, and TDA isn't exactly the best defender of that bunch.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Probably roll with 6D + TDA and just double shift some lucky 3rd liner. I'm still not convinced we have a better lineup than last year if we expected production from Patches. Certainly we won't next year if we lose Skjei and Pesce for nothing.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's also possible that Tony is betting on himself and becomes a medium term option for the team, say, re-upping after this year at 3 years, $12M total ($4M per). Something like that seems fair for both sides if he has another good year.

I had this other recent thought. Compare us with how Tampa does contracts. Tampa would lock in Pesce and Skjei and Jarvis at this point. For Jarvis, they'd probably bridge him for 2 years, $3M per. For the others, they'd probably pay them full market value. Tampa seems to value buying a player mid season and then committing all the good years to that player (often a pricey contract after a cheap bridge). They heavily value locking in a really good core.

Contrast that with the Canes, and they heavily value cap flexibility, not just from one offseason to the next, but also going into the deadline, at the end of the offseason, pretty much always. The Canes I'd say are the most comfortable team in the league with letting their good pieces get right to free agency and then figuring out the pieces later.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I was thinking about potential UFA options in the event that Pesce walks (or, more likely, sign-and-traded a la Severson for the 8th year). One name that keeps popping in my head is Matt Roy (pronounced in the English way). The Kings have Brandt Clarke and are therefore likely to walk him; I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes look to him as the Pesce successor, especially if he's signable for a 2-3 year term like Orlov (which would only take him to age 30-31). The Kings have had a RHD glut for a few seasons, and he hasn't really had the ice time to try showcase his talents even though he's always been a very good defensive RHD.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It's also possible that Tony is betting on himself and becomes a medium term option for the team, say, re-upping after this year at 3 years, $12M total ($4M per). Something like that seems fair for both sides if he has another good year.

I had this other recent thought. Compare us with how Tampa does contracts. Tampa would lock in Pesce and Skjei and Jarvis at this point. For Jarvis, they'd probably bridge him for 2 years, $3M per. For the others, they'd probably pay them full market value. Tampa seems to value buying a player mid season and then committing all the good years to that player (often a pricey contract after a cheap bridge). They heavily value locking in a really good core.

Contrast that with the Canes, and they heavily value cap flexibility, not just from one offseason to the next, but also going into the deadline, at the end of the offseason, pretty much always. The Canes I'd say are the most comfortable team in the league with letting their good pieces get right to free agency and then figuring out the pieces later.

Canes are IMO sort of a fusion of both the Tampa philosophy and the Patriots' "creative destruction" philosophy. They are going to sign Necas and Jarvis to max-term deals, though Jarvis will likely bridge the first two like Necas did. Where the Canes differ from Tampa is that they are much more strict about not going over a certain line to keep non-core players. Tampa is more comfortable, for example, about giving someone like Nick Paul a 7 year contract.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I was thinking about potential UFA options in the event that Pesce walks (or, more likely, sign-and-traded a la Severson for the 8th year). One name that keeps popping in my head is Matt Roy (pronounced in the English way). The Kings have Brandt Clarke and are therefore likely to walk him; I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes look to him as the Pesce successor, especially if he's signable for a 2-3 year term like Orlov (which would only take him to age 30-31). The Kings have had a RHD glut for a few seasons, and he hasn't really had the ice time to try showcase his talents even though he's always been a very good defensive RHD.
The Righty defender FA market will be pretty good next offseason. Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, Tanev, and Montour.

Roy really doesn’t excite me at big dollars for 2-3 years. He is a middle of the road guy not a difference maker. Orlov is a difference maker. Roy and DeMelo will hope to have another well above average shooting year so that they can be the 3rd best FA righty available.

Just get Tanev for one year with a chance to win the cup. We should have options though

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018

so I am replying specifically to your comment. But this is in no way meant to speak directly to you or look like I’m trying to argue or contradict you specifically. I have seen several comments in the same kind of vein as you are making above not just here but in my feeds and on other internet places as I scroll around looking for any news give the dog days of summer….. so my comment is speaking to things generally but using your note to frame the reference and save some typing, given my rep of not shutting up and writing toooooo long posts on here :)

Canes management did not view TDA as top d pairing player even after he played here for the season and played well for us. While he did well for us on Slavin pairing, the brutally honest evaluators and stats guys along with the rest of the team leadership collective viewed TDA in an ideal roster scenario as being a lower pair guy and thus offered him a contract at that value. TDA parlayed Slavin making all his partners look amazing into a nice contract for himself with Philly when we couldn’t agree on his role and value and we went out and got Burns.

we still have Burns and now we got TDA back on a similar value contract that is more of a 3rd pair cap hit. It took Philly paying a chunk of the bill, but to the Cames org, they held fast and are paying what they want and see as his value.

Even if TDA gets good ice time and has success for us again, I just don’t see us paying him middle d pair money next season after we are basically on record twice now as valuing him as a bottom pairing cap hit player… and technically three times if you count the 1m flyer we took trying to get a steal of a deal… we didn’t sign him to a 4m 1 year deal, we paid him 1m for a year expecting him to be the third pair guy and maybe get good production from the third pair. Nor do I see us giving him 3 or more years of term. That’s just not how we roll…

I Wish TDA all the success in the world this season because if he is successful this year that bodes well for the Canes team‘s success hopefully.. but the only way I see TDA playing higher than third pairing is if we have injuries to those players higher up the lineup. And TDA has his work cut out for him to unseat Chatfield at regular rotation of 3rd pairing right d…. Brindy stuck with Chat in that spot all year. Only time he got moved out of that spot was to play higher in the lineup, not to sit for another player….

I see Brindy introducing the 2f-3D formation before I see TDA playing consistently over Chatfield at 3rd pair right d and chatty sitting in the press box….**** Assuming we have all our higher pair players on the roster to start the season ******

If Skjei and Pesce are still here opening night into the season and we have Orlov playing LD on the third freaking pair to keep those two guys together as our shutdown pairing, it’s going to be 2F-3D rosters or we play a lot of nights with 7d and 11 forwards giving lots of double shift opportunities for our top 3 centers and being creative finding shifts for TDA…..Or Burns moves to the wing to make room for more d men to play :)

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
so I am replying specifically to your comment. But this is in no way meant to speak directly to you or look like I’m trying to argue or contradict you specifically. I have seen several comments in the same kind of vein as you are making above not just here but in my feeds and on other internet places as I scroll around looking for any news give the dog days of summer….. so my comment is speaking to things generally but using your note to frame the reference and save some typing, given my rep of not shutting up and writing toooooo long posts on here :)

Canes management did not view TDA as top d pairing player even after he played here for the season and played well for us. While he did well for us on Slavin pairing, the brutally honest evaluators and stats guys along with the rest of the team leadership collective viewed TDA in an ideal roster scenario as being a lower pair guy and thus offered him a contract at that value. TDA parlayed Slavin making all his partners look amazing into a nice contract for himself with Philly when we couldn’t agree on his role and value and we went out and got Burns.

we still have Burns and now we got TDA back on a similar value contract that is more of a 3rd pair cap hit. It took Philly paying a chunk of the bill, but to the Cames org, they held fast and are paying what they want and see as his value.

Even if TDA gets good ice time and has success for us again, I just don’t see us paying him middle d pair money next season after we are basically on record twice now as valuing him as a bottom pairing cap hit player… and technically three times if you count the 1m flyer we took trying to get a steal of a deal… we didn’t sign him to a 4m 1 year deal, we paid him 1m for a year expecting him to be the third pair guy and maybe get good production from the third pair. Nor do I see us giving him 3 or more years of term. That’s just not how we roll…

I Wish TDA all the success in the world this season because if he is successful this year that bodes well for the Canes team‘s success hopefully.. but the only way I see TDA playing higher than third pairing is if we have injuries to those players higher up the lineup. And TDA has his work cut out for him to unseat Chatfield at regular rotation of 3rd pairing right d…. Brindy stuck with Chat in that spot all year. Only time he got moved out of that spot was to play higher in the lineup, not to sit for another player….

I see Brindy introducing the 2f-3D formation before I see TDA playing consistently over Chatfield at 3rd pair right d and chatty sitting in the press box….**** Assuming we have all our higher pair players on the roster to start the season ******

If Skjei and Pesce are still here opening night into the season and we have Orlov playing LD on the third freaking pair to keep those two guys together as our shutdown pairing, it’s going to be 2F-3D rosters or we play a lot of nights with 7d and 11 forwards giving lots of double shift opportunities for our top 3 centers and being creative finding shifts for TDA…..Or Burns moves to the wing to make room for more d men to play :)
No offense taken at all. This is the internet, ma'ams and sirs. That was a thoughtful and detailed post.

I think TDA just might be a more realistic re-sign than Pesce or Skjei. Both those guys might command top dollar, and TDA might like it here. It's possible he signs for less than $4M. With Philly, he did 2 years at $5M, and here he is signed for about $1.7M. His true value is probably in between, and the cap is rising next year. Perhaps $3.5M is a fairer number. Less if he doesn't have a year like his first year.

If he has another good year like his first year here, I think some NHL team will pay him at least the Ghostisbehere contract, 1 year $4.1M IIRC. Ghost was competent with us, Tony was exceptional with us, for the most part. I also think Tony is a slightly worse defensive player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad