GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
"one thing that may change is that previously capped out clubs may no longer need to dump cap space for the same rate of return as in the past.'

I suspect they will get a 2 year or so relief but then will be back to their profligate spending ways and be in trouble again.
I'm not sure how much relief the rising cap will provide the most likely competitive teams. Most of that cap space will be eaten up by teams re-signing their own UFAs and RFAs. I looked at the free agents (yes, I know it's early) for the 2024-25 season, but there're lots of guys - UFAs from Matthews to Toews to Reinhart to Dahlin to Petersson to....well you get my drift. The list of RFAs is even more jam packed with potential big contracts. Lastly, I'm not sure the cap will rise as much as some think. The bump could be less than the anticipated $4 million.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IMG_3214.jpeg

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Canes:
*forwards struggle to score*
"We like our group"
*acquire more defensemen*
"We like our group"
"We like our group"
"We like our group"
...i feel like there's a trend here

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I mean Coghlan hasn’t shown anything to count as a regular defender. Carrying 8 isn’t that big of a deal

Carrying 8 seems like a bit of a waste. Assuming the top two pairs stay the same, that means the bottom pair and 7th and 8th defensemen would consist of three guys we JUST signed and Chatfield.

Why sign Orlov if you’re going to play him on the bottom pairing? Why sign Cogs if he’s the 8th defensemen?

Actually, I think I’m missing someone.

Slavin-Burns
Pesce-Skeji
Orlov-Chatfield
DeAngelo-Coghlan

Who am I missing?

Reactions: Svechhammer

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Carrying 8 seems like a bit of a waste. Assuming the top two pairs stay the same, that means the bottom pair and 7th and 8th defensemen would consist of three guys we JUST signed and Chatfield.

Why sign Orlov if you’re going to play him on the bottom pairing? Why sign Cogs if he’s the 8th defensemen?

Actually, I think I’m missing someone.

Slavin-Burns
Pesce-Skeji
Orlov-Chatfield
DeAngelo-Coghlan

Who am I missing?

Jones

Carrying 8 makes sense to me for this season, if you look at it in the context of them not having ready-to-callup depth in the AHL. I do agree with the thought that there is yet a shoe to drop with them moving either Skjei or Pesce out prior to opening night.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Orlov was the only roster difference maker available in FA. Add in the difference maker would sign for low years and will bridge the gap to our young russian. There isn’t a guarantee that our soon to be FAs sign to a deal we like. What is down side?

Young RS defenders have value. If a team has an injury and needs a defender, he will be a free asset to trade.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Orlov was the only roster difference maker available in FA. Add in the difference maker would sign for low years and will bridge the gap to our young russian. There isn’t a guarantee that our soon to be FAs sign to a deal we like. What is down side?

The downside is paying at least three defensemen a decent chunk of change to spend their days in the pressbox when that money could have been spent shoring up the forward group that struggles to score.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The downside is paying at least three defensemen a decent chunk of change to spend their days in the pressbox when that money could have been spent shoring up the forward group that struggles to score.
What forward is going to improve the roster or shore up the scoring for 1.6 million?

That just seems like a complaint waiting to happen if we tried to sign another depth forward who doesn’t pan out

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Jones

Carrying 8 makes sense to me for this season, if you look at it in the context of them not having ready-to-callup depth in the AHL. I do agree with the thought that there is yet a shoe to drop with them moving either Skjei or Pesce out prior to opening night.

Ah, so we have 9 defensemen, four of which we JUST signed, and only 6 spots on any given night.

This reeks of mismanagement. I‘m betting Waddell put the cart before the horse, signed Orlov to replace one of Pesce or Skjei because he had a tentative agreement in place to deal them, then the deal fell through. Doesn’t really explain why we re-signed Coghlan or signed Jones though. At least the TonyD signing could be justified as “Well, he can be a 7th D to improve our PP”

Reactions: cptjeff
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ah, so we have 9 defensemen, four of which we JUST signed, and only 6 spots on any given night.

This reeks of mismanagement. I‘m betting Waddell put the cart before the horse, signed Orlov to replace one of Pesce or Skjei because he had a tentative agreement in place to deal them, then the deal fell through. Doesn’t really explain why we re-signed Coghlan or signed Jones though. At least the TonyD signing could be justified as “Well, he can be a 7th D to improve our PP”

To be fair it sounds like Orlov just kinda happened. I don’t think he was the plan it sounds like he just kinda fell into our lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad