GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So is the Canes cap situation stable, or do they need to clear salary to reactivate Svechnikov?

If they don't have to move someone, dangle Pesce for forward help, but if no one bites, keep him and go with a stacked defense. Especially since it'd be a mistake to assume Burns can handle a season + playoffs of RD1 at his age.
it's stable. In fact the way it's heading we're going to be right around 4M banked by the deadline, and that's with some of the guys that are likely AHL bound still factored in (Coghlan, maybe Kooch).

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I’m still struggling with thinking Rod wants TT on that line over Martinook, let alone a Jarvis.
Surprisingly, TT is pretty good along the boards, not because of his body strength, but because of his stickwork. And, arguably he's a better pure defender than Nookie.

I think having somebody with Tuevo's scoring prowess (even if he will pass up an open shot to feed Staal) is ideal. Yes, Nino was a bigger, stronger dude, but it was his shot that made that line so dangerous IMO.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Surprisingly, TT is pretty good along the boards, not because of his body strength, but because of his stickwork. And, arguably he's a better pure defender than Nookie.

I think having somebody with Tuevo's scoring prowess (even if he will pass up an open shot to feed Staal) is ideal. Yes, Nino was a bigger, stronger dude, but it was his shot that made that line so dangerous IMO.
I think that line is successful because they sacrifice it all for the grind. If offense comes from it then great but it’s not the expectation nor is it the need. It’s not TT’s game. Rod doesn’t really expect scoring from them. We’ll see how it goes, maybe I’m wrong or he’ll feel he needs to give TT a chance and doesn’t want to bury him on the fourth.

I think his first instinct would be to run the same three regardless of more talented options being available.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Pagnotta saying around 9 million for Lindholm. I hope calgary does it because they will be perpetually in mediocrity with a negative value 1C.
I don't know what negative value means in this context, but he did score 42 goals two seasons ago. A center that can score 40+ goals seems like a piece you have to build around, and Calgary is not exactly a destination for free agents right now.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don't know what negative value means in this context, but he did score 42 goals two seasons ago. A center that can score 40+ goals seems like a piece you have to build around, and Calgary is not exactly a destination for free agents right now.
He is riding playing with JG and Tkachuk to the bank. He is a 2C that benefited from those 2.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
A plethora
Any excuse to post this is welcome...

Jefe: We have many beautiful piñatas for your birthday celebration, each one filled with little surprises!
El Guapo: How many piñatas?
Jefe: Many piñatas, many!
El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A plethora.
Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: El Guapo, I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education, but could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He was clearly going to get 8 on the market minimum. If he’s staying he’s going to get more than Kadri’s 7. It’s less than Aho who’s right at about a ppg player. With the market changing I think between 8 and Aho is pretty much where he belongs. If he’s “overpaid” it’ll be by about a million which in Calgary’s shoes is the price of doing business and it’ll be irrelevant when the cap goes up. If it’s 8 years that hurts but this is a clear cut 1B center who’s at his ufa moment. He’s getting term. He’s earned it. If we traded for him and kept him he would be expecting term.

He’s generally healthy and he’s a very consistent player. You have to sign somebody and with their losses center is the position to invest in. Their market wants to win more than it wants a rebuild. They have enough talent to not rebuild.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Sure, but even without those two, he's probably a 30 goal center with decent help. And yes, the price is probably high, but I don't think he's anywhere near a "negative value player", whatever that means.
9 million aav, he will be a negative value player. I.e aint living up to his contract

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I remember when people said the exact same thing about Jordan Staal's contract
Yeah…..I don’t really know what a negative value contract is either but for a few years there Staal would’ve gotten my vote. Even with his improved play at the back end I don’t know that I’d ever say he was worth six league wide. It worked for us in the end so it’s irrelevant.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I remember when people said the exact same thing about Jordan Staal's contract
...but he didn't ever really live up to that contract, so not sure the point here. He's been solid for us and our cap situation made it not a big deal, but if we'd been closer to the cap he absolutely would have been seen as a guy with "dead cap"

Lindholm @ $9M is probably a little high, considering he only surpassed 30G once, during his career year 2 years ago. He's only been at/close to a PPG player twice though, and I think his biggest detriment is that he's more the "passenger" than the play driver. He had a career year with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, but otherwise he's mostly been low-end 1C / high-end 2C, and he's looking at 1C money.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
...but he didn't ever really live up to that contract, so not sure the point here. He's been solid for us and our cap situation made it not a big deal, but if we'd been closer to the cap he absolutely would have been seen as a guy with "dead cap"

Lindholm @ $9M is probably a little high, considering he only surpassed 30G once, during his career year 2 years ago. He's only been at/close to a PPG player twice though, and I think his biggest detriment is that he's more the "passenger" than the play driver. He had a career year with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, but otherwise he's mostly been low-end 1C / high-end 2C, and he's looking at 1C money.
Well I think he drives play pretty well but he’s a playmaker much more than a scorer so he’s very much a complimentary player at the same time. Which can make value confusing. He’s needs people who can finish around him to be higher levels of productive. His ability to take the zone, drive back the D and find the open lane driving teammate is hard to question. He actually takes it to the net himself and scores on occasion as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad