Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, I've said numerous times that I don't actually expect this to happen. These guys are in their mid/late 20s, not in their late 40s as I am, lol. Those extra ~20 years provide a LOT of clarity in life. That's why I always describe it as the advice I would give if I was McDavid's father (which I'm pretty much old enough to be). It is the advice I would give my own son, if he was ever fortunate enough to be in such a position in life. Once you have "enough", however you define that in your own life, money really, REALLY, doesn't matter anymore.

The reality is we have no clue what these guys want to do once their careers end. They’ve got business guys in their ears talking about investments, property etc etc. the unfortunate reality is that very often the more money someone makes the more they want to make. Maybe McDavid wants to buy part of an NHL team when he retires. God only knows. But it’s easy for us to say “oh just take $30m less it’s meaningless to you”. That’s a lot of money no matter how you slice it. It’s also why these guys have agents, to ensure they don’t make stupid decisions in their careers when it comes to career earnings.
The 8 years deals end up making McDavid more money than the 12 or 15 years deal for OV and Crosby. McDavid can still take the same 12.5M deal and still make more than both OV and Crosby.

Crosby next deal could be 12M x 2 years as he needs 2 years to become the Pitts all time point leader and he deserves it but if he decides 8.7M is the deal for him again it means it was never about $$ for him and I'm hoping McDavid sees the same way.

The 8 year deal will see McDavid earning more than those two simply because of the cap going up. Crosby was able to keep his cap hit low because the Pens could backslide his contract in years at the end of his career. He was making $12m per year when the cap was under $80m.

You’re welcome to ask McDavid to take 12.5m per year when the cap is going to be closer to $100m when his deal starts. But without those extra years available to drop the hit, it’s probably not going to happen.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Anything over 13.25 makes him the highest paid player no? Seems fair as auston matthews is probably the better player, but he signed last yr (lower cap) and only for 5 years. 8 years at 13.5-13.75 per year seems like a good deal for us still
Buying up UFA years usually costs more, so I am sure the math is in Leon's favour to be higher. If it is under $14, fine. And with Leon signing, you know what that means?

mcdrai.jpg

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If it were my son, I would say sign for the most you can for the next 8 years. It isn't his job to manage the team properly by taking $10 million a year less. You do your job, let the management do theirs. Cross the legacy bridge at the end.

Yeah fair enough. I think you are wrong, lol, I think when you earn what McDavid does and you live in a hard cap world, that if you really want to win, you have to be aware of all the ingredients that go into a cup winning team. Cap efficiency is near the top of that list of ingredients, if not at the very top But that's okay, we don't have to agree on this.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Yeah fair enough. I think you are wrong, lol, I think when you earn what McDavid does and you live in a hard cap world, that if you really want to win, you have to be aware of all the ingredients that go into a cup winning team. Cap efficiency is near the top of that list of ingredients, if not at the very top But that's okay, we don't have to agree on this.
Why is it McDavid's responsibility to take $10M less because of botched management? I am sure he is aware of cap efficiency and wasted resources by the team. And why would he be the one guy in the history of the game to do what you are suggesting? Against the advice of his agent and Player's association. Your assertion makes no sense.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The reality is we have no clue what these guys want to do once their careers end. They’ve got business guys in their ears talking about investments, property etc etc. the unfortunate reality is that very often the more money someone makes the more they want to make. Maybe McDavid wants to buy part of an NHL team when he retires. God only knows. But it’s easy for us to say “oh just take $30m less it’s meaningless to you”. That’s a lot of money no matter how you slice it. It’s also why these guys have agents, to ensure they don’t make stupid decisions in their careers when it comes to career earnings.

Yeah, I have no idea what his "life objectives" are. Maybe its like you say and he is super obsessed with owning a NHL team one day, or some other venture that requires a significant amount of capital, so that $30 M matters a lot. That is 100% fine, but lets not pretend that being obsessed with money doesn't come at the cost of securing legacy around being a winner, because it assuredly does in a hard cap world.

Again, I am just repeating what I would say to my own son as my opinion. If my son came back and said something like "yeah, that is great and all, but I care more about owning 25% of an NHL team than I do about winning a cup", then I would say "great, go after that bag then!".

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why is it McDavid's responsibility to take $10M less because of botched management? I am sure he is aware of cap efficiency and wasted resources by the team. And why would he be the one guy in the history of the game to do what you are suggesting? Against the advice of his agent and Player's association. Your assertion makes no sense.

The PA won't care at all, as has been pointed out numerous, numerous times. It's a "fixed pie" league, and any individual player taking less only affects those who can use him as a comparable to up their own contracts, which in McDavid's case is like 3-5 players in the entire league. The 99% of the rest of the league would actually benefit from a "McDavid caliber" player taking less, as the player side of the revenue pie would be greater. Again, this has been discussed many times already on here.

It's not really his responsibility per say, but if winning really is the most important thing to him, then it kind of is his responsibility. If money is more important, or at least equal I guess, then he has no responsibility at all. McDavid is in a very unique position, in that he already has generational wealth. I would not make this argument for 99% of the league. 99% of the league should chase as much money as possible, and that is the advice I would give them. The Crosby, McDavid, Ovi players are different, and should be given different advice. At least that is my position.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
This whole "top players should take less to win" always seemed so backwards to me. Imagine your boss coming to you and saying "Good job on being a top performer, can you take a 30% salary pay cut so we can hire more people who do not perform as good as you"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if the 13.8 aav number is being floated out there so we are going to be crazy happy with 13.0. Like Konecny getting 8.75 after being rumored to ask for 10+

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The difference of say $5 M/year, vs $15/year over 3 years, so $30 M. You are assuming that he can't lock down a 8 year deal after the 3 year deal, which he 100% will be able to do, barring a catastrophic injury, which is exceptionally unlikely to occur. He would likely actually make MORE on the future 8 year deal due to the rising cap, although I'm guessing it would still be a net negative on his career totals.
You are essentially saying he should take a 100+ million dollar gamble. It’s insane.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
13.29, then Connor at 13.97 next year. Leon would then have the highest AAV for a season before Connor takes over

in reality probably more likely to be 13.75 then 14.5 for Connor
Mcdavid is worth a lot more than Draisitl.
Moch higher earning value.

Reactions: Duke74

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So Connor will make over $200 million in his playing career. Players like him want to win as it will be a part of his legacy. Does $210 million really trump a chance to win every year at $200 million? I mean let's be real here, unless they are spending all of their $ the $ that they make will grow due to investments. This isn't Vinny Desharnais here that was wise to grab every penny he could because he's a late bloomer and hasn't made much to this point. If Connor doesn't win a cup his legacy will be that of the best player to never win a cup. At the end of the day their contracts will tell us how serious they are about winning. Anything over $14 million for Leon and $15 million for Connor would tell me that they aren't as serious about it as we would hope. IMO Leon should come in at $13.5 million and Connor at $15 million. At the end of their deals they won't be the same caliber of player so if they want to keep winning they will need to bring in some new faces to help carry the mail and they won't be cheap.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Anything under 14 is a discount, anything under 13 is a substantial discount and pretty unlikely. Im guessing 13.25-13.5 over 8 years is going to be the sweet spot.

I think McDavid will be the one to take the substantial discount. He’s got far more career earnings than Leon and so he’ll take the bigger hit this time around. He could easily get a max deal but I’m betting he takes around 14x8.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This whole "top players should take less to win" always seemed so backwards to me. Imagine your boss coming to you and saying "Good job on being a top performer, can you take a 30% salary pay cut so we can hire more people who do not perform as good as you"
None of us work "to win" and leave a legacy.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
So Connor will make over $200 million in his playing career. Players like him want to win as it will be a part of his legacy. Does $210 million really trump a chance to win every year at $200 million? I mean let's be real here, unless they are spending all of their $ the $ that they make will grow due to investments. This isn't Vinny Desharnais here that was wise to grab every penny he could because he's a late bloomer and hasn't made much to this point. If Connor doesn't win a cup his legacy will be that of the best player to never win a cup. At the end of the day their contracts will tell us how serious they are about winning. Anything over $14 million for Leon and $15 million for Connor would tell me that they aren't as serious about it as we would hope. IMO Leon should come in at $13.5 million and Connor at $15 million. At the end of their deals they won't be the same caliber of player so if they want to keep winning they will need to bring in some new faces to help carry the mail and they won't be cheap.
B, the guy is suggesting that McDavid take 3 x $5M to win a cup.

b99-terry-jeffords.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Anything under 14 is a discount, anything under 13 is a substantial discount and pretty unlikely. Im guessing 13.25-13.5 over 8 years is going to be the sweet spot.

I think McDavid will be the one to take the substantial discount. He’s got far more career earnings than Leon and so he’ll take the bigger hit this time around. He could easily get a max deal but I’m betting he takes around 14x8.
If Connor took $14 million that would be insane and also show people how much he wants to win. I know that people here want to win a cup with this team, I want multiple cups from this group. The next 5 years if we stay healthy and management does a good job, I don't think that winning 2-3 cups should be out of the question.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I get what you are saying but it’s not the same and you know it.
Of course it's not the same. McDavid got no boss and I work for one. I will never see generational wealth. McDavid is already sitting on one even without the UFA deal. He can take the same AVV and still make over $200M and that's not including endorsements. He will never spend all that dough

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Of course it's not the same. McDavid got no boss and I work for one. I will never see generational wealth. McDavid is already sitting on one even without the UFA deal. He can take the same AVV and still make over $200M and that's not including endorsements. He will never spend all that dough
You also don’t have millions of fans and generations of kids looking up to you. You also won’t be in the history books. You also won’t be talked about in goat conversations for years. You also won’t be in a HOF. Peter being the best in the office and McDavid are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad