Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No it isn't and you have proof right before your eyes. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. This is how it works. Top guys getting near max $ (or projected to), nothing left for the other good players, especially the young ones that we need that get very little ice time or PP time. What are they going to look forward to as youngins? Loss of 2 good cheaper players in the scheme of things. Case closed from 2 weeks ago. Just a troll, not a long time Oilers fan realizing the cap is an issue.
You realize that the cap rises? I guess we should just trade Connor and Leon for 6 Holloway and Broberg type players and call it a day? Compete horse shit. Nurse is the issue here not Connor or Leon.

Reactions: oilers'72

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
You realize that the cap rises? I guess we should just trade Connor and Leon for 6 Holloway and Broberg type players and call it a day? Compete horse shit. Nurse is the issue here not Connor or Leon.
The proof is before your eyes. I don't care if it's McD/Drai or Nurse chasing their bag. Other players are chasing to become better and get paid some too. Screw paying the top 2 or top 4 guys. It takes a team. Lets keep arguing, calling me a troll, a new comer, an outsider, etc. Our team is not intact, because the team cannot be so top heavy as everyone projects. It would be hard to grow as a player when the top guys take everything and there is nothing left in terms of minutes and $. Well there ya go.

I really dislike secure your core, pay everyone else little concept. There ya go.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The proof is before your eyes. I don't care if it's McD/Drai or Nurse chasing their bag. Other players are chasing to become better and get paid some too. Screw paying the top 2 or top 4 guys. It takes a team. Lets keep arguing, calling me a troll, a new comer, an outsider, etc. Our team is not intact, because the team cannot be so top heavy as everyone projects. It would be hard to grow as a player when the top guys take everything and there is nothing left in terms of minutes and $. Well there ya go.

I really dislike secure your core, pay everyone else little concept. There ya go.
Then cheer for a team without stars. If you are honestly bitching about having 2 of the top 5 players of the last decade that's on you. Players are taking less to play here to win, not everyone has the mindset of filling their bag at all costs. Some like having a mostly filled bag for the chance to drink out of a cup.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Then cheer for a team without stars. If you are honestly bitching about having 2 of the top 5 players of the last decade that's on you. Players are taking less to play here to win, not everyone has the mindset of filling their bag at all costs. Some like having a mostly filled bag for the chance to drink out of a cup.
Not if Drai wants 13-14 and McD 15-16, Bouch 10+, Nurse already overpaid. Young players don't see their way up and are taking the $, Blues are paying for their potential to contradict what you said. I agree Henrique and Brown took less $. Have been an Oilers fan since a kid, Back to the Oilers inception TYVM. Not going to be called a troll or told to cheer for another team. There is no drinking out of the cup without depth. This is a team game and we lost two good YOUNG upcoming players because there is little opportunity or $ to move up. Our top players get all of the ice time and they get paid, scraps for everyone else. Said it for 2 weeks, not optimal and NOT a winning solution.

If you want two stars and a great reg season team by all means. Be like the Leafs. Yes it beats the decade of darkness. You need much more to win when it counts and we took a step back today. Hollywood/Broberg/Foegele/Clouder, so many speedy players gone. Poof. No one is happy, same for me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not if Drai wants 13-14 and McD 15-16, Bouch 10+, Nurse already overpaid. Young players don't see their way up and are taking the $, Blues are paying for their potential to contradict what you said. I agree Henrique and Brown took less $. Have been an Oilers fan since a kid, Back to the Oilers inception TYVM. Not going to be called a troll or told to cheer for another team. There is no drinking out of the cup without depth. This is a team game and we lost two good YOUNG upcoming players because there is little opportunity or $ to move up. Our top players get all of the ice time and they get paid, scraps for everyone else. Said it for 2 weeks, not optimal and NOT a winning solution.

If you want two stars and a great reg season team by all means. Be like the Leafs. Yes it beats the decade of darkness. You need much more to win when it counts and we took a step back today. Hollywood/Broberg/Foegele/Clouder, so many speedy players gone. Poof. No one is happy, same for me.
Foegele and McLeod couldn't gtfo of here fast enough IMO. You don't win with those guys. You also don't win by overpaying the crap out of a kid that has as small of a track record at his age that Broberg has. Broberg has had many ups and downs and could very well have more on the way. Holloway I have time for if things can be smoothed out with his teammates. He should at least live up to the Blues valuation. Broberg can go either way.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Foegele and McLeod couldn't gtfo of here fast enough IMO. You don't win with those guys. You also don't win by overpaying the crap out of a kid that has as small of a track record at his age that Broberg has. Broberg has had many ups and downs and could very well have more on the way. Holloway I have time for if things can be smoothed out with his teammates. He should at least live up to the Blues valuation. Broberg can go either way.
You win with speed and skill. There is 4 players gone now. Bam, like that. Sure, lets keep going.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

You, sir, are a broken record.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
You, sir, are a broken record.
Thanks for not being a jerk, you see the results of what happened today. Can't even keep our players while our top 2 guys are cheap. The record sounds better now once you realize $ doesn't grow on trees. Hate it like all Oilers fans.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You win with speed and skill. There is 4 players gone now. Bam, like that. Sure, lets keep going.
Speed, skill, GRIT and the WILL to WIN. We aren't missing much with the loss of McLeod and Foegle. Holloway has more check marks on the above and would be a potentially big loss if he's ready to take a step forward.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Thanks for not being a jerk, you see the results of what happened today. Can't even keep our players while our top 2 guys are cheap. The record sounds better now once you realize $ doesn't grow on trees. Hate it like all Oilers fans.
I think you're making the assumption that we would have more cap space if our team were less top heavy, but that is a fallacy.

If the Oilers didn't have their superstars, they would just be paying other players more and would still be in the same cap crunch when the offer sheets were made.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So we can pretty much all agree Draisaitl will remain unsigned for Atleast the next 7 days?

Or just announce the Drai signing now like we give zero f***s. I’m sure Drai would be sassy and state how he left money on the table to win unlike other players lol. Then we wait until August 20 to announce if we matched or not. Keep Broberg, Holloway and the Blues waiting.

Reactions: Canovin and Oildrum

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
No it isn't and you have proof right before your eyes. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. This is how it works. Top guys getting near max $ (or projected to), nothing left for the other good players, especially the young ones that we need that get very little ice time or PP time. What are they going to look forward to as youngins? Loss of 2 good cheaper players in the scheme of things. Case closed from 2 weeks ago. Just a troll, not a long time Oilers fan realizing the cap is an issue.
I'm trying to parse this sentence.

Interesting in anycase that the power surge in your posting is about a Draisaitl contract. Another one topic poster.

Reactions: oilers'72

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
I'm trying to parse this sentence.

Interesting in anycase that the power surge in your posting is about a Draisaitl contract. Another one topic poster.
Have not had time to post on the other topics. Is that ok with you? Did you add to the convo instead of just directing something at someone? Anyhow.

All I said, this is why I am not a fan of paying the top guys all the money, leaving 3/4 of the team with the rest. You get cap strapped. You need to squeeze Holloway and Broberg just like we did with McLeod paying him 875k the one year. If reports are correct that Broberg wanted 1.8x2 and Holloway 1.2 x1 and you prioritize everyone before them and/or you try to squeeze them because there is no $ left this is what happens.

Don't pay the core all the $, spread things out better. We are a target as we can see and Drai/Bouch haven't even signed their deals yet. I would let Bro/Holly walk. Maybe we can sign Schultz or Barrie for cheap to replace Broberg.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
I see this thread has been hi jacked by a complete moron.

Don’t re-sign Mcdavid and Draisaitl. Thats the way to win.
Never said that once.

Why did we get targeted by St Louis? Everyone wants to call names and argue without taking accountability. Not to mention twisting things or putting words in my mouth. Hmmm why did this happen? We are we an easy target? Yeah.

We are capped strapped, trying to squeeze our good young players. Top guys make all the money. Huge contracts to hand out still. We can't match unless we clear cap and Kane on LTIR is only for part of the season so only buying some time.

I would like to avoid our 3 top guys taking up so much of the cap. If the long term posters don't like it that's too bad. We just lost 3 good players as cap casualties, fast young ones. Savoie may pan out, if he can stay healthy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Never said that once.

Why did we get targeted by St Louis? Everyone wants to call names and argue without taking accountability. Not to mention twisting things or putting words in my mouth. Hmmm why did this happen? We are we an easy target? Yeah.

We are capped strapped, trying to squeeze our good young players. Top guys make all the money. Huge contracts to hand out still. We can't match unless we clear cap and Kane on LTIR is only for part of the season so only buying some time.

I would like to avoid our 3 top guys taking up so much of the cap. If the long term posters don't like it that's too bad. We just lost 3 good players as cap casualties, fast young ones. Savoie may pan out, if he can stay healthy.

The Nurse deal.

The Campbell contract.

The Brown bonus laden contract.

Even really the Henrique contract.

Are what tied our hands with Broberg and Holloway.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Never said that once.

This isn’t anything new, every cup contending team eventually runs into cap issues that cost them good players, be it Chicago, Tampa, Colorado, Vegas. It comes with the territory of being a strong team.

There are a few key points that made things worse for Edmonton, first their ascension to contender status came at a time when the salary cap had been flat for 3 years and is artificially lower then it should be. Based on revenue this year and how the cap is calculated the cap realistically should be in the mid 90’s range at least. Second, losing Klefbom unexpectedly, who was rounding into a top 2-3 defender signed at a great cap long term, was also a gut punch, only to see Larsson walk the following off season. Those are pretty big blows for an organization that was already thin at the position, the result was their leverage in Nurse negotiations evaporating because for a team trying to compete, losing your only legitimate top 4 defender after already losing the other two was not an option.

Finally, it’s not like the Oilers were trying to squeeze these young guys, who had been vital contributors, into taking significantly less money then they were worth. Were they trying to get them to take a bit of a haircut? Definitely but nothing egregiously low for a couple players who haven’t shown a consistent ability to contribute and are still very much question marks. The issue is that another GM who’s team is in a different stage then the Oilers had the ability to offer them ludicrously more then they are worth and take that risk. The Oilers as a contender don’t have that luxury because they can’t afford to spend 7M on a couple guys they aren’t even sure are ready to play the role that kind of cap hit would dictate on a contender.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Never said that once.

One of the realities of a salary cap system is that top teams will lose good players. This happened in droves to the Hawks, it happened year after year in Tampa, it happened to Colorado and to Vegas. Frankly as much as it pains to see the potential lose of Holloway and Borberg, the fact is that pretty much all of the teams above lost better and more consequential players to cap issues. You can argue that it is because they paid their stars too much but every team in the league recognizes that your stars contribute far more to winning than the depth guys do.

There is a claim that depth wins championships. To a degree there is truth to this in the sense that if you have significant weaknesses in the line-up they can be exploited and hurt you. The problem is that what is never stated is that in order for depth to really make a difference it is almost always the case that a team's top end guys need to be top end players. That is to say, you can win without top end talent period. (Ok maybe it is possible, see Carolina, but it is extremely rare.) And if you have top end talent the more depth the better, but if your top end is good enough you can get away with a lot more holes.

Every team in the league prioritizes paying their best players over their depth. In the Oilers case, they have the best player in the world and a guy who has consistently been in lists of the top 5 for years. They should be paid accordingly. If Leon gets $13.5M I will bet dollars to doughnuts that by the middle of his deal there will be a significant number of lesser players earning very close to or more than that. McDavid can make $14.5M and I'll bet that by 2028-29 Matthews will make more.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
One of the realities of a salary cap system is that top teams will lose good players. This happened in droves to the Hawks, it happened year after year in Tampa, it happened to Colorado and to Vegas. Frankly as much as it pains to see the potential lose of Holloway and Borberg, the fact is that pretty much all of the teams above lost better and more consequential players to cap issues. You can argue that it is because they paid their stars too much but every team in the league recognizes that your stars contribute far more to winning than the depth guys do.

There is a claim that depth wins championships. To a degree there is truth to this in the sense that if you have significant weaknesses in the line-up they can be exploited and hurt you. The problem is that what is never stated is that in order for depth to really make a difference it is almost always the case that a team's top end guys need to be top end players. That is to say, you can win without top end talent period. (Ok maybe it is possible, see Carolina, but it is extremely rare.) And if you have top end talent the more depth the better, but if your top end is good enough you can get away with a lot more holes.

Every team in the league prioritizes paying their best players over their depth. In the Oilers case, they have the best player in the world and a guy who has consistently been in lists of the top 5 for years. They should be paid accordingly. If Leon gets $13.5M I will bet dollars to doughnuts that by the middle of his deal there will be a significant number of lesser players earning very close to or more than that. McDavid can make $14.5M and I'll bet that by 2028-29 Matthews will make more.
All good points by you and Supreme. We would not have gone as far without our secondary scoring and depth though.

Still think cap should be more spread out. Which has been the debate lately. Think we were the oldest team in the league last year, and after losing Clouder/Holly/Broberg there is no doubt about it. We are getting older fast. Bouch is 25, McD if you can believe it is our 2nd youngest player at 27. All this $ will go to aging guys.

Can't deny what the Cats did, get rid of players getting older (closer to 30), pay the younger guy the big money and it worked out for them. I like this better. No I don't want to rid of Drai/McD, just need to make room and leave meat on the bone for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad