Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
If mcd and drai want to play their career as an oiler but make more money and drop our chance of getting a cup I don't care.

I would rather be blessed to watch all these years of drai and mcd than maybe win with some random nobodies.

It is not like the kind of game played by the oilers is even common. Even other top end talent don't make as many amazing plays as the oilers.

Once they are signed we don't have to hear the. Oh they are leaving to win somewhere else.

Keep them if at all possible and see what happens with the cups

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
And we have no idea how Drai would do on a less stacked team. We do have a historically best PP. Lots of points. Go on another teams PP, Drai's performance would drop from this alone. Anyways, none of this matters. Already posted what the top 4 players should make (if you want the best chance to win) and an article on what the 2 highest paid players should be at with all the stats since 2005. Just want our team to win, we all do.

At the beginning of the summer, like most fans just said pay these guys what they want. Dig a little deeper, there's stats on what cup winners do. The high from a couple days ago for the 4 highest paid players on a cup winner was 47% (lower to mid 40's is better). For the two highest paid players the average is 23.1% of the cap going back to 2005. No one has won a cup making 30% of the cap (two best paid guys). No one likes to hear this, including myself.

Like it or not, if both McD and Drai aim for 15% of the cap each, our chances go down. It has never been done. It's just a discussion, not sure why it's called trolling. And these are facts, not opinion or speculation.
Here are the things I do know about Draisaitl. Having watched this team since 72 I'd say that he is in the top 4 for the most purely talented players to ever wear the uniform. I'd put Gretzky and McDavid ahead of him of course but then the only other guy who might be more purely talented was Coffey. Draisaitl was voted by his peers as the best passer in the league. Watching him over the years that is fully deserved. And on top of that he ahs become one of the best snipers in the league, a skill that he developed explicitly to mesh fully with McDavid. Those goals he scores on the pp are not simply a product of McDavid. There may only be a handful of players in the league who could even come close to duplicating that skill. And those guys all get paid close to the same amount without his passing skills.

Next off the only combination of players in the cap era that could reasonably rival McDavid and Draisaitl as a pair are Crosby and Malkin. And they won when the two combined for 26% of the cap. If McDavid and Draisaitl come in at $28M or less as I expect then that is 28.8% of the cap. But what you continue to ignore by fixating only on the top 2 or top 4 is that if you go to the top 6 players on the two teams all of a sudden the numbers are pretty much equal but the Oilers top six are as good or better than the top six of many if not all teams that have won. And from there one could argue that the Oilers now have more flexibility in addressing their depth.

The reality is that if they simply removed Evander Kane from this group a guy who while valuable when healthy had little impact on the last run, the Oiler's cap issues almost completely disappear over the next few years and then from then an increasing cap makes the situation better every subsequent year.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here is the things I do know about Draisaitl. Having watched this team since 72 I'd say that he is in the top 4 for the most purely talented players to ever wear the uniform. I'd put Gretzky and McDavid ahead of him of course but then the only other guy who might be more purely talented was Coffey. Draisaitl was voted by his peers as the best passer in the league. Watching him over the years that is fully deserved. And on top of that he ahs become one of the best snipers in the league, a skill that he developed explicitly to mesh fully with McDavid. Those goals he scores on the pp are not simply a product of McDavid. There may only be a handful of players in the league who could even come close to duplicating that skill. And those guys all get paid close to the same amount without his passing skills.

Next off the only combination of players in the cap era that could reasonably rival McDavid and Draisaitl as a pair are Crosby and Malkin. And they won when the two combined for 26% of the cap. If McDavid and Draisaitl come in at $28M or less as I expect then that is 28.8% of the cap. But what you continue to ignore by fixating only on the top 2 or top 4 is that if you go to the top 6 players on the two teams all of a sudden the numbers are pretty much equal but the Oilers top six are as good or better than the top six of many if not all teams that have won. And from there one could argue that the Oilers now have more flexibility in addressing their depth.

The reality is that if they simply removed Evander Kane from this group a guy who while valuable when healthy had little impact on the last run, the Oiler's cap issues almost completely disappear over the next few years and then from then an increasing cap makes the situation better every subsequent year.
Kane out eventually
Brown's 3.25 mill cap overage gone
Neal's 1.9 buyout penalty gone

Basically pays for Draisaitl and Bouchard's raises. Then you have a rising cap which will cover McDavid.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If mcd and drai want to play their career as an oiler but make more money and drop our chance of getting a cup I don't care.

I would rather be blessed to watch all these years of drai and mcd than maybe win with some random nobodies.

It is not like the kind of game played by the oilers is even common. Even other top end talent don't make as many amazing plays as the oilers.

Once they are signed we don't have to hear the. Oh they are leaving to win somewhere else.

Keep them if at all possible and see what happens with the cups
It was pretty fun watching Gags Cogliano and Nilsson do their thing while losing too, but id rather the cup/cups.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Kane out eventually
Brown's 3.25 mill cap overage gone
Neal's 1.9 buyout penalty gone

Basically pays for Draisaitl and Bouchard's raises. Then you have a rising cap which will cover McDavid.
Don't forget S.Skinner, Broberg, Holloway, Savoie will want to be paid. And then you need to replace Kane, Henrique, Skinner, Kulak, Ceci, Elkholm... Our cupboards are not exactly full so Oil will need to dip into FA.
There are going to be issues no matter if Leon is paid 12 or 15 million. Hopefully Bowman has learnt a few things on what not to do.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yes riding McD's coat tails was way too strong but getting a nice bump/boost playing with McD is fair. He would be on par with other superstars. He is not as good and accomplished as MacKinnon so in my opinion he should be paid the same or less, not more.

Don't think my opinion is out to lunch at all. Even with McD/Nurse as the two highest paid players last year 12.5/9.25 we were well above average for all the cup winners in the cap era. You guys can read the following or not, there is a chart to show the stats. Players eating too much of the cap do not usually win cups because you cannot surround the team, it is just not optimal.

There is no bigger Stauffer dick-rider than David Staples… Bob can tweet out a fart and Staples would write an article about it
Who cares what he says

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I already posted this in the rumours thread but I'll post it here too:

Seravalli seems very encouraging on oilers now about Leon.

It seems like, at least to me, that it was 8 years always. Seravalli said the cap hit will surprise Oiler fans in a good way

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't forget S.Skinner, Broberg, Holloway, Savoie will want to be paid. And then you need to replace Kane, Henrique, Skinner, Kulak, Ceci, Elkholm... Our cupboards are not exactly full so Oil will need to dip into FA.
There are going to be issues no matter if Leon is paid 12 or 15 million. Hopefully Bowman has learnt a few things on what not to do.

No good team in a cap world keeps everyone, that's not just hockey but just about any pro sport with a cap.

The Oilers core pieces are McDavid, Draisaitl, Knoblaugh/Coffey (yes I'm putting them here very high up because they have brought an actual defensive structure to the team missing for basically all of McDavid's tenure here previous), Bouchard, Ekholm, Hyman.

All the other pieces you can rotate, even Skinner, like behind our much better defensive structure there's likely many goalies out there now that could do well here.

And there's cap coming off the books too, Ceci is another 3+ mill out, Kulak out opens cap, Jeff Skinner is a short term deal, Henrique out would clear more cap, Arvidsson, etc. etc. We don't have long term commitments here.

Even Nurse, I think it's two seasons until his full NMC is out the door and he becomes tradable. A 1.5 million retained if you already have McDavid/Drai committed and locked in to extensions, I would open the door to trading this dude eventually too. If we keep going deep in the playoffs some other team will want him him based on size and experience alone.

Then there's also the cap will keep rising. 5 mill this summer, lets say 4 mill next summer, and 3 mill the summer after that, even with a declining rate like that, that brings 7 million extra on to the cap that isn't there today.

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
No good team in a cap world keeps everyone, that's not just hockey but just about any pro sport with a cap.

The Oilers core pieces are McDavid, Draisaitl, Knoblaugh/Coffey (yes I'm putting them here very high up because they have brought an actual defensive structure to the team missing for basically all of McDavid's tenure here previous), Bouchard, Ekholm, Hyman.

All the other pieces you can rotate, even Skinner, like behind our much better defensive structure there's likely many goalies out there now that could do well here.

And there's cap coming off the books too, Ceci is another 3+ mill out, Kulak out opens cap, Jeff Skinner is a short term deal, Henrique out would clear more cap, Arvidsson, etc. etc. We don't have long term commitments here.

Even Nurse, I think it's two seasons until his full NMC is out the door and he becomes tradable. A 1.5 million retained if you already have McDavid/Drai committed and locked in to extensions, I would open the door to trading this dude eventually too. If we keep going deep in the playoffs some other team will want him him based on size and experience alone.

Then there's also the cap will keep rising. 5 mill this summer, lets say 4 mill next summer, and 3 mill the summer after that, even with a declining rate like that, that brings 7 million extra on to the cap that isn't there today.
All of the above and players are taking less to play in Edmonton, because they get to play with Draisaitl and McDavid. There is confidence the Oilers can win the cup, that's undeniable.

This is why the newcomers are desperate to invert logic with their unconventional perspectives... suggesting all other NHL teams wouldn't want Draisaitl and McDavid on their clubs unless they were underpaid.

The mental gymnastics used to justify not having both Draisaitl and McDavid on one team because it might cost too much is absurd. The worst scenario is you get to watch Draisaitl and McDavid playing on your favorite hockey club for another decade.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
For the people who want a team with no stars and want to go back to the pre-McDavid days, you'll get your chance at that again one day and you had a good 20+ years of that before hand.

So as far I'm concerned for now ... you can sit down and shut the f*** up. Enjoy a Cup contending team if you want, or not. Up to you.
Strawman much? People who don’t want to overpay for drai, or any player, may want to win the cup also.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Panarins deal was 14.29% of the cap. An equivalent for Leon would be $13.3M. Pasta would be $12.5M. So those deals easily support Leon in the $13-14.5M range.

Scheifele and Larkin are not even in the same stratosphere as Draisiatl in terms of what they have accomplished. In fact Larkin is closer to Nuge than Draisaitl. Over the last 5 years for example Draisaitl has 222 goals and 538pts (2nd most) in the regular season and 35 goals and 92 points (3rd most) in the playoffs. He is also a +72 over that time. Scheiifele has 146 goals and 346 points (-16) with 5 goals and 12 points in the playoffs while Larkin has 125 goals and 293 points and did not play a playoff game. Nuge by the way has 104 goals and 317 points over the same period and 17 goals and 57 points in the playoffs. Of course Nuge has played with Leon and McDavid, but he also makes $5.125M.

You are also completely ignoring the fact that wee seem to be on the verge of a big salary reset. This is why I pointed to the contract of Brock Faber who is going to be paid more than Quinn Hughes and just a hair less than Cale Makar.
However it’s not what you have done, but what you are going to do that the oilers have to consider.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’ve already posted my prediction earlier and I think it’s even more likely to come true after hearing the recent rumours.

Drai gets McDavid’s old contract at 12.5M and McDavid signs next year for a modest increase at 13.5M.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
However it’s not what you have done, but what you are going to do that the oilers have to consider.
Of course. But what you have done is by far the best predictor of what you will do. The Oilers focus should be on the core of McDavid's time as an Oiler. He has at least 6-7 years left of top flight play. Draisaitl should be good to go for most of those years even with some regression.

Bottom line: Great players will get paid. And you win with great players not depth. Depth simply makes winning with great players easier.

Reactions: alanschu

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
There is no bigger Stauffer dick-rider than David Staples… Bob can tweet out a fart and Staples would write an article about it
Who cares what he says
To make it worse, people forget that Bob isn’t even media, he’s a paid infomercial and readily admits it.
Not that it makes it bad to write stories about his tweets but it’s highly possible that many of his tweets are thrown out there to gauge public opinion

I’ve already posted my prediction earlier and I think it’s even more likely to come true after hearing the recent rumours.

Drai gets McDavid’s old contract at 12.5M and McDavid signs next year for a modest increase at 13.5M.
START THE CAR!!!
START THE CAR!!!!

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I have an amount I'd like to see Draisaitl receive but I have no control over that. What the f*** difference does it make what I say the max amount would be?

If Draisaitl leaves I will no longer have any interest in following the NHL.

You're not convincing anyone that moving Draisaitl for a crap return, and that's what you'll get no matter how anyone tries to sugar coat it, is a good idea.
You don't sound like an Oiler fan but a fan of winning (or a Draisaitl fan?) ...

All the years of sucking at least the Oilers existed. Should be happy we have a team to root for and talk about and to entertain us.

You will be missed by some.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You don't sound like an Oiler fan but a fan of winning (or a Draisaitl fan?) ...

All the years of sucking at least the Oilers existed. Should be happy we have a team to root for and talk about and to entertain us.

You will be missed by some.
The NHL under Bettman is complete bullshit.

Listen, you've only got so much time. Be wise how you spend it.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

This sounds reasonable but I think McDavid will want a bigger increase. More separation from Draisaitl.

Draisaitl 12.5

McDavid 14.5 - 15
Bouchard 10 - 11

Broberg signs short-term to up his value
Holloway unknown needs to show more
Little Skinner will leave for greener pastures
Big Skinner 6

Winning a cup may change things a bit with the lower cost guys, big Skinner and Broberg wanting more. I think Bouchard is getting 10 or 11 regardless.

We need a bigger cap or there will be problems and we will have to trade someone.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
This sounds reasonable but I think McDavid will want a bigger increase. More separation from Draisaitl.

Draisaitl 12.5

McDavid 14.5 - 15
Bouchard 10 - 11

Broberg signs short-term to up his value
Holloway unknown needs to show more
Little Skinner will leave for greener pastures
Big Skinner 6

Winning a cup may change things a bit with the lower cost guys, big Skinner and Broberg wanting more. I think Bouchard is getting 10 or 11 regardless.

We need a bigger cap or there will be problems and we will have to trade someone.
There’s a great chance that draisaitl will get a million more than that
Bouchard will be very interesting to see. He’s worth 7 or 8 but you almost need to pay him more than nurse now
Broberg and Holloway are signed.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Yeah well there it is, I don't like it, we all don't like it. Top players taking all of the bag, we have young players not wanting just the scraps. Super annoyed but things can be done. Goes to show top 5 or 10 players do no run all the show. Super pissy, see what happens.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah well there it is, I don't like it, we all don't like it. Top players taking all of the bag, we have young players not wanting just the scraps. Super annoyed but things can be done. Goes to show top 5 or 10 players do no run all the show. Super pissy, see what happens.
All of the bag would be McDavid taking league max and Drai a million $ less than that.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
All of the bag would be McDavid taking league max and Drai a million $ less than that.
No it isn't and you have proof right before your eyes. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. This is how it works. Top guys getting near max $ (or projected to), nothing left for the other good players, especially the young ones that we need that get very little ice time or PP time. What are they going to look forward to as youngins? Loss of 2 good cheaper players in the scheme of things. Case closed from 2 weeks ago. Just a troll, not a long time Oilers fan realizing the cap is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad