Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Very slow - there is no deception.

Good vision and passing but not great stick handling. He loses the puck quite easily if his butt is not between the opposing player and his stick.

Lots of similarities to Penner...I'm a nutshell, Penner was better stick handler, Leon, better passer.

Leon not very aggressive. Hit somebody !

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'm liking those lines. Good mix of vet and youth on each line

Offside faceoff, your opponent throws their top line out. It's Kopitar or Thornton or something. Which line do you put out there?

Nuge-Eberle can't suffer a 20 year old sophomore if they're going to play PVP. They need Pouliot.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Very slow - there is no deception.

Good vision and passing but not great stick handling. He loses the puck quite easily if his butt is not between the opposing player and his stick.

Lots of similarities to Penner...I'm a nutshell, Penner was better stick handler, Leon, better passer.

Leon not very aggressive. Hit somebody !

You hit people when you don't have the puck.

Leon always has the puck.

Ergo, no hits.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I hate the idea of Draisaitl on the wing.

I think he brings more value as a #3C that carries a line rather than a 2nd line winger.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013

I think he brings more value as a #3C that carries a line rather than a 2nd line winger.

I agree, he needs to play center and have to right type of wingers who complement his style. He's a unique talent.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I agree with what you are saying in principle because Leon is such a good center but you are missing the mechanics of playing him on the wing.

He is a better center but he is not a better NHL player. He still needs to fully adjust to the NHL games speed and size. That will be a lot easier if he is on the wing. Plus he will get more ice time as the second line winger than third line center. Plus he will have more flexibility to have experienced players playing with him at all times on the wing.

Also in actual game situations he will be called in to fill in on draws/play center often enough that will still be developed. Because he knows face offs he will have further insight into getting winger wins. Plus his skill set/size has some pretty sweet advantages on the wing as well.

In short there is a reason why many top prospects are brought in on the wing to develop in their first year or two.

The game dynamics of having two centers on a line is incredibly advantageous so I have no issues with him starting as a part time center and maybe even staying a part time winger as long as we start winning.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His vision is really, really, really good.

I have to say even above RNH and maybe even McDavid (gulp) when I see he has the puck on the half wall on a PP or even a rush, I almost feel like it's an automatic scoring chance because he's going to make something of it.

He just seems to be very adept at holding the puck for any extra half second that creates just enough time and space for a perfect feed to someone else.

I think he's maybe more like Henrik Sedin than Joe Thornton.

Last edited:

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
He can really pass the puck with that paddle of a stick blade, slows the game down around him so well. He looks a bit quicker and stronger already, you can definitely see improvement from last year. Really good wall work. He had a lazy change during a Flames 2 on 1 that looked pretty bad, need to hustle back to the bench.

He's close to being NHL ready for sure. I think it's probably smart to send him down for a bit, but too early to be saying that still.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
His vision is really, really, really good.

I have to say even above RNH and maybe even McDavid (gulp) when I see he has the puck on the half wall on a PP or even a rush, I almost feel like it's an automatic scoring chance because he's going to make something of it.

He just seems to be very adept at holding the puck for any extra half second that creates just enough time and space for a perfect feed to someone else.

I think he's maybe more like Henrik Sedin than Joe Thornton.

Henrik feeds off his teammates better (possibly just a function of of having another self with Daniel). Draisaitl doesn't seem as much a cycle guy.

In my head here's the difference: with the Sedin's you can see the play develop. Like a train wreck you know is coming but just can't stop it.

Draisaitl seems to be going about his business and then all of a sudden hits a guy that know one on the ice even knew was there. He's not cycling it a hundred times with a teammate waiting for the defender to come down and leave the slot open. He's just ragging the puck and all of a sudden someones open and the pass is there. It's a unique ability. Hemsky was able to find people like that too (beyond that ability almost nothing alike in their games).

oilz89*

He is a Center and will play Center in the NHL. If people know hockey, they know that the way Drais plays is exactly how a dependable center plays.

if he is put on the wing he can go harder on the walls but as a center he is offense and defense support at all times.

his game is terrific and ALWAYS in perfect support position for both directions.

Exactly. Some people think hockeys only played a certain way. There's different ways some people play, like Leon.

oilz89*

I'd rather have a player who tries for a stick check while maintaining good defensive position above the puck than a guy who pulls himself out of position chasing big hits and leaks odd man chances the other way, but YMMV. :P

yeah and its a young stars prospect tournament :laugh:. I don't think he had much to show in this game anyway. Guy played 3 games in 3.5 days

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think he could be our Jordan Staal. Elite #3 center who can chip in offensively and is very reliable defensively. I believe the Penguins won their cup with Crosby, Malkin, and Staal down the middle (correct me if I'm wrong)

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think he could be our Jordan Staal. Elite #3 center who can chip in offensively and is very reliable defensively. I believe the Penguins won their cup with Crosby, Malkin, and Staal down the middle (correct me if I'm wrong)
Drai should be in the top 6. Even if it's as a winger

oilz89*

Henrik feeds off his teammates better (possibly just a function of of having another self with Daniel). Draisaitl doesn't seem as much a cycle guy.

In my head here's the difference: with the Sedin's you can see the play develop. Like a train wreck you know is coming but just can't stop it.

Draisaitl seems to be going about his business and then all of a sudden hits a guy that know one on the ice even knew was there. He's not cycling it a hundred times with a teammate waiting for the defender to come down and leave the slot open. He's just ragging the puck and all of a sudden someones open and the pass is there. It's a unique ability. Hemsky was able to find people like that too (beyond that ability almost nothing alike in their games).

Agreed. Haven't had a great passer like that since the days of Hemsky in his prime.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Pens fans overrated the **** out of Staal using the ol' "he's stuck behind Malkin and Crosby" nonsense, but he was never really that good. Drai has much better vision and passing than Jordan Staal ever did. He'll be way better offensively.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I still maintain LD will be in the top 6 with Mcdavid and they will create a hybrid center role for LD

LD will play in the D zone as a center and allow McDavid to stay higher in the zone so he cant be shadowed or trapped low. LD will play down low and assist the D and theyll get the puck to McDavid (LD is very good down low and supreme passing) to lead the rush out

Then in O zone McDavid will play center role and LD on the wing (where hell be at home along the boards)

Similar with what Strome was doing in Eerie

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Pens fans overrated the **** out of Staal using the ol' "he's stuck behind Malkin and Crosby" nonsense, but he was never really that good. Drai has much better vision and passing than Jordan Staal ever did. He'll be way better offensively.

Look at junior production, LD was a clear step above. Staal was a beast defensively tho, but LD is getting up there

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Still makes you wonder how Staal was a 3rd overall pick

2nd actually. Ill still have no idea how he was picked over Toews, Kessel and Bakstrom. I didnt follow prospects in 2006 but Toews and Kessel seemed like far better prospects even at 17/18

Imagine a center core of Crosby/Malkin/Toews... Thats one of the best all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad