Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
he's like Penner in a way, but people have to realize the big guys have to preserve their energy. It takes more calories of energy to move a big body, so over a whole game, they can be out of gas as compared to a small guy.

Ever notice how few big men there are in Soccer and how many guys there are under 5'10" ? Basic math. Less energy required. (could this be part of the reason Anaheim keeps losing in game 7?)

He is nothing like Penner.

As someone else mentioned he is so good positionally and thinks the game so well he looks lazy. He prefers to take away passing lanes instead of taking the body. Gives him a ridiculous amount of take aways. But when he does take the body he does it exceptionally well and typically ends up with the puck as well.

Penner actually was lazy and wouldn't even take away the passing lanes. Despite his size he seemed to lose his puck battles far too often as well.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

As someone else mentioned he is so good positionally and thinks the game so well he looks lazy. He prefers to take away passing lanes instead of taking the body. Gives him a ridiculous amount of take aways. But when he does take the body he does it exceptionally well and typically ends up with the puck as well.

Penner actually was lazy and wouldn't even take away the passing lanes. Despite his size he seemed to lose his puck battles far too often as well.

Big frame, first step and edge issues along with a stride that looked like he wasn't skating at full pace, great distributor of the puck, especially while shielding it with his back/butt, and is known to float from time to time whether in position or not?

I wouldn't say he's "nothing like Penner," whatsoever here. There are some clear traits that are related. It's not a knock on either player.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Big frame, first step and edge issues along with a stride that looked like he wasn't skating at full pace, great distributor of the puck, especially while shielding it with his back/butt, and is known to float from time to time whether in position or not?

I wouldn't say he's "nothing like Penner," whatsoever here. There are some clear traits that are related. It's not a knock on either player.

Agree, there are some similarities.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

No, Penner did not lose puck battles that often. Penner was a dominant power forward when used correctly and motivated.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I don't remember Penner being a great distributor of the puck though.

Penner was more like your typical inconsistent power forward (ala Brad Isbister, Chris Stewart), in that when he tried he could be dominant but he wouldn't try all the time.

Drai doesn't really play a power forward type of game at all. He's a finesse player in a big man's frame. The comparisons to Thornton or Kopitar are pretty apt.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don't remember Penner being a great distributor of the puck though.

Penner was more like your typical inconsistent power forward (ala Brad Isbister, Chris Stewart), in that when he tried he could be dominant but he wouldn't try all the time.

Drai doesn't really play a power forward type of game at all. He's a finesse player in a big man's frame. The comparisons to Thornton or Kopitar are pretty apt.

I have a pretty good recollection of his ability to make passes in tight, but nothing like we're seeing with Draisaitl.

However, the comparisons with Penner that take into his account of skating style, shielding of the puck, floating from time to time etc. aren't that far off.

It's especially true when it comes to his skating. As I've said earlier in this thread, the kid has "Penner legs." Long, full strides, but a decent high speed. Penner could keep up with Hemsky at near-full flight. That's nothing to scoff at, especially for Dustin's size. I could see Draisaitl keeping up with the likes of RNH and Eberle without a problem. It's just those first steps, and his stride which makes him look like he's giving 60% effort.

Reactions: Paddy Padlock

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I can't complain about that game in the slightest. He was absolutely dominant regardless of what one's perception of his effort was. He's on a completely different level than MDC, who was taken 2 spots after him.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Lucky to play 1 game? Really?:laugh:

I just assumed he's not old enough to remember them. Marchment despite being dirty as all hell was actually a pretty good dman. Bucky was the human punching bag and certainly didn't bring a whole lot besides energy but he could score a bit, PK, and be a pain in the ass to play against.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have a pretty good recollection of his ability to make passes in tight, but nothing like we're seeing with Draisaitl.

However, the comparisons with Penner that take into his account of skating style, shielding of the puck, floating from time to time etc. aren't that far off.

It's especially true when it comes to his skating. As I've said earlier in this thread, the kid has "Penner legs." Long, full strides, but a decent high speed. Penner could keep up with Hemsky at near-full flight. That's nothing to scoff at, especially for Dustin's size. I could see Draisaitl keeping up with the likes of RNH and Eberle without a problem. It's just those first steps, and his stride which makes him look like he's giving 60% effort.

I don't see it tbh.

Penner could be as good as a prime Todd Bertuzzi when he was on, playing a very typical power forward game. He had some finesse to his game but his game was more traditional north-south and driving the net.

Drai as I said plays a much more finesse style and looks to distribute first as an instinct before driving the net like a traditional power forward does.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don't see it tbh.

Penner could be as good as a prime Todd Bertuzzi when he was on, playing a very typical power forward game. He had some finesse to his game but his game was more traditional north-south and driving the net.

Drai as I said plays a much more finesse style and looks to distribute first as an instinct before driving the net like a traditional power forward does.

You don't see the "Penner legs". It's basically his biggest criticism on these boards.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's pretty much it exactly.

You can see it in this thread.

Leon wasn't going balls to the walls the whole game and needs to pick up his intensity.
Leon needs to work on his game away from the puck because he doesn't look to be working hard enough.

He was the best player in the game disregarding the Oshawa goalie.
It wasn't close.

His style is going get a lot of hate from Oiler fans. Just look at this thread.
Best player in the game.. and floater posts.
It will go from gentle criticism like it is now to full out hate for the guy over the years.

Can't speak for the others but I'm not a hater at all, just posting a criticism of his game.
It reminds me of any past Yakupov criticism. Any ciritcism of him and you're a hater all of a sudden.

He's going to have to learn how to handle the puck in tight quarters at the NHL level. It's something that he struggles with a bit even at the junior level. Gets knocked off the puck easily and doesn't go and retrieve the puck enough IMO.
I've rarely seen him engage in a cycle game which is fine in junior because a lot of junior games are played in transition but in the NHL, you need to be able to win puck battles and play an effective cycle game. It's one of the reasons why the Oilers young players struggle so much, because they are easy to shut down when the game isn't played at an up and down pace.

He's great in space and on the rush when the defense is in retreat mode, but he needs to gain some strength in his lower body so he can balance himself better when he's getting checked hard. I'm sure that it's something that he can develop over time and it's a big positive to have a coach like McLellan guide him but as of now, I think he'll struggle at the NHL level until he gains more strength in his legs and is able to fend off defenders while protecting the puck.

Leon has a lot of good in his game but there are definitely things in his game that need to be ironed out in order for him to be a successful every day NHLer.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
No, Penner did not lose puck battles that often. Penner was a dominant power forward when used correctly and motivated.

Agree to disagree.

Penner was an excellent power forward on average 3 shifts a game and the rest was a guy who was either behind the play or losing puck battles. The guy most likely won't get another NHL contract and is only 32. He is lazy. Which is nothing like Leon intentionally slowing down the game and practically always being in position in both ends of the ice.

I can be accused of being too negative and dwelling on mistakes too much but when I see Penner praise like this I think the person must be a half glass full kind even when its really only a bit of backwash in the bottom.

I am of course exaggerating a bit, Penner had some really good stretched of hockey in his career, especially in the playoffs, but I think its safe to say he was more bad than good.

Don't matter how someone is "used" or "coached" if they have no self motivation within themselves period.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I just assumed he's not old enough to remember them. Marchment despite being dirty as all hell was actually a pretty good dman. Bucky was the human punching bag and certainly didn't bring a whole lot besides energy but he could score a bit, PK, and be a pain in the ass to play against.

He was talking about Todd Marchant, not Bryan Marchment.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I can't complain about that game in the slightest. He was absolutely dominant regardless of what one's perception of his effort was. He's on a completely different level than MDC, who was taken 2 spots after him.

Yeah, this was telling. I think Dal Colle is going to be a pretty great hockey player, but Draisaitl just looked like he was in another class altogether.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Agree to disagree.

Penner was an excellent power forward on average 3 shifts a game and the rest was a guy who was either behind the play or losing puck battles. The guy most likely won't get another NHL contract and is only 32. He is lazy. Which is nothing like Leon intentionally slowing down the game and practically always being in position in both ends of the ice.

I can be accused of being too negative and dwelling on mistakes too much but when I see Penner praise like this I think the person must be a half glass full kind even when its really only a bit of backwash in the bottom.

I am of course exaggerating a bit, Penner had some really good stretched of hockey in his career, especially in the playoffs, but I think its safe to say he was more bad than good.

Don't matter how someone is "used" or "coached" if they have no self motivation within themselves period.

He was the best player on the Oilers team the year after Mact left and was very good mact's last year even though he was firmly in the mact dog house. In any case this thread is not about the merits or demerits of Penner.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Agree to disagree.

Agree sort of. For me Penner was exactly like you say. Infuriating because when he was on he could be one of the most dominating wingers in the game. The problem was he couldn't keep up the intensity required night in and night out to play against top pairing defense.

Watching draisaitl on the other hand (this is from small sample size) he seems more like the kind of player that slows the game down as a choice not from any lack of motivation. The biggest problem I saw with him was he seems to have trouble know when to slow it down and when to push. And for me that is nitpicking and something you gain from experience. It's similar to darnell nurse how he was always forcing the play rather then letting it come to him but in reverse. Leon let's the play come to him sometimes to his own detriment. I really think Leon will be a much more consistent player then Penner especially once he knows when to force a play rather then let it develop

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He was the best player on the Oilers team the year after Mact left and was very good mact's last year even though he was firmly in the mact dog house. In any case this thread is not about the merits or demerits of Penner.

You mean the year he had 50 points in the first 40 games and then 10 the rest of the year? Can't remember the exact numbers but it was pretty lopsided. Did you only watch the first half perhaps?

Are you by chance a Lupul fan as well?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Because of McDavid, I don't think you'd have to worry, the spot light for Leon won't be a bright.

What you're describing is the "Pluggification" of the Canadian (Specifically Oilers) fans that Don Cherry and the not salary cap helped to perpetrate.

Basically a lot of people look at players, and if they don't "look" like they are going balls to the wall constantly, they're lazy, regardless of how good or effective that players actually is on the ice.

No it's not the whole constant hard play factor. Leon did look lazy or not interested for long periods. We all know he's got talent but does he have the heart, I dunno.

Jumbo Joe used to be described in the same way so hopefully LD's development trajectory is the same way.

Just because LD is a top prospect doesn't mean we all have to wear rosy glasses and absolve him of everything

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
You don't see the "Penner legs". It's basically his biggest criticism on these boards.

Penner is actually a terrible comparable for draisaitl, Penner played a completely different game than draisaitl, they're only similarity is size. Draisitl's game is a cerebral one, he thinks quickly and then acts, with the ability to slow the play down and forces defenders to over commit creating time and space for teammates. he has an incredibly high hockey IQ. Penner was your prototypical power forward, great on a cycle with above average scoring touch around the net, but was also prone to laziness. I live in prince albert and saw draisaitl live 50+ times, plus every game he played with oilers on TV, which we all saw, and lazy is the last word i would use to describe him.

Penner truely was a lazy player, draisaitl absolutely is not.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
No it's the whole constant factor. Leon did look lazy or not interested for long periods. We all know he's got talent but does he have the heart, I dunno.

Jumbo Joe used to be described in the same way so hopefully LD's development trajectory is the same way.

Just because LD is a top prospect doesn't mean we all have to wear rosy glasses and absolve him of everything

Jumbo jo didn't change how he played drastically he just started producing points maybe his compete went up a bit but that's true of almost all players not named crosby. And Leon will be similar. Watching him win memorial cup mvp did not leave me with the impression of lazy

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
No it's not the whole constant hard play factor. Leon did look lazy or not interested for long periods. We all know he's got talent but does he have the heart, I dunno.

Pre draft his coach stated that he thinks the game too fast for his teamates.
as such
he plays slower to allow them in the play.

It is funny that fans do not recognize that a longer leg stride covers more distance.
in movement a guy like Penner would cover the blue to blue distance in the same time as Cogliano.

It is the small body that has a much quicker start.

The larger body with strong base can control the puck better.

It is obvious to anyone with an ability to think sports at a high level that he was given orders to:
- work on his 2 way game.
- develop all facets of center play.
- PK and FO
The number of times he set-up the poorer thinking teamates in that final game.

Shooters like Slepyshev and Yakimov will be in heaven if Draisatl plays their right side.

It is often said at work, "People who question the character of a kid moving to small town Canada from Germany at 16, do no understand heart and character"

It is the trite anti-oiler rhetoric you get from the MTL; TOR; CGY; VCR media.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Pre draft his coach stated that he thinks the game too fast for his teamates.
as such
he plays slower to allow them in the play.

It is funny that fans do not recognize that a longer leg stride covers more distance.
in movement a guy like Penner would cover the blue to blue distance in the same time as Cogliano.

It is the small body that has a much quicker start.

The larger body with strong base can control the puck better.

It is obvious to anyone with an ability to think sports at a high level that he was given orders to:
- work on his 2 way game.
- develop all facets of center play.
- PK and FO
The number of times he set-up the poorer thinking teamates in that final game.

Shooters like Slepyshev and Yakimov will be in heaven if Draisatl plays their right side.

I'm fully aware of his skating abilities and how larger skaters tend to look "slower"

That has nothing to do with my argument. There were countless plays LD could've attacked the opposition player harder or protected a puck exiting the offensive zone but instead, he does this weak ass swipe. Perhaps he's tired, I dunno but definitely wasn't his best showing IMO.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Penner is actually a terrible comparable for draisaitl, Penner played a completely different game than draisaitl, they're only similarity is size. Draisitl's game is a cerebral one, he thinks quickly and then acts, with the ability to slow the play down and forces defenders to over commit creating time and space for teammates. he has an incredibly high hockey IQ. Penner was your prototypical power forward, great on a cycle with above average scoring touch around the net, but was also prone to laziness. I live in prince albert and saw draisaitl live 50+ times, plus every game he played with oilers on TV, which we all saw, and lazy is the last word i would use to describe him.

Penner truely was a lazy player, draisaitl absolutely is not.

Lol, my explanation of "Penner legs," has nothing to do with Draisaitl actually being lazy. His skating style is similar to that of Penner's, in which they both tend to look like they're giving less effort than they could when actually skating at full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad