Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
You're definitely not alone. I made a similar observation during the game.

I'm not getting all the praise either. He had some nice chances off the rush and obviously has great vision but he's way too content to play on the perimeter and when the space closes on him, he either gets knocked off the puck easily or is willing to give it up without much of a fight. Most of his chances came when Oshawa gave him the space to use his creativity.

I'd like to see him battle for pucks more and use his wide frame to protect the puck. Didn't see much of that in the Memorial Cup. For a big guy, he plays too small of a game IMO.
I think good coaching could coax this out of him or at least I hope. He's going to need to ramp up the intensity if he wants to fulfill his potential at the NHL level.

He is a Center and will play Center in the NHL. If people know hockey, they know that the way Drais plays is exactly how a dependable center plays.

if he is put on the wing he can go harder on the walls but as a center he is offense and defense support at all times.

his game is terrific and ALWAYS in perfect support position for both directions.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Lol, my explanation of "Penner legs," has nothing to do with Draisaitl actually being lazy. His skating style is similar to that of Penner's, in which they both tend to look like they're giving less effort than they could when actually skating at full speed.

mario lemieux looked lazy if you were merely looking at leg movement. with one stride from lemieux, plus reach he can basically cover nine feet in any direction in one movement. lemieux was underrated for his defensive game BECAUSE he didnt seem to move alot. Coffey,when asked about Gretzky, Yzerman and Lemieux and Lindros (lucky guy played with them all) said that Lemieuxs defensive game was the best and you wont get a lot of people who agree...because viewers who dont know hockey get attached to the action rather than the big picture.

we arent talking a piddly position like wing. this is centre. the position that makes championship teams.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
There were countless plays LD could've attacked the opposition player harder or protected a puck exiting the offensive zone but instead, he does this weak ass swipe.

I'd rather have a player who tries for a stick check while maintaining good defensive position above the puck than a guy who pulls himself out of position chasing big hits and leaks odd man chances the other way, but YMMV. :P

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He was talking about Todd Marchant, not Bryan Marchment.

That's just craziness, Todd Marchant was an excellent player a legit shutdown 3rd line center. I read it quickly and i just never would have thought anyone would describe Marchant as a fringe player.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
That's just craziness, Todd Marchant was an excellent player a legit shutdown 3rd line center. I read it quickly and i just never would have thought anyone would describe Marchant as a fringe player.

Agreed, and Buchberger was at least equal to Hendricks. Both bottom half of the roster players but completely legit NHL guys.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
mario lemieux looked lazy if you were merely looking at leg movement. with one stride from lemieux, plus reach he can basically cover nine feet in any direction in one movement. lemieux was underrated for his defensive game BECAUSE he didnt seem to move alot. Coffey,when asked about Gretzky, Yzerman and Lemieux and Lindros (lucky guy played with them all) said that Lemieuxs defensive game was the best and you wont get a lot of people who agree...because viewers who dont know hockey get attached to the action rather than the big picture.

we arent talking a piddly position like wing. this is centre. the position that makes championship teams.

You understand that I'm merely stating that his skating style, like Penner's, makes it look, seem, suggest, insinuate, have the qualities of looking lazy. I, in no way have stated that Draisaitl is a lazy player, outside of his obvious shifts in which he's floating, which is reasonable for a player of his development and age.

His first step is still awful, and his edges need years of work to play a similar game that he's displaying in the WHL in the big show. That said, whenever you read, "he looks lazy out there," which we see more than enough presently and have seen in the past on the mainboards or even GDTs here, a lot of it has to do with his style of skating (which I called "Penner legs," mainly because Penner's skating style IMO attributed heavily to the ideals of him being lazy.)

I really don't think I need to explain this furthee.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
I think McDavid probably gained a lot of respect for Nurse after playing against him in the O and with him on the WJC team. It's great to see them hitting it off so well. They are both going to be important players for us going forward.

Agreed.

Another important player... Draisaitl.

Have you checked out the interviews on oilers.nhl.com?

Out of any player, he's getting grilled... he's in a bit of an awkward spot, drafting McDavid puts him down the depth chart.

Not that he "deserves" anything, I'm a big believer in seasoning and earning your keep... but:

1) We rushed him.
2) We didn't let him go to the WJHC.
3) Made it public/obvious he's been pushed down the depth chart.
4) Asserted he should be a winger.

He seems a bit frustrated. The questions he was getting peppered with didn't help, either.

I believe he has the mental fortitude to keep with it, but I see some flags there.

Eirhead*

They keep talking to him about McDavid. The press needs to learn a bit of cooth.

Eirhead*

You understand that I'm merely stating that his skating style, like Penner's, makes it look, seem, suggest, insinuate, have the qualities of looking lazy. I, in no way have stated that Draisaitl is a lazy player, outside of his obvious shifts in which he's floating, which is reasonable for a player of his development and age.

His first step is still awful, and his edges need years of work to play a similar game that he's displaying in the WHL in the big show. That said, whenever you read, "he looks lazy out there," which we see more than enough presently and have seen in the past on the mainboards or even GDTs here, a lot of it has to do with his style of skating (which I called "Penner legs," mainly because Penner's skating style IMO attributed heavily to the ideals of him being lazy.)

I really don't think I need to explain this furthee.

I think what your seeing is big man syndrome. While Nuge can operate on maybe 3000 calories, Draisaitl probably needs 5000. He's going to take a bit longer to develop the endurance to go with his body, but I hardly think he's lazy. You could see he was used to taking longer shifts in junior, then with the Oilers his shifts got progressively shorter as he learnt what was required of an NHL player. You can see when he's powering out, but as he develops into a man, he'll get over that. He can probably get up to his junior scoring pace in the AHL on the top line. In 3 or 4 years time it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a more productive NHL centre than Nuge.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Agreed.

Another important player... Draisaitl.

Have you checked out the interviews on oilers.nhl.com?

Out of any player, he's getting grilled... he's in a bit of an awkward spot, drafting McDavid puts him down the depth chart.

Not that he "deserves" anything, I'm a big believer in seasoning and earning your keep... but:

1) We rushed him.
2) We didn't let him go to the WJHC.
3) Made it public/obvious he's been pushed down the depth chart.
4) Asserted he should be a winger.

He seems a bit frustrated. The questions he was getting peppered with didn't help, either.

I believe he has the mental fortitude to keep with it, but I see some flags there.

I like this kid ALOT. I concur though on seeing some frustration with the questions he has been getting.

i think he and ithers can see that there is a clean slate, new coaching staff, new gm, and new view on this team. he can take any job he can earn. its no lock mcdavid will play centre. its no lock lander will play centre. there are spots open and a new coach who will put guys where they can help the team now...and if they have to learn...they go down.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I like this kid ALOT. I concur though on seeing some frustration with the questions he has been getting.

i think he and ithers can see that there is a clean slate, new coaching staff, new gm, and new view on this team. he can take any job he can earn. its no lock mcdavid will play centre. its no lock lander will play centre. there are spots open and a new coach who will put guys where they can help the team now...and if they have to learn...they go down.

This. If I'm McLellan, I sit him down at the start of camp and say what league and what position you play in is 100% on you. Don't let the McHoopla distract you, and focus on playing your game to the best of your ability.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
The people trying to interpret Drai's expressions to questions about McDavid sure remind me a lot of all the people who were sure that the facial expressions of McDavid indicated that he was disappointed about the Oilers winning the lottery. When did all these hockey fans become accredited armchair psychologists?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Yeh, did not Marchant play more than 1000 games? Hardly a fringe player.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The people trying to interpret Drai's expressions to questions about McDavid sure remind me a lot of all the people who were sure that the facial expressions of McDavid indicated that he was disappointed about the Oilers winning the lottery. When did all these hockey fans become accredited armchair psychologists?

This is different. Half the questions theyre asking him are about McDavid. Until they are both securely on a team together, McDavid is standing in his way of his dream, and reporters are asking him more about Connor than himself. It's embarrassing.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Of course, we're all armchair GMs, coaches and psychologists, but watching his facial expressions and even his answers, he seems like a gracious young man trying not to get irritated at the questions.

"I've only known him for 24 hours" should be a warning sign for any good journalist.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Of course, we're all armchair GMs, coaches and psychologists, but watching his facial expressions and even his answers, he seems like a gracious young man trying not to get irritated at the questions.

"I've only known him for 24 hours" should be a warning sign for any good journalist.

lol. well said. he gives lots of responses that hint at "maybe interview me about me or leave me alone?". i hate when reporters ask players about other players repeatedly. maybe ask one question about another player but make sure it is relative to the guy you are interviewing. and leave it at one.

i miss the chris cuthburts of sports news. not many of those guys around anymore. its just like the terrible hideous tv that is on now. its just for the mindless mass. cancelled my tv a long long time ago.

glad to see he is taking this opportunity to get to know these guys and bring some sense of leadership to the group. he doesnt have a tonne of experience but this is how things work. a guy who has played forty games in the nhl will be looked at by all the other guys in that group. i think hed rather be focussed on his off season training (i talked to him and got that impression) than taking part in the prospects camp BUT he is looking at the bright side and embracing being one of the experienced guys that the others can ask questions of etc.

you take a look at Drai and Nurse...theyve had camps, theyve played nhl games, theyve played at high levels. drai won WHL and MEmcup mvp...while playing half a season in nhl. thats someone those guys can definitely lean on for questions.

Drai seems very very focussed on getting to his off season workouts and skate training. He is very VERY motivated. when i talked to him he was really disappointed in his season...and looking to be stronger and faster.
cant help but smile at a guy who cleaned up MVP ware and wasnt impressed with himself.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So it seems the idea is indeed to convert Draisaitl to a winger. Chiarelli said as much in his interview with Bobby Mac. Also seems he is likely to make opening night roster in the capacity of a winger, if he transitions well. I wonder where he slots in though. On the 3rd line with Lander and Purcell?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
TMs roles on a line aren't defined as stone as one might think.

The San Jose top line was 3 Centers.

Thornton Marleau and Hertl.

What it did was allow the line to be more dynamic and adaptable to the situation.

Thornton was the 'Centre' by title but you would often see him working the boards while Marleau or Hertl would cover the middle ice. Or the breakouts would allow crossovers depending on which dmen were on their offhands.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So it seems the idea is indeed to convert Draisaitl to a winger. Chiarelli said as much in his interview with Bobby Mac. Also seems he is likely to make opening night roster in the capacity of a winger, if he transitions well. I wonder where he slots in though. On the 3rd line with Lander and Purcell?
I could see Chia try and spread out vets with the youth for a smoother transition for all. Something like

Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - Purcell
Pouliot - Lander - Yak

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I could see Chia try and spread out vets with the youth for a smoother transition for all. Something like

Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - Purcell
Pouliot - Lander - Yak

I'm liking those lines. Good mix of vet and youth on each line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad