Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
2nd actually. Ill still have no idea how he was picked over Toews, Kessel and Bakstrom. I didnt follow prospects in 2006 but Toews and Kessel seemed like far better prospects even at 17/18

Imagine a center core of Crosby/Malkin/Toews... Thats one of the best all time

He got picked that high because he was Eric Staal's brother who had just won the Cup (bleh), if his last name was something else they probably take Toews. Probably good for the rest of the NHL that didn't happen.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Still makes you wonder how Staal was a 3rd overall pick

Well, he stepped right into the NHL immediately after the draft as a very young player (only 5 days away from cutoff date) and scored 29 goals and 42 points while being +16. That's pretty good to say the least. Also had 3 goals in 5 playoff games that year. His numbers are actually really good considering the role he had on the Pens and yeah, he won a Cup. Sure, he hasn't been great in Carolina but it's Carolina, they are not a very good team. Up until he joined that team he tracked very well, even as a 2nd overall pick, and he still has a number of years left to prove himself.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
After watching this tournament I have to say Draisaitl is my favourite prospect. Really fast when he wants to be, elite hockey iq, elite passing and big. I really think in a few years it will be draisaitl on the second line and not nugent Hopkins.

What impressed me from draisaitl today was that Cristoffer goal. He saw that player calling for it behind the net and draisaitl moved forward to give him more room. It didn't quite work out but it showed in my opinion how smart he is on the ice.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Top 9 of
Hall McDavid Eberle
Draisaitl Nuge Yakupov
Pouliot Lander Slepy

Drai and Nuge could rotate when needed

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Henrik feeds off his teammates better (possibly just a function of of having another self with Daniel). Draisaitl doesn't seem as much a cycle guy.

In my head here's the difference: with the Sedin's you can see the play develop. Like a train wreck you know is coming but just can't stop it.

Draisaitl seems to be going about his business and then all of a sudden hits a guy that know one on the ice even knew was there. He's not cycling it a hundred times with a teammate waiting for the defender to come down and leave the slot open. He's just ragging the puck and all of a sudden someones open and the pass is there. It's a unique ability. Hemsky was able to find people like that too (beyond that ability almost nothing alike in their games).

I agree. I just don't see the Sedin comparison. Henrik might just be the best in the league at cycling the puck, with how well he utilizes his teammates. Draisaitl has the same passing ability, and reads the game the same way, but that's the end of the comparison imo

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oooo baby

Hes a beast

I wouldnt be surprised to see him end up just as good as Hall and above RNH

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Drai is looking dominant, the best backhand pass for a player his age I have seen in a long time.

Top 6 :handclap::yo::handclap:

Pouliot/Draisaitl- Nuge - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - Draisaitl/Yakupov

SO much skill… it can't fail can it????

McDeathbyCheerios*

In defence of the people who said that last year he has improved a lot.
People just said he was slow period. He was always fast just **** acceleration which people didn't pay attention to.

That being said he did improve in strides since last year and his game looks much more dynamic because of it. I think he was the best forward in his draft imo, he as at least shown the most so far.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People just said he was slow period. He was always fast just **** acceleration which people didn't pay attention to.

That being said he did improve in strides since last year and his game looks much more dynamic because of it. I think he was the best forward in his draft imo, he as at least shown the most so far.

He was fine after he got going but his first few steps were not NHL caliber.
I am curious to see how much that has improved. Wont know that until the real camp starts.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Looks like he has but the competition has been largely inferior so far.

Lets see how he looks and how he does against NHL players.

sure
but its better than saying "dude can't skate against University teams, how is he gonna fare against NHLers?"

showing well is rookie camp does have some merit

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
sure
but its better than saying "dude can't skate against University teams, how is he gonna fare against NHLers?"

showing well is rookie camp does have some merit

He showed fine last season as well which is why I don't put a lot of stock in the rookie camp.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I think Leon plays right wing not left. He would be able to use his solid shot better and his back hand passing makes him the ideal player to play the offside wing

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Killer game by Drai tonight, in on all points scored and looked pretty good all game.

I'd still like to see him in the A to start the year, but this is damn promising so far.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think Leon plays right wing not left. He would be able to use his solid shot better and his back hand passing makes him the ideal player to play the offside wing
I think I'm starting to agree with that to. He also rushes down the right wing more often then not.

A Pouliot - RNH - Draisaitl line could be incredible on the cycle and annoying to play against.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He showed fine last season as well which is why I don't put a lot of stock in the rookie camp.

I don't agree. I watched him live last year and tonight and I don't think he stood out much at all last year and actually was kinda disappointing against the bears. He was clearly dominant tonight with McDavid being the only player out there that outshines him (could have scored on 2 maybe 3 chances tonight to go with his 3 assists, his skill live is just mesmerizing especially when he brings the puck through the neutral zone). Drai has absolutely improved substantially from where he was at to start last year. This kids gonna be special (not sure if he will ever surpass the Nuge, but he has so much upside).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't agree. I watched him live last year and tonight and I don't think he stood out much at all last year and actually was kinda disappointing against the bears. He was clearly dominant tonight with McDavid being the only player out there that outshines him (could have scored on 2 maybe 3 chances tonight to go with his 3 assists, his skill live is just mesmerizing especially when he brings the puck through the neutral zone). Drai has absolutely improved substantially from where he was at to start last year. This kids gonna be special (not sure if he will ever surpass the Nuge, but he has so much upside).

I am referring to last years rookie camp in its entirety....not just the Bears game.

You have to consider too that he has been to a camp already so he knows what to expect. Also he played almost 40 games of NHL hockey which helps as well. For that reason he really shouldn't have been at this rookie camp IMO.

In any event his camp this year had some nice numbers but I saw the play die on his stick (in Penticton) more than I would have liked as well.

Again...these were glorified scrimmages and putting a lot of emphasis on performance in these games is rather foolish IMO.
The only significance for me in these games was getting a chance to see some of the more unknown players.

Otherwise its a lot of hype (especially on HF) and not much else.

The real test comes in a couple of weeks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I am referring to last years rookie camp in its entirety....not just the Bears game.

You have to consider too that he has been to a camp already so he knows what to expect. Also he played almost 40 games of NHL hockey which helps as well. For that reason he really shouldn't have been at this rookie camp IMO.

In any event his camp this year had some nice numbers but I saw the play die on his stick (in Penticton) more than I would have liked as well.

Again...these were glorified scrimmages and putting a lot of emphasis on performance in these games is rather foolish IMO.
The only significance for me in these games was getting a chance to see some of the more unknown players.

Otherwise its a lot of hype (especially on HF) and not much else.

The real test comes in a couple of weeks.

I do agree that its not the best test, but I do think the Bears game is always the best of all the rookie games, due to the good system and familiarity that the Bears play. That said obviously they have to prove themselves in main camp, and maybe Drai doesn't make the team. But even if he doesn't I think he has progressed a lot over the past year and I think he is ready to be a top 9 forward in the NHL. He has all the tools, and the major weakness he had in his skating has definitely improved by a noticeable margin. That doesn't mean he will make the team out of camp, but even if he doesn't I can't see him spending the whole year in the AHL and when given the chance (whether its out of camp or later in the year) I think he'll take it and run with it.

All I know is I can't wait to see McDavid with actual skilled players who can feed off him. This kid will be so damn good with players who can think and anticipate on a similar level to him.

Slepyshev needs some seasoning for sure. At least a year or 2 in the AHL unless he takes a steep development curve. The kid has the tools though for sure, just needs to put it all together on NA ice. I see him in our future plans for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad