Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I do agree that its not the best test, but I do think the Bears game is always the best of all the rookie games, due to the good system and familiarity that the Bears play. That said obviously they have to prove themselves in main camp, and maybe Drai doesn't make the team. But even if he doesn't I think he has progressed a lot over the past year and I think he is ready to be a top 9 forward in the NHL. He has all the tools, and the major weakness he had in his skating has definitely improved by a noticeable margin. That doesn't mean he will make the team out of camp, but even if he doesn't I can't see him spending the whole year in the AHL and when given the chance (whether its out of camp or later in the year) I think he'll take it and run with it.

All I know is I can't wait to see McDavid with actual skilled players who can feed off him. This kid will be so damn good with players who can think and anticipate on a similar level to him.

Slepyshev needs some seasoning for sure. At least a year or 2 in the AHL unless he takes a steep development curve. The kid has the tools though for sure, just needs to put it all together on NA ice. I see him in our future plans for sure.

I am curious to see if Draisaitl can make the team this year as well. It wouldn't bother me in least if he made a push for the big team but started the season in the AHL though.
I suspect Nurse and Reinhart will start there as well and spending time on a stacked team in a winning environment might be a good idea for some of these younger players.
Slepyshev will undoubtedly be in the AHL for the season and it will be interesting to see how he adjusts.

McDavid is obviously the big story here. Seeing him play in the NHL when it counts just cant happen soon enough IMO. :D

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I am curious to see if Draisaitl can make the team this year as well. It wouldn't bother me in least if he made a push for the big team but started the season in the AHL though.
I suspect Nurse and Reinhart will start there as well and spending time on a stacked team in a winning environment might be a good idea for some of these younger players.
Slepyshev will undoubtedly be in the AHL for the season and it will be interesting to see how he adjusts.

McDavid is obviously the big story here. Seeing him play in the NHL when it counts just cant happen soon enough IMO. :D

I tend the agree with this, Bakersfield is new to the AHL and being a strong team out the gate will build the fan base and be good for our prospects. A roster featuring Nurse, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Laleggia, Yakimov, Slepshyev, Kristoffer, Broissoit, is about as good as it gets in the AHL, I'd say they are instant Calder contenders if it shakes out like that and they still have lots of depth for when the inevitable call ups happen.

Oilers roster already features guys who need to have strong seasons to establish themselves as consistent NHL'ers (Lander, Klefbom) guys who have struggled and need to get back on track (Yak, Schultz) and a lot of the rest of the roster is pretty beat up mentally from years of losing. Plus a rookie wonder kid.

I think there is a general excitement around the team and I believe the new management team and coaching staff will get positive results but we've already got a crowded roster and jettisoning vets for more rookies seems like a bad idea at this point unless some of them are hands down better then the veterans.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I havent seen much of Leon. Those of you who have would you say his comparable is Kopitar or Thornton?

Could be highly beneficial if its Thornton considering Mclellan knows him quite well.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I do agree that its not the best test, but I do think the Bears game is always the best of all the rookie games, due to the good system and familiarity that the Bears play. That said obviously they have to prove themselves in main camp, and maybe Drai doesn't make the team. But even if he doesn't I think he has progressed a lot over the past year and I think he is ready to be a top 9 forward in the NHL. He has all the tools, and the major weakness he had in his skating has definitely improved by a noticeable margin. That doesn't mean he will make the team out of camp, but even if he doesn't I can't see him spending the whole year in the AHL and when given the chance (whether its out of camp or later in the year) I think he'll take it and run with it.

All I know is I can't wait to see McDavid with actual skilled players who can feed off him. This kid will be so damn good with players who can think and anticipate on a similar level to him.

Slepyshev needs some seasoning for sure. At least a year or 2 in the AHL unless he takes a steep development curve. The kid has the tools though for sure, just needs to put it all together on NA ice. I see him in our future plans for sure.

We lost feed in the 3rd period for about 10 mins. During this time they said Slepyshev was unreal. Any thoughts?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I havent seen much of Leon. Those of you who have would you say his comparable is Kopitar or Thornton?

Could be highly beneficial if its Thornton considering Mclellan knows him quite well.

My limited viewings, he's a slower/less deceptive Gretzky, with more reach.

Despite his size, he has that 'Gretzky' move of turning his back to the oncoming player.
He just has insane vision, and uses his reach to protect the puck, and can find players on his backhand without looking in the slot.

So.. I guess he's closer to Thornton? Drai's not particularly physical so the Kopitar/Toews comparison is out.

But yeah, style-wise I sorta see why he's called the German Gretzky.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
One of the best things to happen to Draisaitl is having mcdavid come along and with him all the pressure and attention he will generate. This should insulate him from some of the over expectations we have seen in the past.

He certainly has been a dominant player since the junior playoffs started. I still have a few doubts about the speed of the NHL game vs what he does best but no disputing that he has looked terrific and worthy of his pick position.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Jason Allison with slightly better skating.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Man, this guy's passing is such a treat to watch. Anyone he played with in the Rookie tournament and Bears game benefited because he basically served it up on a platter time and time again.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I though it was a very good comparison. Similar size and playing style. 485 points in 552 NHL games is nothing to sneeze at. Very small chance Draisaitl puts up PPG close to that.

Maybe, he's not just a "slightly better" skater though, because Allison was a brutal skater.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Maybe, he's not just a "slightly better" skater though, because Allison was a brutal skater.

I think it is ok, The thing is every one in the NHL skates better now than in Allison's time. So relative he is probably close to Allison. Drai will be a slow player in the NHL. Which is ok, Thorton is also a slow player in the NHL. As long as he uses his size well and continues to pass like he does, he will be ok.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it is ok, The thing is every one in the NHL skates better now than in Allison's time. So relative he is probably close to Allison. Drai will be a slow player in the NHL. Which is ok, Thorton is also a slow player in the NHL. As long as he uses his size well and continues to pass like he does, he will be ok.

Draisaitl isn't a poor skate, at all. He won the faster skater on the team last year? Did all of you forget that?

Edit: He's not McDavid or Hall, but he skates just fine. I get this continues to get toss around as some kind of "weakness" for him, but it's just not he case.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Draisaitl isn't a poor skate, at all. He won the faster skater on the team last year? Did all of you forget that?

Edit: He's not McDavid or Hall, but he skates just fine. I get this continues to get toss around as some kind of "weakness" for him, but it's just not he case.

He looks plenty quick to me.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

I would say it's his agility and edgework that needs work. His straight line speed is decent.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

He isn't fast, he is fast once he gets going. He is slow from a stand still.

I am complimenting Drai here, but come one, lets be honest about his skating.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Alison was brutally slow. There is no comparison between their skating. It is not even remotely close.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Alison was brutally slow. There is no comparison between their skating. It is not even remotely close.

Meh, maybe I don't recall how slow he was. I remember Andereychuk being slower than the Zamboni, I thought Allison was quick enough once he got skating, simliar to Thorton really.

THe point remains though, people look at Drai and think he skats well, and he does, compared to the past. You have to realize the NHL is much quicker than it was 20 years ago. Relative, Drai ins't a great skater, you have to be relative here.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He isn't fast, he is fast once he gets going. He is slow from a stand still.

I am complimenting Drai here, but come one, lets be honest about his skating.

I'm not so sure Dari is slow from a stand still.

I saw a couple times last night where he took off like a rocket from standstill/barely moving.

It's just the way he takes in the game that makes us think he's starting slow. It's probably what gives him such good vision. He's busy analyzing the whole ice or something.

I don't think you can win the fastest skater drill with a poor start. Other players skate too well to make up the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad