Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Too bad in the final. They got exactly what they wanted out of LD - a deep run into the memorial. I hope he brings another level to his game come training camp, he was great.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
I thought Draisaitl looked as good in the final as he did in the other games only difference is he and his teammates couldnt get anything by Applebees Lacrosse-like oversized equipment

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Am I the only one that noticed there were spurts where it seems LD lacked intensity? I'm seeing all this praise yet, in the final, several plays he could have either chased harder for the puck or played more aggressive when he had it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Am I the only one that noticed there were spurts where it seems LD lacked intensity? I'm seeing all this praise yet, in the final, several plays he could have either chased harder for the puck or played more aggressive when he had it.

I noticed that a lot in the tourney. He seems to float at times.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I noticed that a lot in the tourney. He seems to float at times.

My father was complaining about Leon the whole game. If you aren't skating and hitting 24/7 then you're a lazy bum. I told him to just get used to hating on Leon because he's never going to be a puck hound. Which he promptly did. Wanted to trade him and send him away after the game. Cursed about how much better Sam Bennett is because well.. he's pretty much the opposite type player.

I thought Leon was the best skater on the ice and it wasn't close. My father thought he was a bum because he doesn't look to be working hard enough.

I have a feeling this will be the theme with Leon among Oiler fans for the rest of his Oiler career.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My father was complaining about Leon the whole game. If you aren't skating and hitting 24/7 then you're a lazy bum. I told him to just get used to hating on Leon because he's never going to be a puck hound. Which he promptly did. Wanted to trade him and send him away after the game. Cursed about how much better Sam Bennett is because well.. he's pretty much the opposite type player.

I thought Leon was the best skater on the ice and it wasn't close. My father thought he was a bum because he doesn't look to be working hard enough.

I have a feeling this will be the theme with Leon among Oiler fans for the rest of his Oiler career.

Was your father a fan of Wayne Gretzky? You would hear the same comments about him from people who did not watch him much but he still managed to have a fairly decent career.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Because of McDavid, I don't think you'd have to worry, the spot light for Leon won't be a bright.

What you're describing is the "Pluggification" of the Canadian (Specifically Oilers) fans that Don Cherry and the not salary cap helped to perpetrate.

Basically a lot of people look at players, and if they don't "look" like they are going balls to the wall constantly, they're lazy, regardless of how good or effective that players actually is on the ice.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

I didn't like his intensity without the puck. Having said that his stock will never be higher if we were ever going to trade him for defense or goaltending.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The one thing I took from this tournament is I hope if a guy named Whistle ever make the NHL that he changes his name.

Quite the story on Cirelli. Kid literally came out of now where this year and ends up being the biggest hero in the CHL. Curious to see if he goes higher now because of his big game or not.

Also how does won win the MVP, but not be an All-Star? Is it just sharing the wealth and giving someone else an award?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/memorial-cup-prospects-draft-eligibles-wholl-benefit/

"Winner: The Edmonton Oilers. There’s a good shot that the one year when they didn’t win the lottery they still landed the kid who’ll turn out to be the best player. Leon Draisaitl had a couple of powerhouse performances in Quebec. It looked like he was going to dominate play in the first period but tapered as the game went on."

It was 2 years... but yeah...

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Was you father a fan of Wayne Gretzky? You would hear the same comments about him from people who did not watch him much but he still managed to have a fairly decent career.

Haha how'd you know!

He hated Gretzky. Loved Messier.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

You're definitely not alone. I made a similar observation during the game.

I'm not getting all the praise either. He had some nice chances off the rush and obviously has great vision but he's way too content to play on the perimeter and when the space closes on him, he either gets knocked off the puck easily or is willing to give it up without much of a fight. Most of his chances came when Oshawa gave him the space to use his creativity.

I'd like to see him battle for pucks more and use his wide frame to protect the puck. Didn't see much of that in the Memorial Cup. For a big guy, he plays too small of a game IMO.
I think good coaching could coax this out of him or at least I hope. He's going to need to ramp up the intensity if he wants to fulfill his potential at the NHL level.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Because of McDavid, I don't think you'd have to worry, the spot light for Leon won't be a bright.

What you're describing is the "Pluggification" of the Canadian (Specifically Oilers) fans that Don Cherry and the not salary cap helped to perpetrate.

Basically a lot of people look at players, and if they don't "look" like they are going balls to the wall constantly, they're lazy, regardless of how good or effective that players actually is on the ice.

It's pretty much it exactly.

You can see it in this thread.

Leon wasn't going balls to the walls the whole game and needs to pick up his intensity.
Leon needs to work on his game away from the puck because he doesn't look to be working hard enough.

He was the best player in the game disregarding the Oshawa goalie.
It wasn't close.

His style is going get a lot of hate from Oiler fans. Just look at this thread.
Best player in the game.. and floater posts.
It will go from gentle criticism like it is now to full out hate for the guy over the years.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Leon wasn't going balls to the walls the whole game and needs to pick up his intensity.
Leon needs to work on his game away from the puck because he doesn't look to be working hard enough.

It wasn't close.

It will go from gentle criticism like it is now to full out hate for the guy over the years.

ya, I can see Oiler fans getting frustrated with Leon's style of play...just cause he looks like he's "floating" when he's not
people need to watch Kopitar play...he always looks like he's floating but constantly makes the right play.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
As I said in another thread Draisaitl reminds me of Frank Mahovalich.

He's going to be a good player in this league but perhaps a maligned one. As for what to do with him, I'd have to problem dealing him right now if the price was right. I doubt if that will happen though.

I don't think Chiarelli is going to make a big move for at least a year.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I didn't like his intensity without the puck. Having said that his stock will never be higher if we were ever going to trade him for defense or goaltending.

You really believe that? What if he comes into the AHL next year, plays at ppg and then gets a call up to the oil and does the same?

I mean I agree his stock is higher now than it was on draft day... but almost so much that you want to see him in your own uniform first.

Or are you saying that you actually DO expect him to not live up the hype (I'm not challenging that per se... just interested in the opinion)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

It wasn't close.

Yep, I've been noting the same as well. It's only a matter of time.

It's a long standing tradition among a good portion of fans in Edmonton, from examples such as Mike Krushelnyski to Tom Poti to Dustin Penner. If you're not running around like a headless chicken and throwing your face in front of pucks, you're lazy and unmotivated no matter how effective you are.

I'll be the first to admit there's times where Draisaitl could stand to be a bit more selfish and take the game in his own hands, especially when saddled with linemates like Tyson Baillee who are long on try but short on brains and finish. And there are times where I think he falls in love a bit too much with his backhand passes. That said, I thought he was the most dangerous offensive player Kelowna had yesterday.

He's going to be a very effective hockey player at both ends of the ice. It remains to be seen if his best years will be as an Oiler.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

I definitely said this profusely leading up to the draft before the oilers took him. Still think Bennett wouldve filled more oilers but i'm not rehashing that topic haha. Great tournament for Leon! he tried!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Joe Thornton still gets called a floater or that he lacks intensity and he's one of the best centers of the last 10 years. Draisaitl reminds me a lot of Jumbo Joe.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

he's like Penner in a way, but people have to realize the big guys have to preserve their energy. It takes more calories of energy to move a big body, so over a whole game, they can be out of gas as compared to a small guy.

Ever notice how few big men there are in Soccer and how many guys there are under 5'10" ? Basic math. Less energy required. (could this be part of the reason Anaheim keeps losing in game 7?)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yep, I've been noting the same as well. It's only a matter of time.

It's a long standing tradition among a good portion of fans in Edmonton, from examples such as Mike Krushelnyski to Tom Poti to Dustin Penner. If you're not running around like a headless chicken and throwing your face in front of pucks, you're lazy and unmotivated no matter how effective you are.

I'll be the first to admit there's times where Draisaitl could stand to be a bit more selfish and take the game in his own hands, especially when saddled with linemates like Tyson Baillee who are long on try but short on brains and finish. And there are times where I think he falls in love a bit too much with his backhand passes. That said, I thought he was the most dangerous offensive player Kelowna had yesterday.

He's going to be a very effective hockey player at both ends of the ice. It remains to be seen if his best years will be as an Oiler.

so true. We love the Buchbergers and Marchants (two guys who were barely NHL calibre, and lucky to play a single game in the NHL) but hate on the Penners. Even Mact fell victim to this BS. If you can't put the puck in the net, you're not a good NHL forward.

Yes, you are making a good call. It's a virtual guarantee there will be the same bunch of haters hating on Drai because he doesn't buzz around like a bumble bee all game, yet sets up a goal a game.

book it.

longy85

Oct 24, 2009
It's the classic penner and thorton argument about a big guy looking slower. Note that Leon is a good 3 inches shorter than those two players. There are a lot of 6'1 210 lbs players who actually hussle each and every shift. Leon does not.

Could hussle be coached in to him? Sure, maybe. But I wish that a 3rd overall pick didn't need to be coached to do something that is so important in today's game, and something that the oilers already lack. I am not saying that we should have taken Bennett, just pointing out that our coveted big German is not only slow/not-fast, but he also does not hussle all the time. If Leon was slow but had even an average amount of intensity I would be that much more confident in him in the NHL.

However, Leon can really dial it up when he sees an opening (akin to Nugey blowing by the Philadelphia Dman this year for his short hander). But the problem is that Leon would create so many of his own openings if he was busting his butt every shift.

After saying all this, I think Leon should stay an oiler. We need his size, his hands and vision are world class. He is a professional with a great attitude and he seems to have a great work ethic. I think when he trains harder and has better cardio conditioning some of these issues of intensity may disappear. I notice that as he gets later in to a game he slows down, which tells me he is not in great shape yet.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
so true. We love the Buchbergers and Marchants (two guys who were barely NHL calibre, and lucky to play a single game in the NHL) but hate on the Penners. Even Mact fell victim to this BS. If you can't put the puck in the net, you're not a good NHL forward.

Yes, you are making a good call. It's a virtual guarantee there will be the same bunch of haters hating on Drai because he doesn't buzz around like a bumble bee all game, yet sets up a goal a game.

book it.

2 guys that played nearly 1200 games, who both played on stanley cup winning teams. A bit ridiculous to say they were lucky to play a single NHL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad