Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Surprising that he won it. But I guess he did enough in all the games that weren't against Oshawa to win.

did alot tonight. i counted two sweet set ups for easy finishes that went unclaimed by the reciever.

i hope those stone hands arent drafted because those recievers will not be advancing beyond junior.

just horrific to watch so many blubbered chances.
terrible. they didnt deserve to win with the spare parts talent they seem to have. just gross.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Surprising that he won it. But I guess he did enough in all the games that weren't against Oshawa to win.

Kelowna used to be a powerhouse but it seemed like if you could shut down Draisaitl the other guys weren't contributing too much.

Surprised a losing player gets the MVP but he obviously was the most dominant player.

Just like Thornton - it's tough when you're a playmaker and the team loses. Easy to say Draisaitl didn't score and therefore he disappointed, but I'm glad the Memorial Cup guys were able to look past it.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Draisaitl is passionate, love it

Did what he could but no one finished his gifts

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Appleby should have won MVP, but I'll take Draisaitl as an Oilers fan :)

I was impressed by his decision making with the puck. He always makes the correct pass, whether it's a skillful cross-seam beauty or a smart five foot pass. He will be terrific on the cycle as he continues to develop his core strength. Eberle may actually be the perfect partner for him, but Eberle works with everyone.

On the other side of things, I don't like his intensity level. Bigger guys always get criticized for this because they need more inertia to close gaps with speed, so they often try to overcome that with positioning, but he doesn't move his feet enough or proactively enough to collect pucks. This is going to be twice as apparent in the NHL against better skaters. He's going to lose the zone a lot more than the other group of forwards we have because of it, and I think he will struggle on the PK against pro skaters as well.

My hope is one full year of Bakersfield. I want him to work with Pelletier and Drummond on his core strength and first few steps, and hopefully Gerry Flemming tries to get him to move his feet some more.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Now we got another thing to throw in Leafs fans faces when they offer us Phaneuf for Drai or other useless trades haha jking.. but not really. Sucks he lost but he was one of the better players in the tournament.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good game for Leon, but he really should've shot that puck himself in the 2nd though it was a slick pass back to his winger.

Fun game to watch.

Au revoir Colisee.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Draisaitl whl playoff mvp/ memorial cup MVP
Nurse world Junior MVP
Mcdavid ohl playoff MVP
almost gives you goosebumps knowing that all this players will be playing for the oilers on the next year or two next to RNH, Ebs, Hall, and Yak

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Good game for Leon, but he really should've shot that puck himself in the 2nd though it was a slick pass back to his winger.

Fun game to watch.

Au revoir Colisee.

I can't even fault him on that. Sure it didn't go in, but that should have been a tap in. His passing is just fantastic. If only the Rocket players could have raised the puck more they'd have won this game handily.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
April 18: Oilers win Draft Lottery
April 20: Nicholson appointed CEO
April 24: Chiarelli hired as POHO & GM
May 13: Draisaitl named WHL Playoff MVP
May 15: McDavid named OHL Playoff MVP
May 17: McLellan, Eberle, & Hall win gold
May 19: McLellan hired as head coach
May 30: McDavid wins three major awards
May 31: Draisaitl named Memorial Cup MVP

XS0ALsm.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

XS0ALsm.gif

:lol:

Now go win some games Oilers. PLEASE

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

XS0ALsm.gif

Add in Nurse winning the World Juniors MVP lol (Even if it is past tense)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I can't even fault him on that. Sure it didn't go in, but that should have been a tap in. His passing is just fantastic. If only the Rocket players could have raised the puck more they'd have won this game handily.

i really doubt the level of talent on the Rockets team. too many chances wasted.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Appleby should have won MVP, but I'll take Draisaitl as an Oilers fan :)

I was impressed by his decision making with the puck. He always makes the correct pass, whether it's a skillful cross-seam beauty or a smart five foot pass. He will be terrific on the cycle as he continues to develop his core strength. Eberle may actually be the perfect partner for him, but Eberle works with everyone.

On the other side of things, I don't like his intensity level. Bigger guys always get criticized for this because they need more inertia to close gaps with speed, so they often try to overcome that with positioning, but he doesn't move his feet enough or proactively enough to collect pucks. This is going to be twice as apparent in the NHL against better skaters. He's going to lose the zone a lot more than the other group of forwards we have because of it, and I think he will struggle on the PK against pro skaters as well.

My hope is one full year of Bakersfield. I want him to work with Pelletier and Drummond on his core strength and first few steps, and hopefully Gerry Flemming tries to get him to move his feet some more.

Yep he's still young so he has a lot of time to figure it out but he needs to have more intense shifts out there. In junior he gets away with not moving his feet much because his hands are so good, but in the NHL the guys are too good.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

XS0ALsm.gif

Next up : The Edmonton Oilers select Connor McDavid with the first overall pick. :handclap:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Surprised Draisaitl won.

I think he was the best player in the tourny but since Appleby was the main standout on the winner I was sure he'd get it.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Draisaitl whl playoff mvp/ memorial cup MVP
Nurse world Junior MVP
Mcdavid ohl playoff MVP
almost gives you goosebumps knowing that all this players will be playing for the oilers on the next year or two next to RNH, Ebs, Hall, and Yak

McDavid also won the Scholastic Player of the Year award, Top Prospect award, and CHL Player of the Year award.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Maple leaf fans.....

It is sad, when you think, ...they have Never seen their team in a SC final...on Colour TV..

Yeah but they bring up a conference final that happened 20 years ago and missed calls to this day.

Thats all they have to live on. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad