Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Personally, the most compelling detail about this decision is that it was made weeks ago. I find that pretty interesting.

It's fun to think if when Verbeek said his North American scouts were unanimous, they were unanimous against Fantilli

Reactions: Static

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
The part we don’t know is if Fantilli wasn’t that high on Anaheim. If he really wanted to be picked by Columbus, it would be foolish to pick him and have him go back to Michigan.

John
The ESPN panel made a comment stating Fantilli wanted CBJ.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
This is going to be one of those picks the whole league will be laughing at us for for a long, long time. I literally have zero trust in our GM and scouting any more. We were God awful drafting forwards ever since, but now we are the laughing stock of the hockey world.
I knew this would happen its embarrassing and this teams results and attendance shows. How Verbeek got the job is beyond me.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
It's fun to think if when Verbeek said his North American scouts were unanimous, they were unanimous against Fantilli
Just to be precise, it was actually Madden that made that comment before the draft. Verbeek said that they made the pick weeks ago and they were going to draft size. Madden talked about the debates around the pick on his staff and said that the NA scouts were unanimous in who they wanted.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Didn’t PV or Madden always say that they grade prospects on the holy trinity if hockey sense, compete, and skating/skills? Fantilli had all of that… Leo needs work on skating AND physicality/compete… I’m really confused…

Reactions: McDonald19

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Didn’t PV or Madden always say that they grade prospects on the holy trinity if hockey sense, compete, and skating/skills? Fantilli had all of that… Leo needs work on skating AND physicality/compete… I’m really confused…
The biggest knock on Fantilli is that his hockey IQ isn't regarded as terribly high, to a degree where his game sometimes suffers from it, whereas Carlsson's is one of the highest in the draft. There's your missing bit.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Totally reasonable response. All I can say is that if you look at the Ducks draft history under Madden, they really love big players with lots of tools. I guarantee that they think Carlsson has a higher ceiling than Fantilli due to his unique combination of size, skills and hockey sense and they think he can work on his skating and physicality over time.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The biggest knock on Fantilli is that his hockey IQ isn't regarded as terribly high, to a degree where his game sometimes suffers from it, whereas Carlsson's is one of the highest in the draft. There's your missing bit.
The discussions about some scouts continuing to have reservations about his hockey IQ have been had on here a lot, and I am not going to hold it against anyone for coming up with a rationalization on why those doubts might have been questionable, but the straight up denials sure didn’t seem to be represented significantly among the Ducks scouts.

Last edited:

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
great hockey IQ, excellent vision and passing ability, and the ability to handle playing both ends of the ice

i'm a fan of this pick
I don't think he's really established himself as a great defensive player yet. His coach in Sweden basically said that he didn't think his 200ft game was good enough to play C in the SHL and that he'll succeed in the NHL as a C because he doesn't need to do as much defensive work. It's certainly an opinion.

He's got to work on his skating in order to be a better defensive player. He needs to get more explosive in his first few strides. But it's definitely something that he can improve.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't think he's really established himself as a great defensive player yet. His coach in Sweden basically said that he didn't think his 200ft game was good enough to play C in the SHL and that he'll succeed in the NHL as a C because he doesn't need to do as much defensive work. It's certainly an opinion.

He's got to work on his skating in order to be a better defensive player. He needs to get more explosive in his first few strides. But it's definitely something that he can improve.
he's also a teenager playing in a pro league. the ability is there and i don't have much doubt he'll improve in that area. playing on smaller ice will help with that as well

Reactions: Deuce22

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Besides Bedard Leo's been my favorite prospect since the season began. He's just so smooth for his size and to do what he does in the SHL is insane. He's a special talent in a different way than Fantilli. Great pick Ducks

Reactions: Kalv and Hoooch

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
He is on the Ailish and Armdog podcast from sportsnet but it is so insufferable listening to both of them talk over everyone they are interviewing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad