Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The skating thing is overblown for me. It might not quite be on par with his puck skills, but that doesn't make it a weakness. There are times where he winds up and attacks the neutral zone looking like an unstoppable freight train, much like Getz.

Players with their size, skill and vision don't have to be the biggest burner on the ice, and it's frankly unfair when they are (ie McDavid).
I think it's more scrutinized because of Bedard and Fantilli at the top of the draft. If there weren't other guys at a similar/better level of prospect with better skating, it wouldn't be nearly as talked about.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Yeah… Anaheim must have the worst reputation. Prefers Columbus over Orange County???? Has he seen the women here? He and Z would be smashing it here…

Funny, I've always thought Ohio girls were pretty hot. Got that Midwest thing going, which for me is more attractive then most socal girls.

Of course, I'm 51 and married now... so I don't know what that means. 🤨

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Funny, I've always thought Ohio girls were pretty hot. Got that Midwest thing going, which for me is more attractive then most socal girls.

Of course, I'm 51 and married now... so I don't know what that means. 🤨

Just ignore him. Lol, grew up and lived in the OC but went to school in Columbus then lived there for years after. The girls are way better there than Orange County lol. Equal quality aesthetically but miles ahead personality and simplicity wise.

As I digress, while Madden and co don’t have the best reputation with forwards it’s still important to note they have better than most. If you listen to any reputable source they rave over Maddens drafting ability. Sometimes it comes down to Horner organizational deficits.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
How’s this pick still landing for you all, as we get a few days removed from draft day?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Just ignore him. Lol, grew up and lived in the OC but went to school in Columbus then lived there for years after. The girls are way better there than Orange County lol. Equal quality aesthetically but miles ahead personality and simplicity wise.

As I digress, while Madden and co don’t have the best reputation with forwards it’s still important to note they have better than most. If you listen to any reputable source they rave over Maddens drafting ability. Sometimes it comes down to Horner organizational deficits.
Of course they are, there are hot girls in most big cities. It’s call copium realizing your team has become so run down and hopeless that no one wants to come here until they get their golden parachute.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think it's more scrutinized because of Bedard and Fantilli at the top of the draft. If there weren't other guys at a similar/better level of prospect with better skating, it wouldn't be nearly as talked about.
Same thing with his 'shot'. Its underrated because of how good Bedard, Smith, and Fantilli can shoot.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

Some very promising clips in here:

-The very first clip shows him throwing the body, hopefully this is just part of his game we haven’t seen much due to him being a kid playing in a men’s league.

- clip at 0:47 you get to see him use his size/ speed combo. He’s like a freight train going down the ice, very reminiscent of Getz when he used to get up to speed.

-2:43 you really get to see his deception, not even a crazy deke but makes the opponent look silly, and then finishes off splitting the seam with a gorgeous pass to Raymond, who you can visually see was impressed. This was at the WC’s.

-3:10 you see him using his size and initiating contact to get the opponent off the puck. Nothing crazy, just shows he’s willing to throw his weight a bit.

3:17-3:54 is three different clips of him driving the center lane. He is pretty much the opposite of a perimeter player.

Super f***ing excited over this pick.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I can’t wait for the rookie camp.. hopefully it’s streamed or something.

Watching his highlights in the SHL, I don’t know where this BS came from with his shot. I actually think it’s sneaky good..
It's fine. I think for how big he is he could get a lot more on his wrister than he does. He just doesn't have an especially powerful shot for his size. As he puts on more muscle and weight it should get better.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Some very promising clips in here:

-The very first clip shows him throwing the body, hopefully this is just part of his game we haven’t seen much due to him being a kid playing in a men’s league.

- clip at 0:47 you get to see him use his size/ speed combo. He’s like a freight train going down the ice, very reminiscent of Getz when he used to get up to speed.

-2:43 you really get to see his deception, not even a crazy deke but makes the opponent look silly, and then finishes off splitting the seam with a gorgeous pass to Raymond, who you can visually see was impressed. This was at the WC’s.

-3:10 you see him using his size and initiating contact to get the opponent off the puck. Nothing crazy, just shows he’s willing to throw his weight a bit.

3:17-3:54 is three different clips of him driving the center lane. He is pretty much the opposite of a perimeter player.

Super f***ing excited over this pick.

I have seen other clips where in the Wprlds he was pushing grown man from pucks even from unfavorable position. He's not punishing but he's not soft either it seems.

Yeah, I get more and more excited every day

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's not as bad as it initially sounded. It's also on par with the average pick announcement, sadly or hilariously.

Looks like it's on spotify among other services/website aswell. Search Cannon Fodder, CBJ podcast.
Interesting (here it's also on Spotify):

Well, main thing is that apparently really Jarmo could have preferred Carlsson and even Smith over Fantilli. It's a speculation but sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Interesting (here it's also on Spotify):

Well, main thing is that apparently really Jarmo could have preferred Carlsson and even Smith over Fantilli. It's a speculation but sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about.

That’s crazy. It makes sense why the Ducks didn’t trade down now.

Reactions: DucksDefender10

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
THIS is exactly what I'd have expected to hear from Sean Garrity :D

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Apologies if this was posted before. I haven't seen it anywhere.

Great video. Here he also mentions the growth spurt and that is when he started to realise that NHL might be reachable for him. And that happened fairly recently, 1-2 years ago. He also played other sports seriously until 13 yo. This dude really checks all the boxes, he just doesn't have the mean streak and speed of Fantilli

Reactions: lwvs84

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
How’s this pick still landing for you all, as we get a few days removed from draft day?
seems like most have come to accept that carlsson was likely going to be the pick all along, especially with the rumors that fantilli preferred columbus and how that could've affected his decision to go back to school had the ducks taken him

personally, i was more than happy just to be guaranteed one of those two and i'm stoked about carlsson. the more you watch of him, the more you realize how much potential he's got and how high his ceiling is. the talent's there, but if if he can just improve on his shot and put on some muscle, he could very well become a legit 1C in this league

hope fantilli works out for you guys. he's an easy one to root for

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
seems like most have come to accept that carlsson was likely going to be the pick all along, especially with the rumors that fantilli preferred columbus and how that could've affected his decision to go back to school had the ducks taken him

personally, i was more than happy just to be guaranteed one of those two and i'm stoked about carlsson. the more you watch of him, the more you realize how much potential he's got and how high his ceiling is. the talent's there, but if if he can just improve on his shot and put on some muscle, he could very well become a legit 1C in this league

hope fantilli works out for you guys. he's an easy one to root for

I have said this before, but I really think this is way overblown. His quote that generated all this was a response he gave to the Blue Jackets PR team in an interview. My guess is he would have answered “ I want to play for the ducks” if he was asked by our PR.

Listening to Fantilli pre-draft, hearing about him as a person, and knowing he has friends on our team, I would be shocked if he said anything to the ducks that would dissuade them from taking him.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
His nickname is Blade, because his first name is Leo and the Ninja Turtle of the same name uses Katana swords to fight. Also, Leo will cut through the defense like a sword through hot butter.

In all seriousness...how is a player supposed to have a nickname before he had a single team practice and interacted with his team mates?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad