Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My guess is you haven't seen him drive the net yet. Carlsson has done that several times in the SHL where he's driven wide around a defender and then drove the net with a man hanging on his back. He knows what his frame can do. And a lot of smaller NHL defenders are going to be hopeless to stop him. There's really not much holding him back. Maybe a more consistent attacking instinct. He can be a bull he just needs to do it more often.

He’s doing it now against men in his league, imagine when he matures into his body and adds more muscle. Damn.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
My guess is you haven't seen him drive the net yet. Carlsson has done that several times in the SHL where he's driven wide around a defender and then drove the net with a man hanging on his back. He knows what his frame can do. And a lot of smaller NHL defenders are going to be hopeless to stop him. There's really not much holding him back. Maybe a more consistent attacking instinct. He can be a bull he just needs to do it more often.
I think he is only now realizing just how good he can be and the potential is scary.

I will say that if I was a winger I'd probably much prefer to play with Carlsson knowing that he'll get me the puck and give me more opportunities for easy goals. He's much better IMO than Fantilli in that regard.

Definitely going to be interesting to watch the two of them develop over the course of their careers.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Getting more and more excited about this. Worth to look back to see who started leaking we'll pick Carlsson (like Mayor).

Carlsson is not as punishing but he'll be a lot to handle anyway. He will fill out and be a giant in the modern day NHL.
He should have a steeper growing curve from now on than Fantilli. I think there are more dimensions to Carlssons game, albeit you cannot get the speed and grit of Fantilli ofc.

Excited to have Carlsson. Wish we had #3 pick as well

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Verbeek just seems like an odd human being all around. He cant speak well during interviews, let alone in public, his stupid look at me im young and cool glasses, getting upset at a scout voicing an opinion aka doing his job. Weird vibes.
He just seems like an introvert to me. Who cares about his glasses though, we've got a guy who belongs in the HHOF who helped build a future dynasty in Tampa Bay and has shown incredible work ethic his entire life.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Other "weird" GM's or coaches who were very successful.

-Bill Belichick
-Jerry West
-Jim Harbaugh
-Jerry Krause
-Phil Jackson

I'm certainly not putting Verbeek in this category of success, but just noting that being awkward socially isn't a disqualifier for being good at this job.
How about Al Davis of the Raiders? He definitely listened to his own drummer.

Reactions: Deuce22

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
NHL players are notoriously bad at public speaking, and the guy has almost 1,500 games under his belt. It does not surprise me that his speaking ability is weak, and it would not surprise me if it improved over his career.

If he was half as much as a bumbling weirdo as this board makes him out to be, I doubt he would have lasted working for years with one of the most savvy GMs in the league and won over Nieds and Kariya.

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
I wasn’t trying to imply he can’t do a good job or isn’t hard working but I can see how it came across that way. That said he absolutely is a bumbling weirdo as evidenced by the way he announced the pick lmao, I can’t bring myself to watch it out of second hand embarrassment. Maybe it isn’t as bad as I’m remembering it. I’m also an introvert as are many other people in public roles but you should get a little more adept at speaking publicly over time, and he’s had plenty of time. He also had to say one sentence
:laugh:

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm so pumped the Ducks went with Leo. Fantilli is going to be great too, but I see more of a power forward winger when he settles into his NHL role.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
NHL players are notoriously bad at public speaking, and the guy has almost 1,500 games under his belt. It does not surprise me that his speaking ability is weak, and it would not surprise me if it improved over his career.

If he was half as much as a bumbling weirdo as this board makes him out to be, I doubt he would have lasted working for years with one of the most savvy GMs in the league and won over Nieds and Kariya.
I've mentioned this before, the search committee called him smart and I have to assume that it comes across better in private settings, or else there's just a different standard for "smart" amongst professional athletes, but I doubt that.

I'm trying to picture him and Cronin having their 8-hour interview, how that went. In my head, it's two guys talking sports at a bar getting progressively drunker but that can't be right.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I've mentioned this before, the search committee called him smart and I have to assume that it comes across better in private settings, or else there's just a different standard for "smart" amongst professional athletes, but I doubt that.

I'm trying to picture him and Cronin having their 8-hour interview, how that went. In my head, it's two guys talking sports at a bar getting progressively drunker but that can't be right.
I’ve been wondering when some of PV’s biggest detractors were going to realize they will need to extend their venom to Paul, Teemu, and Scotty if they want to keep it up. :laugh:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It’s interesting listening to duckstream and how Madden said there were voices that liked Smith and Fantilli a lot but in the end everyone was convinced/on the same page. I wonder how they all get on the same page if there are seemingly disagreements in the beginning. Not like there were compromises or anything.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I think the logical explanation is PV is perfectly fine behind closed doors, at least when it comes to talking hockey, but is an unmitigated disaster whenever there’s a mic or camera nearby. I do wonder how he came across in his interviews before he got the job though.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Verbeek is fine in face to face interviews. It seems like the instances where he’s up in front of a bunch of people and it’s just him expected to speak without conversing that he’s a bit uncomfortable. But his 1-on-1 interviews haven’t been odd at all imo.

Reactions: Zegras11
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think the logical explanation is PV is perfectly fine behind closed doors, at least when it comes to talking hockey, but is an unmitigated disaster whenever there’s a mic or camera nearby. I do wonder how he came across in his interviews before he got the job though.
Presumably he came across like he knew what he was talking about. I mean, I take it for granted that he is smart, I don't doubt it or anything. There are just a lot of record scratch moments that we catch or hear about. And clearly that's a huge improvement from a guy who's more or less normal (if horribly inarticulate) in public but abusive in private, like the last guy.

There's also something TMDM alluded to earlier, that the ship might not be run as tightly under a new captain, given that it legitimately seemed to leak that we were picking Carlsson.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

Timestamped at Calsson talk.

Interesting comment from Friedman: "Somebody told me that Verbeek had a really visceral reaction when it was brought up internally that Carlsson wasnt a good skater. Like he got really upset about that."

Can't wait this place to overanalyse this comment too

Reactions: Kalv and Rasp

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think we made the right choice. This allows Zegras to move to wing which I think will make him better. Just need the right third person for the line and they will be great. Second line will be Terry and Mac and someone else to compliment.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There's also something TMDM alluded to earlier, that the ship might not be run as tightly under a new captain, given that it legitimately seemed to leak that we were picking Carlsson.

It does seem odd considering how quiet everything was on the head coaching front, but half the media knew to where Pronman actually changed his mock to have Carlsson #2 when he's been bashing on Carlsson not being on the same tier with Fantilli all season long.

Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Fantilli not going back to college. Interesting . Biggest question, do they sign Carlsson now and he plays in the NHL next season or at least the AHL. Does he stay one more year in the SHL?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad