Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Keep in mind, Örebro lost its topscorer - Rodrigo Abols, a enter, at least listed so at eliteprospects - so this might open a C spot for Leo there.
Abols plays center for team Latvia as well for what it's worth.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm not sure if you Ducks fans caught this, but Orebro HC Johan Hedberg sees Leo Carlsson as a center.

They're not changing their minds, because it was never in doubt that he is a center. They were just starting him on wing when he moved up to SHL so it would be easier, less to learn. He's probably at center next year.

Interesting
Carlsson was only 5-foot-8 in his U-16 season, but now is 6-foot-2, 194 pounds.

Good to hear
He said his focus during the offseason will to be work on his first three step quickness, as well as get stronger to better handle play along the boards and in front of the net.

He will never gonna be a punishing guy as his father or Fantilli, but he'll be a hard guy to move

Reactions: lwvs84

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

Timestamped at Calsson talk.

Interesting comment from Friedman: "Somebody told me that Verbeek had a really visceral reaction when it was brought up internally that Carlsson wasnt a good skater. Like he got really upset about that."

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Michkov, Carlsson, Benson and Stenberg are my emotional favorites of this entire draft. Ducks fans, you got a great one here but the dividends will pay off in 2-3 years. Next season, Fantilli is going to come out guns blazing, surrounded by some elite toys in Columbus, and produce immediately. Don't be discouraged, in due time, Carlsson will deliver.

I still believe, the way I have believed for months, that Carlsson will end up being a slightly better hockey player when it's all said and done -- he just might not be as flashy. Fantilli is more developed and currently more of a "what you see is what you get" hockey player. He is a dynamic, shoot-first centerman but his growth is fairly limited. That said, he will be a great player, especially with guys such as Gaudreau, Laine, and Werenski around him.

Fantilli will end up in the mold of Jack Eichel or Jeff Carter. Some comparisons made are Steven Stamkos and Nathan MacKinnon but I don't buy them, and never have. Stamkos and MacKinnon are way more predatory and violent in their approach to scoring. Fantilli is more like an Eichel / Carter hybrid.

Carlsson is a gem and has more room to be polished. He thinks the game on the same level of those gifted Swedes of past -- Nilsson, Sundin, Forsberg, Naslund, and more currently Backstrom. His "it factor" is off-the-charts and he'll grow into a 6-4, 215 pound juggernaut like Mats Sundin.

This is not a knock on Fantilli, who will be a great player himself, but Carlsson will be a reliable horse who does all the things you need to sleep easy at night -- think Kopitar and Barkov. He will not be as flashy as Barkov but he'll end up a hybrid of Kopitar / Backstrom to Fantilli's Eichel / Carter, and he'll make other Ducks better players.

If the Ducks happen to land a Cole Eiserman next year, forget about it. You'll have two, perfectly-balanced scoring lines with Carlsson setting up Eiserman and Zegras feeding McTavish. Add that to the monstrous backend the Ducks are building, and with Dostal in goal, you guys will be a force soon.

I thought the Ducks were going the safe route in Fantilli but imho they opted for the smart and patient route which will ultimately pay off.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

Interesting comment from Friedman: "Somebody told me that Verbeek had a really visceral reaction when it was brought up internally that Carlsson wasnt a good skater. Like he got really upset about that."

I hope this side of him doesn’t creep into trade negotiations

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

What does that mean? I’m confused. Why would he draft him if he got that upset about it?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Been watching highlights all night, lol. He has a very good shot, don't get why people are dissing it.
Agree completely. He's similar to Forsberg and Backstrom in that he actually has a very nice shot -- the only issue is that he's incredibly unselfish like those guys and prefers to distribute rather than fire bullets. But he will shoot when he needs to.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
No, verbeek disagreed with the opinion that carlsson is a bad skater. Either way it's a really weird reaction.
The more I hear about him, the more I think pig farmers have a pretty big deficiency in their ability to socially interact.

media3.giphy.com/media/unFLKoAV3TkXe/200w.gif?cid=...

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
The more I hear about him, the more I think pig farmers have a pretty big deficiency in their ability to socially interact.
Yeah, well, I'd wholeheartedly agree with this motion. Germany's minister of economy also is a pig farmer, and he's completely deficient in his social interaction skills as well.

But, more importantly, on topic:

Reading that Carlsson grew a whole 15 centimeters in the last two years is easing the hurt of not taking Fantilli a bit, at least for me. Growing that much within such a short amount of time might have had an impact on his approach to the game much bigger than one might anticipate at first. He might still "think" the game from a small person's perspective (which might attribute to his stick skills), but could very well learn to use his frame much more efficiently in the future and also make him turn a complete 180 in regards to body checking eventually. Maybe he still shies away from hitting by himself due to him thinking from a small person's perspective, who knows?

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I'm not sure if you Ducks fans caught this, but Orebro HC Johan Hedberg sees Leo Carlsson as a center.

They're not changing their minds, because it was never in doubt that he is a center. They were just starting him on wing when he moved up to SHL so it would be easier, less to learn. He's probably at center next year.
I must have missed that article, appreciate you pointing it out. If he gets to be there top line center, I think it would be a better fit then SD, who don't get me wrong, should be much improved, but still starting fresh with a new system. At least in the SHL, he already knows the staff, system and players

Reactions: Kalv

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think a lot of the feelings of disappointment with this pick comes from Ducks fans wanting to believe the Fantilli hype after we missed out on Bedard. I was there too, in a big way. Right after we finished second I was all-in in watching Fantilli tape, Michigan games, WJC and WC games. What I came away with was that Fantilli was a great prospect, but nowhere near Bedard, not in his own tier, and I saw real reasons that Carlsson>Fantilli. That was really disappointing and absolutely not what I wanted to see. I wanted to see everything people were saying - that he was a no brainer 1st overall talent and the obvious #2 pick.

Yet, the media kept pumping up Fantilli and I think a lot of Ducks fans just wanted to believe he was what they said he was. Maybe he will be, but it’s not what I (or apparently the Ducks) saw.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
The late growth spurt info gives me hope that his acceleration can improve as he stops growing and starts building more muscle and hopefully works with a skating coach. I didn't realize watching him play that he's still relatively physically immature. It explains a lot and eases my concerns about his skating a bit. There are aspects of his skating that I really like, once he's up to speed he actually moves very well with the puck. If he can just develop more power in those first few strides I think he'll be fine.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
In seeing all the discussions on our board here, I was 100% certain we were going for Fantilli. I have to admit I was like a lot of others here, super excited to see him come here and thrilled at the speed and intensity he shows shift in and shift out. And I agree with the Dirks of the world...our team absolutely needs someone that's more physical. It's great to have skill, but they 100% need to protect those skill guys to some degree.

That said, in the clips, I did see some of the questionable decisions Fantilli sometimes made with the puck, and definitely think in comparison that Carlsson has what seems an obviously higher hockey IQ at this point. I do feel that Fantilli can be coached to make better decisions. I also feel you can't teach that level of speed, and it's tough to drill that aggressiveness/assertiveness into a player, though not impossible.

Which brings me to taking a couple days to settle down after seeing us pick Carlsson. And for the extra stuff I read and watched (since I didn't really do that before the draft, lol), I'm coming around. Dude's definitely going to fill into his frame a lot more after that crazy growth spurt, and he's going to be very difficult to knock off the puck (and will have more leverage in his board battles). In the clips I've seen, the guy's actually really shifty with his puck handling. Reminds me of earlier years Rakell, where you think he's going one way and then boom he's going another. Definitely great hands, and he looks faster and stronger on his skates than some say he is. I'm hoping Getzlaf is allowed to help with his development and can mentor him, if not for the physicality, to enforce developing the ability to slow the game down and control play. Cuz they definitely need more control.

One thing I haven't really seen pointed out here...although playing another year in the SHL might be a good idea for him, if he doesn't make the Ducks out of camp, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the AHL. SHL is still using Olympic rink size, and I think it'll be good for him to get much more used to NHL size.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Look, when we finished dead last there was legit relief that we'd be guaranteed one of Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson. So can't really complain.

Imagine how much worse it could easily have been ... We finish 3rd, get jumped in the lotto, and watch as Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson go to SJ, Chi, and CBJ. It was not far from happening.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, well, I'd wholeheartedly agree with this motion. Germany's minister of economy also is a pig farmer, and he's completely deficient in his social interaction skills as well.

But, more importantly, on topic:

Reading that Carlsson grew a whole 15 centimeters in the last two years is easing the hurt of not taking Fantilli a bit, at least for me. Growing that much within such a short amount of time might have had an impact on his approach to the game much bigger than one might anticipate at first. He might still "think" the game from a small person's perspective (which might attribute to his stick skills), but could very well learn to use his frame much more efficiently in the future and also make him turn a complete 180 in regards to body checking eventually. Maybe he still shies away from hitting by himself due to him thinking from a small person's perspective, who knows?

My guess is you haven't seen him drive the net yet. Carlsson has done that several times in the SHL where he's driven wide around a defender and then drove the net with a man hanging on his back. He knows what his frame can do. And a lot of smaller NHL defenders are going to be hopeless to stop him. There's really not much holding him back. Maybe a more consistent attacking instinct. He can be a bull he just needs to do it more often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad