Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
People need to ignore the whole "Fantilli wouldn't sign in Anaheim" BS. All the players have a preference, they normally just dont say it on record to a media team.

The Ducks took Carlsson because they wanted him more then Fantilli.
I don’t know if it BS. I do know that two of the best players in the SC playoffs demanded to be traded and forced a trade from the team that drafted and invested in them.

And it may have been that the Ducks really wanted Carlsson. It is what it is.

John

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
People need to ignore the whole "Fantilli wouldn't sign in Anaheim" BS. All the players have a preference, they normally just dont say it on record to a media team.

i don't think fantilli would've straight up refused to sign with the ducks. but he could've made it known that going back to school would have been an option had the ducks drafted him and they just didn't want to deal with that

Reactions: Deuce22 and 70sSanO

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
i don't think fantilli would've straight up refused to sign with the ducks. but he could've made it known that going back to school would have been an option had the ducks drafted him and they just didn't want to deal with that
I agree it wasn’t an Eli Manning. But GM have enough contacts, and interviews leave impressions that impact a selection or if the choices are close.

If it were a Bedard vs everyone else, you take Bedard regardless.

Carlsson might be the better player and with the bruisers the Ducks picked later on, he may not have to be a hitter.

And if Fantilli is more excited about Columbus, give him a year with Babcock.

John

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree it wasn’t an Eli Manning. But GM have enough contacts, and interviews leave impressions that impact a selection or if the choices are close.

If it were a Bedard vs everyone else, you take Bedard regardless.

Carlsson might be the better player and with the bruisers the Ducks picked later on, he may not have to be a hitter.

And if Fantilli is more excited about Columbus, give him a year with Babcock.

John
Man I didn't even think of that. Poor kid.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

100% this. What also doesn't get noted is this was something Fantilli said directly to the columbus blue jackets media team - it's not like a quote he said completely out of the blue or without any bias

Reactions: Hollel

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Even though I wanted Fantilli, I’m happy with Carlsson. Looking forward to many successful years and hopefully a few cups and Leo retires as a Duck with a Getzlaf type career.

John

Reactions: Kalv

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Playing a "physical" game against men 10 years your senior probably isn't realistic for many 16- to 18-year-olds.
This is what I'm wondering too, is it that he's not physical or it's just not the smart play with men in their physical prime? Even though he's playing against men, his scouting report says that he has the strength to fight them off and protect the puck. Getzy was great at that puck protection too, should be a great mentor for him. Especially if he can develop a little bit more of a mean streak when appropriate (didn't Manson kind of do that with Lindholm a little? Not necessarily drop the gloves mean, but using his size for a hit every once in a while).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

On Leo Carlsson (1st round, 2nd Overall)

He has unbelievable hockey sense in every phase of the game. He's so calm, yet so focused and aware of what's going on in the ice. He makes players around him better and that will continue to happen because every level he played at this year, he's able to do that. Whether he was playing wing or he was playing center at the World Championships, he rose to that level to a degree that allowed him to be one of the best players in every instance.

On top of that, he made his his linemates better. So that's number one. I think that's the most important part of his game that we see continue to allow him to grow into a dominant first line center for us in the future. Obviously he's not done growing. Mentally, he's really mature. He understands himself physically. He's still not there yet. He's really strong on the ice, but he's got so much more potential as he'll keep growing and he'll be a different kid physically two years from now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should be in the NHL unless he’s uncomfortable coming over this early in his career. Stuezle jumped straight over after being drafted and excelled.

He’s further along and more advanced than Stuezle was at that age

I certainly don’t want him playing in the AHL

The Fantilli/Carlsson debate is over, now it’s the can Carlsson make the NHL next year debate. If he is ready he is ready. Playing in the SHL will be a smoother transition to the NHL, and will always have the AHL to fall back on like they did with Zegras.

I kinda hope he doesn’t go back to the SHL, and watching him play, I don’t think he needs to, but that is just my opinion, our team management will know what’s best for him.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
It's pretty clear now with the Madden and Verbeek post draft interviews that they felt Carlsson had a higher ceiling than Fantilli, and by the way they're talking about him, it seems like they think it's a much higher ceiling.

I kinda hope he doesn’t go back to the SHL, and watching him play, I don’t think he needs to, but that is just my opinion, our team management will know what’s best for him.
My concern is that he won't play top line C minutes in the SHL after seeing interviews with his coach. I want to see him getting tons of ice time at center, preferably on NA ice.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
It's pretty clear now with the Madden and Verbeek post draft interviews that they felt Carlsson had a higher ceiling than Fantilli, and by the way they're talking about him, it seems like they think it's a much higher ceiling.

My concern is that he won't play top line C minutes in the SHL after seeing interviews with his coach. I want to see him getting tons of ice time at center, preferably on NA ice.
I agree..

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Fantilli/Carlsson debate is over, now it’s the can Carlsson make the NHL next year debate. If he is ready he is ready. Playing in the SHL will be a smoother transition to the NHL, and will always have the AHL to fall back on like they did with Zegras.

Here is Madden's assessment on Carlsson:

I think that's the most important part of his game that we see continue to allow him to grow into a dominant first line center for us in the future. Obviously he's not done growing. Mentally, he's really mature. He understands himself physically. He's still not there yet. He's really strong on the ice, but he's got so much more potential as he'll keep growing and he'll be a different kid physically two years from now.

From that comment by Madden, Carlsson isn't ready for the NHL next year. I'd prefer if he is designated to play a top-6 C in the SHL with Orebro. Since Carlsson has been developed well for the past two seasons with Orebro, I think spending a third season with them as a center this time around would be the best development path. No learning new coaches, new coaches' tendencies, new system, all new players, etc... with either the AHL or NHL club.

There's a long game here here with Carlsson. There's a long game overall since the 2022 TDL. I'm good with it b/c I think it'll pay off more effectively this way. #9 OA Zegras (NCAA) and #3 OA McTavish (CHL) took an extra year before going pro and looked great early. Let's continue said successful tradition.

Last edited:

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR

I think that's the most important part of his game that we see continue to allow him to grow into a dominant first line center for us in the future. Obviously he's not done growing. Mentally, he's really mature. He understands himself physically. He's still not there yet. He's really strong on the ice, but he's got so much more potential as he'll keep growing and he'll be a different kid physically two years from now.

From that comment by Madden, Carlsson isn't ready for the NHL next year. I'd prefer if he is designated to play a top-6 C in the SHL with Orebro. Since Carlsson has been developed well for the past two seasons with Orebro, I think spending a third season with them as a center this time around would be the best development path. No learning new coaches, new coaches' tendencies, new system, all new players, etc... with either the AHL or NHL club.

There's a long game here here with Carlsson. There's a long game overall since the 2022 TDL. I'm good with it b/c I think it'll pay off more effectively this way. #9 OA Zegras (NCAA) and #3 OA McTavish (CHL) took an extra year before going pro and looked great early. Let's continue said successful tradition.

100% agree it's the best course for his development. Also i'd be surprised if he's not a center full-time next season. He just centered the top line of Sweden's WC team.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think you are probably correct. I just want to see the spoils of last year’s putrid season, being a little impatient, but another year where he can really develop will be good for him.

My only reservation is like him under the Ducks development wings sooner, and developing with coaches and people like Getzlaf. I know you said SD is dicey now, but there is a new head coach, and they are getting a lot of reinforcements from the junior leagues who will be critical to our future. So why not add the 2ndOA as well.

Reactions: Ducks

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If this draft is as stacked as we are told it is, than maybe the standards for this draft were raised higher and that is why Carlssons shot and skating is a lot better than advertised. Compare the forwards from last year's class for example, Smith probably goes before Cooley, Wright and Slaf.

Several teams were trying so desperately to trade into the Top5. I'm glad Nashville wasn't able to, screw them lol.

Reactions: Beckett

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
id only want him going to back to the SHL if he's going to playing center full time. if not, would like to have him in the AHL playing center 1/2 line there. well, i'd actually like him to play in the NHL next season but i doubt that happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad