Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well at least Ducks fans reacted better to Carlsson than Habs fans did to Reinbacher
It was so embarrasing, I'm so sorry for Reinbacher having to go into trash fanbase like that.
-----
Well that's interesting if true @Static not sure why I cannot quote you.
But yeah, seems that a lot of people actually might have leaned Leo as #2 pick. Who would have that that couch experts like us have not the same opinion as professional scouts :laugh:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yep all the Fantilli fanboys should listen because we clearly made the right decision after hearing that

Fantilli was the more popular player due to winning gold. Don’t get me wrong he will have a heck of a career but I think Carlsson will be the better offensive talent. But don’t sleep on his two way play either. Think he could be our next Getzlaf and with even higher potential.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Given what we had in the system before the draft, I thought it should be Fantilli. But looking at what they picked and the scouting reports on the new guys, they clearly had a plan. Carlsson will work with more styles of players and Ducks now have a set 4 top 6 forwards. They picked guys that will compliment them really well and if they don't work out, are a very good basis for a 3rd line. Only two need to work out between the new picks, potentially the guys we get next year, Gaucher, Perreault, Tracey, Pasta, Nesterenko, Lundestrom (as a top 6 wing), and probably some guys I'm forgetting. If he was in shape, I wanted to see Comtois given one last shot with these forwards, but he's replaceable at this point.

Reactions: Kalv

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I wasn’t trying to imply he can’t do a good job or isn’t hard working but I can see how it came across that way. That said he absolutely is a bumbling weirdo as evidenced by the way he announced the pick lmao, I can’t bring myself to watch it out of second hand embarrassment. Maybe it isn’t as bad as I’m remembering it. I’m also an introvert as are many other people in public roles but you should get a little more adept at speaking publicly over time, and he’s had plenty of time. He also had to say one sentence
:laugh:
It's not as bad as it initially sounded. It's also on par with the average pick announcement, sadly or hilariously.

Unavailable in the EU. What is there?
Looks like it's on spotify among other services/website aswell. Search Cannon Fodder, CBJ podcast.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Fantilli was the more popular player due to winning gold. Don’t get me wrong he will have a heck of a career but I think Carlsson will be the better offensive talent. But don’t sleep on his two way play either. Think he could be our next Getzlaf and with even higher potential.

Fantilli was the popular choice for many reasons because you can visually see the elite speed, see the 1.81 ppg rate, the 30 goals as a freshman in college, the Hobey Baker award, and helping to win gold at the WJC-20 and WC. It's difficult to dissuade many with all those accomplishments by Fantilli along with the majority of scouting pundits stating there's a clear tier between Fantilli and Carlsson.

There couldn't be any discussion as to why Carlsson could be a possibility over Fantilli.

You have to do a deep dive into both Fantilli and Carlsson to notice how different each player is to each other while being highly productive. There are many videos out there citing the differences and flaws. Problem is that many scouts were infatuated with Fantilli's elite physical traits that they were willing to overlook his flaws. Elite Prospects also had their z-score card (deep analytics) depicted Fantilli a winger and Carlsson a center, which corroborates what the video scouting showed. I've shared that score card on page 4 of this thread.

Carlsson, z score (EP).png

Fantilliz, z score (EP).png

I did my own deep dive into Fantilli to show a pattern that his offense disappears against tougher competition whereas Carlsson did not since WJC-18. The same pattern emerged at the WC. Because too many were too invested in Fantilli, they rationalized the WC as a one-off, small sample and didn't accept the pattern I found, which aligns with the EP's score card and the scouting videos showing Fantilli's flaws.

Fantilli is still a great prospect, who I project will be a high scoring winger. Anaheim wanted a center and having a higher hockey sense lends itself better to becoming a center. It's easier to improve one's skating than it is to improve hockey sense.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fantilli was the popular choice for many reasons because you can visually see the elite speed, see the 1.81 ppg rate, the 30 goals as a freshman in college, the Hobey Baker award, and helping to win gold at the WJC-20 and WC. It's difficult to dissuade many with all those accomplishments by Fantilli along with the majority of scouting pundits stating there's a clear tier between Fantilli and Carlsson.

There couldn't be any discussion as to why Carlsson could be a possibility over Fantilli.

You have to do a deep dive into both Fantilli and Carlsson to notice how different each player is to each other while being highly productive. There are many videos out there citing the differences and flaws. Problem is that many scouts were infatuated with Fantilli's elite physical traits that they were willing to overlook his flaws. Elite Prospects also had their z-score card (deep analytics) depicted Fantilli a winger and Carlsson a center, which corroborates what the video scouting showed. I've shared that score card on page 4 of this thread.

I did my own deep dive into Fantilli to show a pattern that his offense disappears against tougher competition whereas Carlsson did not since WJC-18. The same pattern emerged at the WC. Because too many were too invested in Fantilli, they rationalized the WC as a one-off, small sample and didn't accept the pattern I found, which aligns with the EP's score card and the scouting videos showing Fantilli's flaws.

Fantilli is still a great prospect, who I project will be a high scoring winger. Anaheim wanted a center and having a higher hockey sense lends itself better to becoming a center. It's easier to improve one's skating than it is to improve hockey sense.

Wish I could like this twice. Well said. Like I posted above If two GM’s wanted Leo, that’s a really good sign.

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014
Fantilli seems like such a cool, laid back dude.

Really wanted him, and i was freakin` shocked when i heard Pat say 'From SHL ...". But reading more and more about his IQ, and seeing that Columbus actually wanted Carlsson, too, makes me think we took the right decision.

Still think that Fantilli is one bad ass dude, though. I dont care about winning gold, what he did in NCAA though was awesome.

Reactions: lwvs84

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The skating thing is overblown for me. It might not quite be on par with his puck skills, but that doesn't make it a weakness. There are times where he winds up and attacks the neutral zone looking like an unstoppable freight train, much like Getz.

Players with their size, skill and vision don't have to be the biggest burner on the ice, and it's frankly unfair when they are (ie McDavid).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The skating thing is overblown for me. It might not quite be on par with his puck skills, but that doesn't make it a weakness. There are times where he winds up and attacks the neutral zone looking like an unstoppable freight train, much like Getz.

Players with their size, skill and vision don't have to be the biggest burner on the ice, and it's frankly unfair when they are (ie McDavid).

Fantilli's skating is a hindrance to his hockey sense b/c he's always playing at ludicrious speed and his teammates cannot keep up with him, putting Fantilli on an island in the neutral and offensive zones often. The EP score card transition area reflects that void.

Carlsson's got average skating, but he can change the pace to adapt to the situation, which makes use of his teammates better.

Reactions: Masch78 and Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad