Lefebvre Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
Maybe the guy just isn't cut out to be a head coach. He was good defenseman for the organization, a loyal foot soldier. Did a lot of the dirty work. Martin Lemay put Martin Lapointe on the spot on air and he said that when they took over the farm team was a mess. What does any of us really know about coaching and developing players? If they keep losing and not developing then eventually they will all get canned. Bring back the Nordiques, that will light a fire under them.

You are right, they have been way too complacent since the Nordiques are gone. This is ridiculous as hell.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That won't happen. Nobody's that dumb........

Molson and Bergevin are. Julien doesn't coach a single game with the Habs and he gets 5 years. Bergevin has yet to bring real success to this team and Molson signed him for a super long contract.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Molson and Bergevin are. Julien doesn't coach a single game with the Habs and he gets 5 years. Bergevin has yet to bring real success to this team and Molson signed him for a super long contract.

You're too pessimistic. Wasn't Therrien fired like the 1st year into a 5 year extension? Signing Julien is like trading for Tavares and giving him an extension before he plays. His reputation makes him worth it.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Getting it right in the top 5 ? Good but not a great accomplishment.

Why only 05, what about 03 and 04? Kots over Carter and Chipchura over Zajac? 2 top 6 C right there.

2007 was a great draft no one disputes that.

You give TT credit, but in the same paragraph mention all the great players he missed and say how can you blame him? Re read what you wrote, how can you not blame him is my question. You listed like 20 better players than the guy's he chose but he should be left off the hook? 3 bust in a row but how could Timmins have known how can we blame him LOL. Who wants Kuznetzov or Klefboom or O'Rielly. Who needs Faulk or Krieder of Johansson.?

Theodore/Hartman are ahead of Mac right now and have more value I would take them in heartbeat over Mac. Pasternak was drafted 1 spot before, but what about HoSang. And I think Beauviller might have a better career than Julssen taken 2 picks after him. Already played in the NHL. Serge got us Drouin, but Chychurn is in the NHL and some say McAvoy has passed him. Not to mention 3 big C's taken right after him.

Not sure how after what you wrote you can say TT has been doing a great job in the 1st round. You basically listed 20+ players better than the guys we chose but just said its not Timmins fault how can you expect him to ever get it right.

He had a great 2007 but outside of that his 1st round picks have been disappointments to out right busts. Price at 5 great move. AG at 3 good move in a crap draft. The rest sucks.

So after wishing Lefebvre had a magic wand, you guys expect Timmins to have a chrystal ball and hit for 1.000 at the bat every years despite drafting that low so many times? I thought my point was clear, when Timmins has a chance to pick high, he basically never miss.. On another hand, when you draft low its tougher for any teams to get a quality NHLer, projections are tougher to do, you need some luck and there are very few players that turn into NHLers.. I try to understand your logic, for example in 2004, you are giving me one name, Zajac, that you suggest Timmins should have drafted over Chipchura if he was a competent head scout, right? So thats the only name you have to give me, Travis Zajac? An average second line center with basically 0.5 pts\ game rate? While you are crying on Zajac, take a look at the long list of busts around where we picked.. You see now? No? ok..

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Just another thing broken on this team. The defense, the center line, the drafting, the development...

Literally everything important in a team. We have this doofus GM trying to trade his way into a cup, yet he derides fans saying this isn't playstation. Of all the GMs in the league, he might be the one closest to making playstation like decisions.

Lefebvre is freaking moron, worse than Therrien, this is inexcusable.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think I'm pretty fair regarding Bergevin... happy to give the guy props for plenty of good moves, criticize him for the bad, and give him the benefit of the doubt when there were multiple variables at play.

But this is pure fertilizer crap. Honestly, I can't make sense of it. How does any employee put up a series of zeroes on his resume and walk away with a new contract?? Sure, there's an argument that Timmins shares the blame for all these failed picks, but at least he has a track record that says he can draft well. But Sylvain LeZero has frikkin zero.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
No real surprise here is it, folks?

Our GM is a former plug grinder and so are all the buddies he's hired including SL. Mediocre former player, mediocre GM, mediocre drafting, mediocre development, mediocre outlook, mediocre shot at a Cup. The silver lining here is that we don't really have any real prospects left to develop anyway so coaching in the AHL is largely a moot point.

Geoff "Mediocre" Molson should be proud. He's letting the patients run the asylum. Bravo.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It been 4/5 years, The AHL team isn't winning, there doesn't seem to be anyone progressing, the team is moving to Laval seem normal that you would not give him one more year and bring in some new blood.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lefebvre will be heavily scrutinized if he is in fact returning.

The guy is so good that no one hired him for their NHL staff despite several staff turnovers across the league. His friend Phil Housley, who was finally named head coach, also wants nothing to do with him.

Nobody wants this guy, obvious to everyone except MB.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I never knew this story, but :laugh:!

"After winning the Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 1996, Lefebvre was involved in an incident that attracted media attention. As part of tradition, each player on the Stanley Cup winning team can take personal possession of the trophy for a day during the summer following the championship, a practice that has led to several misadventures. When it was his turn, Lefebvre decided to have his daughter baptized in it."

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
This thread is funny. I'm amazed by the level of pure hatred toward a coach nobody here has ever been coached by, that nobody knows personally, and whose team very few people here have followed on a nightly basis other than on the scoresheet. The intensity of the hatred is totally insane. The board has decided to make him the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong in the farm system and everybody is following the herd like... goats!

And before somebody screams "but look at THE RESULTS!", let me tell you something : no coach in the world can make a bad team be a good team. Mike Sullivan, now considered among the top coaches in the NHL, was once fired by the Bruins from failing to get any result. Mike Babcock, widely considered as the best coach in the NHL, has failed to bring his team far in the playoffs for many years. Should the Leafs fire him?

I'm not even saying that Lefebvre is a good coach. The truth is that, like 100% of the people on this board, I have no idea because I have no first hand experience of his coaching methods. All I know is that fans usually judge a coach's competency by the results only, and that's normal because that's the only part of his record that we can actually get a grip on. And when the management of a team decides to follow the herd too, that sometimes leads to bad decisions... like the Bruins firing Sullivan.

So I don't know about Lefebvre. All I know is that I'm happy that we have a GM who, by everyone's account, is a very hard worker (Timmins interview today is worth watching), who believes stability in an organisation is important, who chose the people he thinks are the best in every position, and who won't let a herd of hateful and impatient armchair quarterbacks make him change his stance everytime the wind changes direction. And for that, I applaud him.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think I'm pretty fair regarding Bergevin... happy to give the guy props for plenty of good moves, criticize him for the bad, and give him the benefit of the doubt when there were multiple variables at play.

But this is pure fertilizer crap. Honestly, I can't make sense of it. How does any employee put up a series of zeroes on his resume and walk away with a new contract?? Sure, there's an argument that Timmins shares the blame for all these failed picks, but at least he has a track record that says he can draft well. But Sylvain LeZero has frikkin zero.

Bergevin appears to have an issue distancing himself from those he appoints, when the time comes to evaluate their performances and making them accountable. And that goes for scouting and development equally. Five years is more than enough time to decide if someone has done the job. I don't care how hard Bergevin works or how hard his minions say he works, at the end of the day, hard work is only one ingredient amongst many that contributes to success.

We need a GM that works both hard and smart, not just one who gets cheap accolades about working the phones, who allegedly gets up every day and wonders how to make the team better (hint: take a closer look at those you have given jobs for life) or who is in constant contact with every GM in the league -- I wouldn't be surprised if all GMs "work hard" and they all do what Bergevin does. Somehow, some of them are getting results that Bergevin can't. Maybe it's time to give a sendoff to those who are toxically too close to him, who are severely impairing his judgment -- and one of the low hanging fruits in this department is Lefebvre.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
This thread is funny. I'm amazed by the level of pure hatred toward a coach nobody here has ever been coached by, that nobody knows personally, and whose team very few people here have followed on a nightly basis other than on the scoresheet. The intensity of the hatred is totally insane. The board has decided to make him the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong in the farm system and everybody is following the herd like... goats!

And before somebody screams "but look at THE RESULTS!", let me tell you something : no coach in the world can make a bad team be a good team. Mike Sullivan, now considered among the top coaches in the NHL, was once fired by the Bruins from failing to get any result. Mike Babcock, widely considered as the best coach in the NHL, has missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Should the Leafs fire him?

I'm not even saying that Lefebvre is a good coach. The truth is that, like 100% of the people on this board, I have no idea because I have no first hand experience of his coaching methods. All I know is that fans usually judge a coach's competency by the results only, and that's normal because that's the only part of his record that we can actually get a grip on. And when the management of a team decides to follow the herd too, that sometimes leads to bad decisions... like the Bruins firing Sullivan.

So I don't know about Lefebvre. All I know is that I'm happy that we have a GM who, by everyone's account, is a very hard worker (Timmins interview today is worth watching), who believes stability in an organisation is important, who chose the people he thinks are the best in every position, and who won't let a herd of hateful and impatient armchair quarterbacks make him change his stance everytime the wind changes direction. And for that, I applaud him.

Very good post, nobody really know how competent Lefebvre is for the job, I know his first goal is players development over win must mode, but one thing I know he has very few good players to work with.. I would be more worried if kids we drafted like Tinordi would blossom elsewhere but its not happening yet.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
You are right, they have been way too complacent since the Nordiques are gone. This is ridiculous as hell.

Competition within the PQ market would force the Habs to step up their game big time. Coaching staff, scouts, getting local talent and so on. As soon as the Quebec team would make a good move, Montreal would be forced to make something happen as well otherwise they'd lose a part of the bandwagoners' market. Hence that's why Molson does not want a rival team in his backyard.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
And before somebody screams "but look at THE RESULTS!", let me tell you something : no coach in the world can make a bad team be a good team. Mike Sullivan, now considered among the top coaches in the NHL, was once fired by the Bruins from failing to get any result. Mike Babcock, widely considered as the best coach in the NHL, has missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Should the Leafs fire him?

No offense, but I would reconsider these two paragraphs cause they practically sabotage your entire case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad