News Article: Lebreton project

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Is the Ottawa Senators relocation plan on the verge of collapse? - The Globe and Mail

Ruddy’s group certainly has the backing of local business leaders. In an Oct. 11 letter sent to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, and provided Thursday to The Globe and Mail, a spokesperson said he represented “a large number of concerned leaders in law, banking and finance, real estate, building and trades, labour, construction, information technology, tourism and hospitality, First Nations, philanthropy, public opinion, science, health care, government, the media – all sectors that make up the foundational leadership of Canada’s National Capital Region.”
Calling themselves the Capital Built Task Force, they told Bettman they “wholeheartedly endorse” the project as well as the Senators moving downtown. They expressed, however, “serious concerns over the intentions of Senators’ owner Mr. Eugene Melnyk, and whether he in fact is committed to moving the team downtown.”
They even provided a survey undertaken by Abacus Data in which 60 per cent of responding Ottawans would support “NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and the NHL getting involved to ensure the project moves ahead on time.”
Bettman responded on Oct. 23, thanking them for the letter but saying, “While I cannot speak for the Senators (only Eugene Melnyk can), I am always happy to chat with concerned constituents. Please feel free to call.”

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm not surprised by this at all. This project, from the point of view that it funds an arena and Melnyk makes a ton of money, has never made financial sense to me

It's a 4B deal. that seems to be the oft quoted number. If the entire project returned a 15% profit then it funds the arena minus any type of NPV assessment. The research I've done doesn't show condo projects returning 15% and even if this particular deal did....all of that return is not Melnyk's.

The money doesn't add to me.

I don't see the incremental revenue from a downtown arena being anywhere close to sufficient to fund the project. And if the revenue cannot fund it then there's an equity injection required and I don't see the ROI on that equity injection.

There seems to be this overwhelming view that Melnyk makes a boatload on this but I don't see where it comes from. it will not come from a massive increase in arena rentals. there are only so many arena rock shows touring at any point in time and we're not losing out on 50 dates a year because our rink is in Kanata. If we're talking hockey revenues increasing the only way that happens is with increased ticket prices and that brings in to question whether the market can absorb the increase.

personally I don't see the windfall. and before I get jumped on for saying so....I'm not coming out with this opinion as a result of this week...I've expressed this before.

you can't spend 600M on something without an ROI model and that model would need to consider the opportunity cost on the 600M. I don't see it making sense without public investment. that's not to say public investment makes sense, just that private investment does not.

if anyone wants to layout some numbers that shows it all making sense please do.

and for those that want to throw out a whack of LOLs and call me a "shill"... I'm qualified to be involved in building this type of ROI model so before you make a "shill" type comment, consider whether your career would get you hired to produce this kind of ROI model

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm not surprised by this at all. This project, from the point of view that it funds an arena and Melnyk makes a ton of money, has never made financial sense to me

It's a 4B deal. that seems to be the oft quoted number. If the entire project returned a 15% profit then it funds the arena minus any type of NPV assessment. The research I've done doesn't show condo projects returning 15% and even if this particular deal did....all of that return is not Melnyk's.

I don't see the incremental revenue from a downtown arena being anywhere close to sufficient to fund the project. And if the revenue cannot fund it then there's an equity injection required and I don't see the ROI on that equity injection.

There seems to be this overwhelming view that Melnyk makes a boatload on this but I don't see where it comes from. it will not come from a massive increase in arena rentals. there are only so many arena rock shows touring at any point in time and we're not losing out on 50 dates a year because our rink is in Kanata. If we're talking hockey revenues increasing the only way that happens is with increased ticket prices and that brings in to question whether the market can absorb the increase.

personally I don't see the windfall. and before I get jumped on for saying so....I'm not coming out with this opinion as a result of this week...I've expressed this before.

you can't spend 600M on something without an ROI model and that model would need to consider the opportunity cost on the 600M. I don't see it making sense without public investment. that's not to say public investment makes sense, just that private investment does not.

if anyone wants to layout some numbers that shows it all making sense please do.

and for those that want to throw out a whack of LOLs and call me a "shill"... I'm qualified to be involved in building this type of ROI model so before you make a "shill" type comment, consider whether your career would get you hired to produce this kind of ROI model
And yet other superior businessmen want to complete the deal.

What is Melnyk's alternative?

Reactions: Rand0m and Engineer

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

He probably just expects the land value to appreciate over time given its central location.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Wouldn't call you a shill, but Melnyk should absolutely hire you as a replacement for Rudkowski(or wtv his name is). What a beauty of a spin job.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
“While I cannot speak for the Senators (only Eugene Melnyk can), I am always happy to chat with concerned constituents. Please feel free to call.”

Translation: I can't write what I want to say but we can speak "off the record" over the phone...

I hope this leads to a sale. I can't/won't get my hopes up, but hopefully we're at the breaking point.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm not suggesting he has one...I'm saying this deal doesn't fund a 600M arena
The ROI is in the increase in the value of his asset, plus the money to be made off of the land deal.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
“While I cannot speak for the Senators (only Eugene Melnyk can), I am always happy to chat with concerned constituents. Please feel free to call.”

Translation: I can't write what I want to say but we can speak "off the record" over the phone...

I hope this leads to a sale. I can't/won't get my hopes up, but hopefully we're at the breaking point.

I hope it leads to a sale too and it may well be a breaking point... I just can't get my head around how that arena gets funded...the incremental revenue from Kanata to Lebreton won't fund that rink... maybe if you have a condo developer that owns the team that's willing to accept lower ROI on a larger deal but even that gets thin

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The ROI is in the increase in the value of his asset, plus the money to be made off of the land deal.
ya that all sounds good Sensung but it unfortunately isn't the way it works

the arena needs to be built and it costs money to do that. there isn't enough money in the deal to do it

what money made off the land deal are you referring to?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
if you can lay out the math Sensung. ... go for it
Your assumption is wrong.

Why does the deal have to fund the arena completely?

The ROI to Melnyk is also in the increase in the value of the Sens.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

From the value of a toy for billionaires in a professional sports franchise increasing. He bought it cheap over a decade ago. If he can sell with a brand new arena in the heart of the city... the value of the team has gone way up over time. An arena downtown that can host an anchor tenant and major concerts and events is attractive as well. It may not play well with a traditional ROI sheet but look around at what sports franchises sell for.

And while you may have your model: two bids with major investors in construction thought enough of the value of land and condos within walking distance of downtown to join or submit a bid.

So it's not just some anonymous hf boards poster here. You're saying dozens of people, many who have made fortunes in construction are all wrong.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm not suggesting he has one...I'm saying this deal doesn't fund a 600M arena
I am not as versed in the revenues a building generates but i wondered how this would work. I assumed Some arena would come from the developers in order to include an arena w/ team in the bid. I also assumed Melnyk would try holding taxpayers hostage. There must be sufficient ROI as new arenas and stadiums are built all the time.

Let’s just be glad this came up before they finalized the deal, maybe this precipitates a sale to either the rest of the RVL group or the Devcore group.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
ya that all sounds good Sensung but it unfortunately isn't the way it works

the arena needs to be built and it costs money to do that. there isn't enough money in the deal to do it

what money made off the land deal are you referring to?
It could work multiple ways. Just because it doesn’t work for Melnyk’s “use other people’s money, assume zero risk, pile up debt and then blame fans for not making every part of my business holdings make money”scheme, that doesn’t mean that other businessmen couldn’t find a model that works for them.

The fact that other groups are willing to buy the team from Melnyk and take over his portion of the deal proves that your analysis is flawed.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Melnyk apparently wants other people to pay for the entirety of the arena for him. How does THAT make any financial sense to anyone else involved in the deal?

If we're going to talk about "finances not making sense in this deal", then let's put this at the top of the list in permanent marker, hilighted, circled in red with glitter-ink arrows pointing to it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We also have to realize Mr. Melnyk has a dedicated fanbase in Kanata to think about.

"Mr Melnyk remains loyal to the dozens of Stitttsville Senators fans who have supported him throughout his ownership. To turn his back on them would be an insult to the great relationship this organization shares with... I don't know, how many people would go see an Econoline Crush reunion tour? Like, that many people".

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What money would Melnyk make on the rest of the project ?
Melnyk is to get a portion of the condo $.

He’d also make money off the increase in the number of events run at Lebreton and the increase amount he could charge for the arena rental for those events.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Melnyk apparently wants other people to pay for the entirety of the arena for him. How does THAT make any financial sense to anyone else involved in the deal?

If we're going to talk about "finances not making sense in this deal", then let's put this at the top of the list in permanent marker, hilighted, circled in red with glitter-ink arrows pointing to it.

I'm not professing to know what Melnyk is or isn't looking for in the deal

what I am saying is I cannot land on a business deal where this thing makes sense in terms of funding a 600M arena.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Melnyk is to get a portion of the condo $.

He’d also make money off the increase in the number of events run at Lebreton and the increase amount he could charge for the arena rental for those events.
Why in the world would he get condo dollars ? Did you read this somewhere, I’d be shocked, other than some arena funding by the developers which I would hope would be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad