News Article: Lebreton project

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cue a sudden interest in Trinity Developments' role in this deal by random teen girls on Twitter.
I wonder, and someone plugged in might know, when Melnyk started questioning the viability of the project due to the high number of Condos now being built or approved in the area, was he beginning to leverage the other partners to partially fund his arena or he would pull out. Honestly, I have never figured out what value Melnyk was bringing to the bid.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
This is potentially disastrous to the Sens, but as an Ottawa resident this is awful. This is so huge for the city. Melnyk better figure it out fast.
I can only imagine what's going through the heads of Bettman et al. Could this be what forces Gary to step in? He has to know this is a huge opportunity for the franchise long-term.

Reactions: Smeddy

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I wonder, and someone plugged in might know, when Melnyk started questioning the viability of the project due to the high number of Condos now being built or approved in the area, was he beginning to leverage the other partners to partially fund his arena or he would pull out. Honestly, I have never figured out what value Melnyk was bringing to the bid.

He brings the Ottawa Senators. That's it. There is obviously uncertainty building an arena if he is not involved in the bid. He guarantees a full time tenant for the building. Without him, a deal would have to be made with him to become a tenant there (unlikely given his track record), or he'd have to sell the team to someone involved with the other group (also potentially unlikely given his stance on owning it forever and ever).

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
That faint sound you're hearing is the count squirming to come up with a positive spin on this.

Big surprise that melnyk is unable to play nice with partners. I think we're seeing the beginning of the end here.

"Eugene Melnyk is the Owner of this Franchise....he has an absolute right to determine who he Partners with."

Something like that?

Reactions: Upgrayedd

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is potentially disastrous to the Sens, but as an Ottawa resident this is awful. This is so huge for the city. Melnyk better figure it out fast.
As an Ottawa resident I have been cringing at the idea of Melnyk being involved in any capacity with a massive project like this. It can only result in ruin, everything he touches is destroyed and corrupted.

We need someone bigger and better for this project, this team and this city.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Hahahahahahaha the only people who couldn’t see this coming had their view obscured while riding his nutsack.

I’m more curious now about the next steps and what exactly happens now.

Reactions: Sensung

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Sounds to me like they can't agree on what kind of role Melnyk will play after that rumoured new partnership agreement/injection of $$$ takes place.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I operate on the assumption that a building will get built eventually at the Lebreton site and that the Ottawa Senators will play there, I deem today as positive news as I also believe that the current Sens owner is a walking disaster and infects everything he touches anything to expedite his departure from the team and city is great news to me, I would prefer the current owner have zero involvement in the project even if it delays it for many years. This is a massive project that needs to be correctly executed...there's no room for clowns at the table in this deal imo.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
Melnyk is such a joke. Guaranteed it's his ego getting in the way of things. I understand in massive deals like this there's a lot of complexity and issues to iron out but they've had like what almost 2 years since they were announced as the preferred proponent? C'mon now...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Sounds to me like they can't agree on what kind of role Melnyk will play after that rumoured new partnership agreement/injection of $$$ takes place.

Eugene at every major corporate position, mirroring the current Ottawa Senators operation? "Character's" is a kind way to put it!

Reactions: Silencio

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He brings the Ottawa Senators. That's it. There is obviously uncertainty building an arena if he is not involved in the bid. He guarantees a full time tenant for the building. Without him, a deal would have to be made with him to become a tenant there (unlikely given his track record), or he'd have to sell the team to someone involved with the other group (also potentially unlikely given his stance on owning it forever and ever).

No Lebreton, no partners, no investments, #EmptyCTC, etc. make it impractical and unsustainable for Melnyk to own this team forever. NHL BOG won't stand by while he is bleeding the brand and NHL's overall revenue. It costs other NHL owners when they share their revenue to keep Melnyk afloat.

Remember Elliott reporting recently about Melnyk making an "impassioned" speech at the BOG meeting about owning this team for the foreseeable future? Why did he do that? Perhaps because BOG is already questioning the Sens ownership?

Quite simply, #MelnykBoycott #EmptyCTC #MelnykOut.

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Interesting take here:

I mean, it's all speculation, but thoughts?

Makes sense, but the owner could be somebody else who wants a piece of Lebreton and can still partner with Trinity. There is immense interest on Lebreton and the appetite for an NHL arena downtown (as demonstrated by the competing bid). Having an NHL team only boosts the overall value of Lebreton for all comers.

Yes the time is now for Eugene to cut his losses and maximize profit on a sale. He may choose not to, in which case the winning bid is nullfied and new application process will take place. As an Ottawa resident, I want Lebreton to be done right and beautifully, so it's good to see the City and the Commission finally showing some teeth in this matter.

Last edited:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Makes sense, but the owner could be somebody else who wants a piece of Lebreton and can still partner with Trinity. There is immense interest on Lebreton and the apetite for an NHL arena downtown (as demonstrated by the competing bid). Having an NHL team only boosts the overall value of Lebreton for all comers.

The common denominator for those scenarios is Melnyk not being in the picture.

At this point, that's probably all Ruddy wants.

Reactions: FlyingJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad