Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 7-6 in OT

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Nope. Give him his 20 or so games. He deserves a fair shot to prove himself after last season and I don't care how bad it gets give him his 20 maybe he'll find his groove.

(Unless you can grab Pickard back and waive Sparks)

You realize 20 games = 40 potential points lol would you rather be a lottery team?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
This is on the coaches. When you have a weak defence and goaltending, you better pressure the player with the puck. Sparks is NOT an NHL goalie, never was never will be. Even last year with the Marlies, he was average at best and very lucky because he has poor technique. He would not have duplicated last years stats.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sparks should have saved those last 2 goals. Bad defence but unacceptable goaltending

I accept that this is part of Sparks' development. Management made their choice. Now they need to make him better
He had a bad game but this is rather tough. It was a snipe from one of the best offensive players in the world with a ton of time on his hand, and a shot going wide directed into the net by his own defender. In both those particular instances, I dislike the defense more. My overarching issue is how Babcock has us playing these minutes. But Sparks share the blame with our defense for this game being close. He looked like the goalie some have disparaged him as. Let's hope he bounces back for the next one.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Yeah there is a lot of adjustments to be made clearly. Early in the season.

First 15 to 20 games are figuring out what you have usually. Or at least some of your guys.

It's a W though. . Just really wacky start so far.
It might be early but so far, it shows that you have an awful GM.

Look, he did NOTHING in terms of upgrading the D. He sucks at making decisions - tough decisions and evaluating talent - in this example, evaluating goaltenders. Sparks is crap. If Andersen goes down for any reason, they are done. A fan here already pointed that out. That's a HORRIBLE situation to put your team in but Dubas has done it already.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
An incredibly entertaining win. After Kapanen was put on Matthews' line it changed the tone of the game.

I don't think our defensive play was as bad as the score indicated. Sparks was sub par.

It was the other way around. Defensive play was extremely sub par. Especially at the end. Sparks was left as the scapegoat.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Sparks could have been better but he was not to blame for either of the two EN goals. That blame falls on Babcock, and the D pairings. No aggressiveness, they just let them have the puck and pass it around to their best player, twice in a minute. Kane is too good to miss out on easy pickings.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Sparks has played like garbage this season but I can understand Dubas keeping him far more than I can understand Babcock keeping Hainsey on the top pair.

Well to be fair, if Hainsey isn't playing alot who else do the Leafs have that could play top 4 minutes? Dermott is the only other guy that seems capable right now and I guess Babcock isn't ready to hand him a top four position yet.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I am probaly crazy but i only WTF once tonight with our D that was the Gards giveaway at the end od 2nd.

D was soft in front of our net but lots of these goals i am blaming squarely on Sparks.

I think they move the puck better tonight and hate to say it but Marincin didnt play bad.

Reactions: kb

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Maybe it's the new equipment? Goalies can't JUST be big in the net anymore.
We could see a whole batch of goalies get run outta towns this season.
I was even thinking this while watching the game. If I'm a forward or dman, I'm actually trying to aim for the five-hole more than usual. Maybe, that reduced area for the pads is making it just a little tougher for the goalies? Regardless, I'm trying to shoot there maybe a bit more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad