Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Jake Guentzel signs extension with the Lightning (7 years, $9M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sports123

Dec 17, 2023
Guentzel has been more consistent over his whole career and has much better ppg in play off than Reinheart. So at least I don't see how Reinheart is better than Guentzel.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Reinhart never had his numbers pumped by playing with Crosby and Malkin.

I don't think Reinhart has suffered from any lack of talent to play with, and it's already been pointed out in this thread that Guentzel continued producing even when their top centers were out. He also went to Carolina and flourished without them.

The two contracts are pretty close though, Reinhart with the 8th year actually got a much larger guarantee, while Guentzel gets a slightly higher AAV. That doesn't seem out of line or laughable to me at all. The vast majority of folks who state issue with Guentzel making 9M, are likely just unaware how consistently productive he's been throughout his career. All of his peers are making 8-10M or more by his age

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
That state tax though. Guentzel on Tampa looks good but letting Stamkos and Sergachev go I think they're worse.
Seeing non-Tampa fans saying losing Sergachev makes us worse is such a silly premise, given that you don't follow the team or understand the dynamics of what kind of player he is...Stamkos is being replaced with Guentzel, who is better at 5v5 and will be long-term points-wise as well. Sergachev was paid 2/2.5 million more than he's worth and he's overrated as a trade prospect as well. I get that all fans do this during free agent time but Tampa Bay is definitely a better team, gotta consider McDonagh and Moser added as well.

There is still some mystery with the Stamkos situation and he probably won't come back but never say never.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Guentzel has been more consistent over his whole career and has much better ppg in play off than Reinheart. So at least I don't see how Reinheart is better than Guentzel.
The Reinhart in Florida is definitely a better player than Guentzel has been the past 3 years. Also Reinhart is better defensively and he fits Barkov to a T. Making them both better players. The question here is Guentzel going to be better with Kucherov or without Crosby. He is going to get a chance to play with another great player so maybe it works out for both?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Reinhart in Florida is definitely a better player than Guentzel has been the past 3 years. Also Reinhart is better defensively and he fits Barkov to a T. Making them both better players. The question here is Guentzel going to be better with Kucherov or without Crosby. He is going to get a chance to play with another great player so maybe it works out for both?
I think the Guentzel deal is fine. I'm not sure why people think this guy was getting 10 on the open market in a year when the Leafs aren't shopping.

Reinhart deal is amazing. Panther fans should be ecstatic.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
They gonna need one, i mean the salary cap was brought in to level the playing field to begin with kinda ironic tbh lol
Are the allure of big markets gonna be apart of the cap next? ridiculous suggestion. Canadian teams get unfair advantages with marketing opportunities for stars, big cities like NY, LA, Toronto and Montreal all get players joining their team, and especially with forcing their way out of their draft rights as a college player to go play in NY or Boston.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
They gonna need one, i mean the salary cap was brought in to level the playing field to begin with kinda ironic tbh lol
The cap was not brought in to level the playing field. It was brought in for owners to have cost certainty because players salaries bloated to 75% of league revenue. Not profits, but revenue. When the cap was implemented owners locked out the players to reign those in. Parity was a by-product of cost certainty but inevitably not the main goal of the salary cap. But you know continue on with your crying.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Reactions: KingsFan7824

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I'm unsure why there's a constant desire to debate whether every contract is either a steal or an overpay. There is a lot of middle ground that exists between those and that's where the majority of contracts actually fall. This one just seems like pretty fair market value based on how his peers have been compensated.
People get so emotional over where people go and why and for how much. Everyone is just sour grapes because the Lightning are still a contender, and the team has already gotten significantly better this offseason.

Ignatius

Utah Direwolf
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
hfallontonight-jake-guentzel-most-likely-to-play-beavis-in-the-22592373.png

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Reing
Reinhart just scored 57 goals and had a strong playoff run on the way to a cup. I don't think it's possible to argue in the here and now that Guentzel is the better player.

I feel like we paid a market value price for a good player. I'm just hoping there are more moves coming, because we're still only marginally better than last year, and we weren't very good last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad